The OFFICIAL Off-Season Thread

jagknife

1 hour ago, Lateralous said:

Maybe better was the wrong term but I think our best all around defenseman is more important to the team's success 

I'm no capologist but I can't shake the feeling that Bratt is going to be the guy whose contract becomes an albatross and gets us in cap trouble.  I agree with everyone who says 4-5 years would be ideal but this whole conversation started with the news that Fitzgerald has a 8 year offer on the table.   

I actually would be fine with a 2 year deal.   It kicks the can down the line for at least another playoff to see if Bratt is a guy who will always be easily neutralized in the playoffs or if his game evolves.   I'm not worried about the guy who gives you 73 points in the regular season while being a beast in transition, it's the playoff no show that has me so concerned about locking him in long term 

I dont like 1-2 years deals, because he will hit the open market or will bring losy compensation. And after 1-2 years cap will go up and he will sign for more money - with us or with different team. Som if he don`t want to sign 4-8 years deal than we should trade him now. When the price on the market is maximum. I don`t know what I think about 3 years deal like Mangipanee signed.

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Four years wouldn't be so bad for him because he'll only entering his Age 29 at the end of that deal...29-year-olds still get some damned good coin if they're not showing any signs of decline.

I don't think Fitz has any interest in potentially losing him for nothing after only a year or two.  Yeah assuming Bratt has another season similar to this past one (and with an improved playoff performance), a one-year deal would be great for him...even two years wouldn't bad, as he'd be entering his Age 27 season at that point.

If Fitz caps his terms at 4-5 years, I'll be happy with it.  I have nothing to base this on, but I have a feeling that if he's resigned, it will be for 6 years at somewhere around $7.75 million AAV.  Just a crazy wild guess.  

Conversation is a great thing, people can find compromises. Too bad that it`s not a popular thing in modern world. 
I will be happy with 4 years deal. We can give 3 years bridge to Mercer to save cap flexibility and afterBratt deal we will have money and cap space to sign new deal with Nico. He is obviously more important player of this team. 
I just don`t see how he will accept 6 y 7.75 mil deal,  because younger unproven players and older players on the market are getting more. And he played  2 years for nothing and one year for only 5.4 mil. He wants money and he deserved them.  Of course this deal is crazy good for Devils. Like I said- I`m just not waiting that. I think he will sign 2-3 years deal with ~8 mil cap hit or 8 years deal. 

3 minutes ago, Guadana said:

I dont like 1-2 years deals, because he will hit the open market or will bring losy compensation. And after 1-2 years cap will go up and he will sign for more money - with us or with different team. Som if he don`t want to sign 4-8 years deal than we should trade him now. When the price on the market is maximum. I don`t know what I think about 3 years deal like Mangipanee signed.

Conversation is a great thing, people can find compromises. Too bad that it`s not a popular thing in modern world. 
I will be happy with 4 years deal. We can give 3 years bridge to Mercer to save cap flexibility and afterBratt deal we will have money and cap space to sign new deal with Nico. He is obviously more important player of this team. 
I just don`t see how he will accept 6 y 7.75 mil deal,  because younger unproven players and older players on the market are getting more. And he played  2 years for nothing and one year for only 5.4 mil. He wants money and he deserved them.  Of course this deal is crazy good for Devils. Like I said- I`m just not waiting that. I think he will sign 2-3 years deal with ~8 mil cap hit or 8 years deal. 

It will have to be Fitz basically telling Jesper "If you REALLY want to be a part of this thing, you're gonna have to leave a little on the table...there is only so much to go around.  I'm committing $46.5 million to you and you'll still be young enough to sign another nice deal after.  I'm showing a lot of faith here.  Up to you."

I'm sure if negotiating becomes contentious (and it very well may), it's due in part to Bratt's camp wanting to act like the playoffs didn't happen, and trying to focus strictly on his regular season play of the past two seasons, while Fitz will be coming back with "Why should I pay him as much in AAV as the 21-year-old kid who just showed he CAN have some success in the playoffs?"  I'm only guessing but I think Fitz would really like to not go to $8 million AAV for Bratt.  

37 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It will have to be Fitz basically telling Jesper "If you REALLY want to be a part of this thing, you're gonna have to leave a little on the table...there is only so much to go around.  I'm committing $46.5 million to you and you'll still be young enough to sign another nice deal after.  I'm showing a lot of faith here.  Up to you."

