2023-2024 Around The League thread

MadDog2020

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

Very happy none of our players acted like this out of touch goof when we chanted fire Lindy which he still deserved those chants... 

"An infuriated Casey Cizikas had a message for the Islanders fans who chanted for coach Lane Lambert’s firing: Stay home.

The Islanders lost their fourth straight game Saturday night, falling to the Capitals, 4-1, at UBS Arena.

A succession of progressively louder “Fire Lambert” chants were heard in the third period, and the players on the bench certainly were aware of the crowd’s displeasure.

“It’s a joke,” Cizikas said. “It’s a joke. That kind of stuff ticks me off. It really does. I’ve got no time for those fans. I’ve got no time for them.

“If they want to be like that, they can stay home.”

The Islanders did not play like a team that has tuned out the coach’s voice, but the losing has prompted calls for a change in management. President/general manager Lou Lamoriello was the subject of “Lou Must Go” chants during the previous home game."

This stuff will never cease to amaze me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

Very happy none of our players acted like this out of touch goof when we chanted fire Lindy which he still deserved those chants... 

"An infuriated Casey Cizikas had a message for the Islanders fans who chanted for coach Lane Lambert’s firing: Stay home.

The Islanders lost their fourth straight game Saturday night, falling to the Capitals, 4-1, at UBS Arena.

A succession of progressively louder “Fire Lambert” chants were heard in the third period, and the players on the bench certainly were aware of the crowd’s displeasure.

“It’s a joke,” Cizikas said. “It’s a joke. That kind of stuff ticks me off. It really does. I’ve got no time for those fans. I’ve got no time for them.

“If they want to be like that, they can stay home.”

The Islanders did not play like a team that has tuned out the coach’s voice, but the losing has prompted calls for a change in management. President/general manager Lou Lamoriello was the subject of “Lou Must Go” chants during the previous home game."

How funny would it be if nobody showed up to the next home game 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, RunninWithTheDevil said:

How funny would it be if nobody showed up to the next home game 😂

Haven't they already been having attendance issues? That would be hilarious. I don't get why players think they get to control how people enjoy their product. Maybe instead of getting mad at fans try to... Ya know... Suck less and give them what they paid for.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Haven't they already been having attendance issues? That would be hilarious. I don't get why players think they get to control how people enjoy their product. Maybe instead of getting mad at fans try to... Ya know... Suck less and give them what they paid for.

I mean I saw a clickbait article that said they "only" managed 13k fans at UBS last week, but the capacity of Nassau was about 13k so I'd take that with a grain of salt. 

40 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah was impossible not to see that coming.  There’s starting slow and then there’s digging yourself one hell of a deep hole with well over a week before Thanksgiving.  Not good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah was impossible not to see that coming.  There’s starting slow and then there’s digging yourself one hell of a deep hole with well over a week before Thanksgiving.  Not good.

This is one of those "ya can't fire the players and the GM won't fire himself...sooooooo" situations.

3 hours ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I mean I saw a clickbait article that said they "only" managed 13k fans at UBS last week, but the capacity of Nassau was about 13k so I'd take that with a grain of salt. 

https://www.hockey-reference.com/friv/attendance.cgi

This shows the capacity @ ~18,700 and their running at 84% after 9 home games, 4th worst in the league.

24 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

This is one of those "ya can't fire the players and the GM won't fire himself...sooooooo" situations.

What's weird about the Oilers is that the offense is still there, Draisaitl came out and said they consistently outshoot the other team and still find ways to lose right now. It's a slump that most good teams find ways out of.

5 hours ago, RizzMB30 said:

What's weird about the Oilers is that the offense is still there, Draisaitl came out and said they consistently outshoot the other team and still find ways to lose right now. It's a slump that most good teams find ways out of.

Goaltending has been crapola too. Signing Campbell to 5 mil for next 3 seasons.  Although he could make a comeback.

19 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

This stuff will never cease to amaze me.

What this guy clearly doesn’t get is that his team is a really bad kind of “meh”…they’re as dull and boring as can be.  And a pricey team to boot.

Rangers still winning...gotta admit, after seeing what happened with Florida and Boston, I don't make a huge deal out of point%s anymore.  Just get into the playoffs.  But as much as I hate to give that team any credit, they're finding a way for now, despite being down some key players themselves.

It's funny when you can tell someone watches just enough hockey to have a general idea of what's going on, but not quite enough to look deeper.  Nothing against Boomer, but he was making a big deal out of Lafreniere's "big" start this morning.  And at quick glance to an untrained eye, sure, he's scored 7 goals and has put up 11 points in 14 games, so it looks like he's taking these big steps forward. 

BUT, there still isn't a whole lot that suggests this is sustainable.  He's put up 10 points in his last 10 games (6 G and 4 A), but he had to shoot 30% to do it...anyone see that continuing?  He also played over 24 minutes last night and managed two SOG...yeah, he did score on both of them, but in most of his games, he's managed 2 SOG or less.  That doesn't exactly scream "Guy who's figured it all out and is going to now score a ton of goals!"

