The OFFICIAL Off-Season Thread

jagknife

1 minute ago, Crisis said:

Daaaaaaamn if it comes down to Laviolette or Hynes pretty sure I gotta go with Laviolette.  

15 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

I think Hynes style/system would be a pretty good fit for most of the Rangers players except Panarin. Can't see a Panarin-Hynes relationship working too well.

Really seems like a LOT of Ranger fans have soured on Panarin...he's averaged about 31 G and 74 A per 82 GP as a Ranger in the regular season, but now has that dreaded "Doesn't do sh!t in the playoffs" rep.  Not that I mind that one bit... 

Speaking of the enemy, kinda seems like their core is what it is...not sure how much that Drury can really tweak at this point.  They have a little money to spend, but two kids to sign (does Lafreniere deserve much more than 2 years @ $2.5 million per?  I say no, but I can see him getting 3 or 4 years at, say, $3.5 million or so per, with the Rangers taking a chance on him becoming a bargain sooner than later).  Not sure if they have prospects ready to graduate...of course, that frees up some money to spend elsewhere...like, say, hanging onto to Tarasenko (I say go right ahead...that ain't helpin' them get to where they want to go).

New York Rangers Salary Cap, Draft Picks, and Player Contracts - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Really seems like a LOT of Ranger fans have soured on Panarin...he's averaged about 31 G and 74 A per 82 GP as a Ranger in the regular season, but now has that dreaded "Doesn't do sh!t in the playoffs" rep.  Not that I mind that one bit...    

A rep that he has earned. It's bad when you don't score points, but when you're invisible?  That's a hard $11M pill to swallow.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

A rep that he has earned. It's bad when you don't score points, but when you're invisible?  That's a hard $11M pill to swallow.

And that's why I (and others) are a lot less bullish on seeing Bratt blindly re-signed, just because.  I still think an extension for him probably gets done in time, but Bratt at Hughes money had better become a more consistent force...if he comes out slow next season, he's one of those guys fans are going to turn on quickly.  He can absolutely be electric at times, no question, but he can also be MIA where you almost wonder if he's playing, sometimes for several games at a time, and these playoffs were NOT kind to him...he looked EXACTLY like the kind of player who vanishes come playoff time.  Hopefully this past postseason was a real learning experience for him.  

• Like 2

On 5/25/2023 at 9:51 PM, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Are we sure it's not on Twitters end? They haven't been having a great 48 hours

It is turning out this is on Twitters end after all. They are limiting API Calls from sites now and it is low enough that we are hitting it quickly.

We might have to just copy the tweet text for now on :(

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And that's why I (and others) are a lot less bullish on seeing Bratt blindly re-signed, just because.  I still think an extension for him probably gets done in time, but Bratt at Hughes money had better become a more consistent force...if he comes out slow next season, he's one of those guys fans are going to turn on quickly.  He can absolutely be electric at times, no question, but he can also be MIA where you almost wonder if he's playing, sometimes for several games at a time, and these playoffs were NOT kind to him...he looked EXACTLY like the kind of player who vanishes come playoff time.  Hopefully this past postseason was a real learning experience for him.  

I just noticed for the first time you are in Annadale. Is Pru Thai still there? I love that place.

20 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Not easy to do with most Ranger fans.  There are exceptions, but they are EXTREMELY rare.  It's the dumbest fanbase that I've ever encountered, truly.  There's not much better in the sports world than watching that team fail yet again...especially when after being up 2-0 in the series, they clearly thought that their team had this thing won, we're on to the next round.

It really feels like the Devils could start to regain control of this rivalry...considering that the Rangers won one ECF during the Devils' many years of irrelevance, I can live with that.  They've won a whopping three playoff series over their last eight seasons.  fvck the Rangers.  All of 'em.  

From everything I saw and read in Hfboards and twitter, NYR, Tor, Mtl are the most annoying. When I read rangers fans boards, I feel bad for the rangers. I like the team as a rivalry, and good rivalry works only if your opponent is great. It`s not fun and historically non-interesting if you win 7-1 all the time against specific team. I like our first round - it`s obviously local sports history now. Series was great, we won it not because of the best goaltender wasn`t good, but even against best goaltender who was great.  It was interesting close series with ups and downs. But we were better and did it. 
But their fans act like they played against the weak team and even couldn`t find a way to win four games. They smashed Panarin and Zibanejad. Like they can find better players for their team. Yes, Hishier closed the gaps  and zones for Panarin. but Hischier himself didn`t score a lot more. And it`s not a problem, it`s just a way how Ruff find the key to win the series. It`s a Gallant fault. Things happenes. And the way how sad and anger fans are, I find annoying. Like I don`t like the cryers, who babywanging after loss to Carolina. At least it`s minority of devils fans now. 
Rangers lost to the third best team of the season. And they were 5-6th team. In 7 games. Make conclusions, turn the page.

Toronto and Mtl fans are mostly even better. At least rangers fans know something about teams they play against.