I'm sure if negotiating becomes contentious (and it very well may), it's due in part to Bratt's camp wanting to act like the playoffs didn't happen, and trying to focus strictly on his regular season play of the past two seasons, while Fitz will be coming back with "Why should I pay him as much in AAV as the 21-year-old kid who just showed he CAN have some success in the playoffs?"  I'm only guessing but I think Fitz would really like to not go to $8 million AAV for Bratt.  

"Play off" thing will not count. It`s a fan thing. FIala signed his deal with close to the same play off history. If he would be PPG player in play off, he would ask 9+ mil. You can check Thomas stats too. 

Again, we should look at what exactly happened in NHL, not on the abstract idealic hyperbole of fans dream. Bratt is 8 mil player, he has all the right to ask 64 mil, if he wants more he can easily sign 1-2 years deal, because he will sign for more on rising market. And wothout Bratt this team will getting worser. He isn`t physical guy, but
image.thumb.png.81f21013378d9309c7a0afe05865c76d.png

image.thumb.png.96a2544dd0d0407a2c1f0dd9fdbebfd4.png

transitional game still exist, posession game still exist, 5 on 5 game still exist and it is what he is making for this team. He should be surrounded with right players. And even without producing he can make an impact for the team, like Meier did with his physical aspect. He can`t be one man line like Hughes can, but Hughes signed his deal way before he proved something. 8 mil isn`t 11 mil. Bratt is good first line level player. And he knows that. He knows about % of the cap and actual signs. And he played three years for less money than he impacted for this team.
And I think Fitz want to go with 8mil. The question what Bratt wants. You will be surprised, but even 8.5-9 mil is what Bratt actually can ask. 

Edited by Guadana

@Guadana I get that Hughes isn't really a "comp"...he signed his deal under much different circumstances (as did Nico).  He's already underpaid and as other less-talented players sign for even more over the next few years, Hughes' deal will look downright silly...almost like robbery, as long as he can stay healthy.

re:  Bratt, part of it is also that there's other guys to sign...starting with Timo, right now.  I'm guessing Fitz's ideal "sweet spot" combined money for those two is somewhere between $16 - 17 million AAV; that doesn't mean he won't exceed that if he absolutely has to, but I suspect he REALLY doesn't want to go past $18 million combined; consider $17 - 18 million AAV Fitz' "OK I can live with this if it means both guys are locked up for a while" zone.  I expect Timo to get the bigger share in part because Fitz had to surrender assets to get him, and I don't think Fitz's Plan A was to have him be some pseudo-rental...I think Fitz wants to bring both back, but maybe has just one or two eggs more in Timo's basket.

So if $18 million is Fitz's absolute "drop dead" line in the sand, I expect about $9+ million of that to go to Timo's AAV.  What's left over would be Bratt's...that would be potentially be his $8+ million AAV.  I'm not saying Fitz absolutely WON'T go there...I just think he's going to do everything he can to sell Bratt on taking less, preferably a little less than $8 million AAV at that.  If Bratt's camp insists on $9 million as their starting point, especially long-term...maybe that's just too much of a gap to overcome.  

5 hours ago, Guadana said:

huyoll. Check market prices. 

If we want to go off market price for guys that put up points in the regular season but disappear in the playoffs we'd have to give Bratt 11mm. I don't think I need to say this, but that's even worse than 8mm. 😂 Yea, I'm a hard pass.

47 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

If we want to go off market price for guys that put up points in the regular season but disappear in the playoffs we'd have to give Bratt 11mm. I don't think I need to say this, but that's even worse than 8mm. 😂 Yea, I'm a hard pass.

In no world is bratt getting anywhere near 11mm on the open market. Keep those crack pipes lit!  Sounds like you’re breaking balls and comparing him to panarin.. another guy who also, is not worth 11mm

Edited by 2ELIAS6

12 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

That dude has the skill of Dylan Strome but acts like he's Eric Lindros.   

Edit: Hopefully Montreal bites on this.   He's French Canadian after all!   

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lateralous said:

That dude has the skill of Dylan Strome but acts like he's Eric Lindros.   

Edit: Hopefully Montreal bites on this.   He's French Canadian after all!   

That would be hilarious.