If he DOES actually become a more consistent goal-scorer, it won't happen the way that it's been so far this season.  It will be because he's getting more chances and piling up more SOG.  For now he still screams "major regression candidate".

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Rangers still winning...gotta admit, after seeing what happened with Florida and Boston, I don't make a huge deal out of point%s anymore.  Just get into the playoffs.  But as much as I hate to give that team any credit, they're finding a way for now, despite being down some key players themselves.

It's funny when you can tell someone watches just enough hockey to have a general idea of what's going on, but not quite enough to look deeper.  Nothing against Boomer, but he was making a big deal out of Lafreniere's "big" start this morning.  And at quick glance to an untrained eye, sure, he's scored 7 goals and has put up 11 points in 14 games, so it looks like he's taking these big steps forward. 

BUT, there still isn't a whole lot that suggests this is sustainable.  He's put up 10 points in his last 10 games (6 G and 4 A), but he had to shoot 30% to do it...anyone see that continuing?  He also played over 24 minutes last night and managed two SOG...yeah, he did score on both of them, but in most of his games, he's managed 2 SOG or less.  That doesn't exactly scream "Guy who's figured it all out and is going to now score a ton of goals!"

If he DOES actually become a more consistent goal-scorer, it won't happen the way that it's been so far this season.  It will be because he's getting more chances and piling up more SOG.  For now he still screams "major regression candidate".

I was scrolling through a twitter thread where someone mentioned his shooting percentage and it was not received well at all. :lol:

Rags fans are really drinking the koolaid right now. It will be interesting to see how much they turn on the kid when he not only inevitably slows down, but the team in general cools off. 

1 G & 1 A in 14 GP for Kakko btw. Oof. 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I was scrolling through a twitter thread where someone mentioned his shooting percentage and it was not received well at all. :lol:

Rags fans are really drinking the koolaid right now. It will be interesting to see how much they turn on the kid when he not only inevitably slows down, but the team in general cools off. 

Yeah do they think Laf is now on his way to 35+ goals?  Are they going to be shocked when his puck luck starts to go the other way?

He reminds me of Andreas Johnsson, when he put up 9 goals through 20 games to start off his second season here…but NOTHING pointed to him being able to come anywhere near that pace…it was largely bloated shooting%, and when that corrected itself…well, it got plenty ugly the rest of that year.

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

While I agree it’s not sustainable, Rags fans are rightfully jacked that Laf is doing something.   After last playoff and then the preseason, he seemed well on his way to playing himself out of the league.  

That enthusiasm has to be tempered somewhat by the start Kakko has had.  Kakko at least seemed like he was well on his way to being a useful player before this year.  

Basically Laf is about where I expected Kakko to be at this point and vice versa so it’s a wash.   

45 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

While I agree it’s not sustainable, Rags fans are rightfully jacked that Laf is doing something.   After last playoff and then the preseason, he seemed well on his way to playing himself out of the league.  

That enthusiasm has to be tempered somewhat by the start Kakko has had.  Kakko at least seemed like he was well on his way to being a useful player before this year.  

Basically Laf is about where I expected Kakko to be at this point and vice versa so it’s a wash.   

Yeah what Laf has done so far is certainly better than more of the same ol same ol.  I don’t blame Rangers fans for enjoying one of their players putting up some early numbers…especially in Laf’s case.

BUT, I’m sure some of their more “aware” fans know that this start is more puck-luck driven than anything else.  Plenty of guys have enjoyed short-term bursts due to unsustainable high shooting%s.  If I’m a Ranger fan, I gotta temper my enthusiasm somewhat. 

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah what Laf has done so far is certainly better than more of the same ol same ol.  I don’t blame Rangers fans for enjoying one of their players putting up some early numbers…especially in Laf’s case.

BUT, I’m sure some of their more “aware” fans know that this start is more puck-luck driven than anything else.  Plenty of guys have enjoyed short-term bursts due to unsustainable high shooting%s.  If I’m a Ranger fan, I gotta temper my enthusiasm somewhat. 

You do a much better ranger idiot impression than me so I won’t even try. But it’s pretty comical how quickly they all flipped from “get this scrub off the team” to “Laf really is showing he can be a star goal scorer”

7 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

g6g5b9nul50c1.thumb.webp.f9cecc5c0b41c579acf9457711be5327.webp

Honestly....I dig the F out of this. I hope we get something nice soon or I might riot.

Hartford had an awesome scheme, from the logo to the colors, outright awesome

HOWEVER, I'm perfectly fine with not honoring our Wonder Bread/Burger King/Pick your red/yellow/blue analogy years anymore. Last year was enough, @Satans Hockey tracks their record uch better than I do but i felt like we did well in the them last season, making my displeasure for them less.

Know that second sentance isn't a narrative you were going for, just piling on the "please don't go back to the KC/Colorado well again when giving us something nice...

• Like 2