16 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

There are no "Hughes money". 7.9-8.4mil is what teams sign players on the actual rfa market for what Bratt did. If people will start to "he is playing for Hughes money but doesn`t make Hughes impact stuff" thing - it`s only problem of their expectations.

42 minutes ago, Guadana said:

There are no "Hughes money". 7.9-8.4mil is what teams sign players on the actual rfa market for what Bratt did. If people will start to "he is playing for Hughes money but doesn`t make Hughes impact stuff" thing - it`s only problem of their expectations.

Where did I say that I was expecting Hughes-level performance?  Hughes is a budding superstar who's underpaid for what he brings, and Bratt will likely be overpaid for what he'll bring.  They're not equals in terms of pure skill and talent and never will be, no matter what Bratt makes going forward.  What I was more getting at is that if Bratt continues to be borderline invisible during future postseasons, or slides too far back from 70-80 points per 82 GP, at $8 million AAV, not many Devils fans are going to be happy with that.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, DevilMinder said:

It is turning out this is on Twitters end after all. They are limiting API Calls from sites now and it is low enough that we are hitting it quickly.

Twitter is a joke, honestly I hope it dies away.

Or DM you can pay the ridiculous ransom they ask - isn't it something like 20M / year for unlimited calls?  You can cut that check, right?  :lol: 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Where did I say that I was expecting Hughes-level performance?  Hughes is a budding superstar who's underpaid for what he brings, and Bratt will likely be overpaid for what he'll bring.  They're not equals in terms of pure skill and talent and never will be, no matter what Bratt makes going forward.  What I was more getting at is that if Bratt continues to be borderline invisible during future postseasons, or slides too far back from 70-80 points per 82 GP, at $8 million AAV, not many Devils fans are going to be happy with that.

Why he should step back and not produce 70-80 points? He produced 6 points. It`s not the worst point result from top-6 players. He still produced a lot of offense. We should just not wait Tkachuk type of impact from him.  He is a player who create transition on the star level. Plus his playmaking abuility. He isn`t grinder or power forward or best forechecker. He doesn`t work well against physical teams, he works well against defensive-breakaway teams. Or against teams with bad defense(of course because he is good offensive player).

1 minute ago, Guadana said:

Why he should step back and not produce 70-80 points? He produced 6 points. It`s not the worst point result from top-6 players. He still produced a lot of offense. We should just not wait Tkachuk type of impact from him.  He is a player who create transition on the star level. Plus his playmaking abuility. He isn`t grinder or power forward or best forechecker. He doesn`t work well against physical teams, he works well against defensive-breakaway teams. Or against teams with bad defense(of course because he is good offensive player).

C'mon, Bratt was invisible for considerable stretches during the playoffs...Timo may not have come up with a lot of points, but he was a lot more noticeable in general.  Bratt's lone goal came on an empty-netter...I can't really make much of a case for him having produced a lot of offense.  I didn't see a guy who was unlucky or snakebitten, as much as I saw a player who was pretty easily neutralized, to a concerning degree.  I gotta be fair though...it's not like the Devils lit it up offensively as a team come playoff time.

As far as potentially "stepping back", after he got off to that flying start, he played 67 games (regular season and playoffs combined) and put up 23 G and 26 A...that's good for 28 G and 32 A per 82 GP.  Now of course hopefully he doesn't slide back to that degree over the course of a full regular season...but if he did, I can't see a 60-or-so-points-pace per 82 GP thrilling anyone...BUT, if he had a season like that and then shredded it in the playoffs, people would forget a meh-ish regular season VERY quickly I'm sure.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah Brylin wouldn't come as any great surprise to replace Brunette.  Especially since he spent last year with the big club.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DevilMinder said:

Back to screenshots I guess. So much hassle. 

• Angry 1

52 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I wonder when they will start working on our stadium series Jersey design. Another option to try black and make it more appealing? 

Since they typically go retro, my guess would be some variant with green but would love for them to finally adopt the 90s as retro and swing a black alt of those.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Twitter is a joke, honestly I hope it dies away.

Or DM you can pay the ridiculous ransom they ask - isn't it something like 20M / year for unlimited calls?  You can cut that check, right?  :lol: 

Sure, ill tack it onto the hosting donation drive...lol. Sounds like Reddit isn't far behind with the pricing fees. Maybe we will get some new blood once twitter and reddit fade away.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I wonder when they will start working on our stadium series Jersey design. Another option to try black and make it more appealing? 

I'm still hoping for an all black uniform with bright red trim and no white at all, kind of like the Edmonton blue/orange or Dallas black/neon green.    Our NJ logo without the circle would look perfect on something like that.   

2 hours ago, Crisis said:

Since they typically go retro, my guess would be some variant with green but would love for them to finally adopt the 90s as retro and swing a black alt of those.

I know they didn't for us at Yankee stadium but in general, I think the NHL sometimes does some more modern designs for the Stadium Series games.    

• Like 1