MTLs obsession with French Canadian players is insane.

According to someone on HF who claims to have some reliable information on the subject, is claiming Bratt is looking for a one to two year deal( which also may not be news) trying to wait out the cap to rise to look for more money. I think everyone has heard that we have supposedly offered him an 8 year contract, which I honestly don’t know if I like the idea of a deal that long for most players but… we shall see what happens here. Eventually, that is

7 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

According to someone on HF who claims to have some reliable information on the subject, is claiming Bratt is looking for a one to two year deal( which also may not be news) trying to wait out the cap to rise to look for more money. I think everyone has heard that we have supposedly offered him an 8 year contract, which I honestly don’t know if I like the idea of a deal that long for most players but… we shall see what happens here. Eventually, that is

I’m getting tired of Bratt’s sh!t. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Bratt contributed zilch in the playoffs, yet here he is starting up with the nonsense. As much as I don't want to see him leave, if he doesn't want to be here then just trade him already. I'm sure Fitz could get a first-rounder for him at minimum. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I clearly don’t understand what are you talking about. Sorry. 

11 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Like everybody do.

10 hours ago, slasher72 said:

Bratt contributed zilch in the playoffs, yet here he is starting up with the nonsense. As much as I don't want to see him leave, if he doesn't want to be here then just trade him already. I'm sure Fitz could get a first-rounder for him at minimum. 

I think there is a big chance that if Fitz will not have a signed deal on the table before draft, he will trade him.

19 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

@Guadana I get that Hughes isn't really a "comp"...he signed his deal under much different circumstances (as did Nico).  He's already underpaid and as other less-talented players sign for even more over the next few years, Hughes' deal will look downright silly...almost like robbery, as long as he can stay healthy.

re:  Bratt, part of it is also that there's other guys to sign...starting with Timo, right now.  I'm guessing Fitz's ideal "sweet spot" combined money for those two is somewhere between $16 - 17 million AAV; that doesn't mean he won't exceed that if he absolutely has to, but I suspect he REALLY doesn't want to go past $18 million combined; consider $17 - 18 million AAV Fitz' "OK I can live with this if it means both guys are locked up for a while" zone.  I expect Timo to get the bigger share in part because Fitz had to surrender assets to get him, and I don't think Fitz's Plan A was to have him be some pseudo-rental...I think Fitz wants to bring both back, but maybe has just one or two eggs more in Timo's basket.

So if $18 million is Fitz's absolute "drop dead" line in the sand, I expect about $9+ million of that to go to Timo's AAV.  What's left over would be Bratt's...that would be potentially be his $8+ million AAV.  I'm not saying Fitz absolutely WON'T go there...I just think he's going to do everything he can to sell Bratt on taking less, preferably a little less than $8 million AAV at that.  If Bratt's camp insists on $9 million as their starting point, especially long-term...maybe that's just too much of a gap to overcome.  

Absolutely agree with everything you said. And yeah, I think Bratt easily can ask for 9mil because he is in position to do so, and I believe Fitz deny it and will trade him or will make re offer with much shorter term. He can bring top-15/top-10 pick and very good proven prospect/young player with potential.(Fiala, Debrinkat, Jones cases). If Bratt don’t want to sign the deal, I thinkDet/Buff can be trade partners. Again in theory, but both teams are trying to start to compete now. Buffalo are closer. 

• Like 2

Seems to be the rage these days. Gavrikov signed for 2 years for that very reason. (cap going up)  On Sirius yesterday, Steve & Dennis Bernstein were discussing the fact that Tyler Bertuzzi (& the UFA) will like sign a 2 year contract hoping to cash in when cap goes up. Bratt might be in that boat as well?

Peter Fish, the agent for Miles Wood, confirmed via text message that there has been no communication with Fitzgerald as of June 8. When asked if he believes there is interest from the Devils or if he and Miles are preparing for free agency, he responded, "I think both." 

- from Kristy Flannery’s article

14 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Peter Fish, the agent for Miles Wood, confirmed via text message that there has been no communication with Fitzgerald as of June 8. When asked if he believes there is interest from the Devils or if he and Miles are preparing for free agency, he responded, "I think both." 

- from Kristy Flannery’s article

Good luck to Miles but he didn't make a good enough case for himself to stay on last season unless he wants to take a serious pay cut.

• Like 1