2023-2024 Around The League thread

MadDog2020

7 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Do you think it's more likely that a new Nordique team can win a fan base in Quebec despite the Habs + other sports, or do you think that Atlanta attempt #3 is more likely to? I'm not against expansion, I don't really have an opinion on it in general, but I do not know why they'd pick Atlanta again. Hockey has already failed twice in Atlanta and there were real issues last time getting enough fan support.

That’s a different argument.   Your first point was Thrasher fans moved onto other teams and you’d have to pry them back or don’t watch hockey.

This would be true in Quebec, or anywhere else, too.

You can argue Quebec is more passionate, but it would compete against an original 6 and have a much smaller fan base.  QC hasn’t grown much (metro area is 850k) , and wouldn’t grow the sport…  

Atlanta metro is 6.2mm, and they failed to launch because their expansion model wasn’t great…

Honestly though I don’t want expansion.  We have enough teams as is.

4 minutes ago, aylbert said:

That’s a different argument.   Your first point was Thrasher fans moved onto other teams and you’d have to pry them back or don’t watch hockey.

This would be true in Quebec, or anywhere else, too.

You can argue Quebec is more passionate, but it would compete against an original 6 and have a much smaller fan base.  QC hasn’t grown much (metro area is 850k) , and wouldn’t grow the sport…  

Atlanta metro is 6.2mm, and they failed to launch because their expansion model wasn’t great…

Honestly though I don’t want expansion.  We have enough teams as is.

If that is how it came across then I wasn't being clear and my bad. To me, it was in context that I meant "with respect to Atlanta" which is a market where hockey is not popular and already hasn't worked(twice). I do not have faith a team in Atlanta can either pull new fans in, or pull existing hockey fans of past Atlanta teams that now are fans of other teams back to Atlanta.

I have more faith a new Nordiques team could do both those things just based on the brand alone.

1 minute ago, Lateralous said:

So coaches CAN get fired in season…oh wait, we’ve already seen that happen multiple times this year.  Someone let Fitz know…

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I know the Olympics are definitely a big deal to some, but right or wrong, I just see them as a chance for a key player or two to suffer injury.  Also don't like the NHL season being put on hold, especially since that leads to an even more compressed schedule that there already is.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I know the Olympics are definitely a big deal to some, but right or wrong, I just see them as a chance for a key player or two to suffer injury.  Also don't like the NHL season being put on hold, especially since that leads to an even more compressed schedule that there already is.  

I'm glad I'm not alone. I am a DEVILS fans fisrt and FORMOST. Would I cheer if USA won gold, very much so. Would I be happy with gold if Jack misses the rest of what should be a cup contention season. NO FN WAY. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

We haven’t had a best-on-best tournament in YEARS. Think about it- since McDavid, Matthews, MacKinnon, Jack, Quinn, etc. turned pro, we haven’t had a best-on-best. I’m excited for this. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, John Wensink said:

I'm glad I'm not alone. I am a DEVILS fans fisrt and FORMOST. Would I cheer if USA won gold, very much so. Would I be happy with gold if Jack misses the rest of what should be a cup contention season. NO FN WAY. 

I’m always a Devils fan first and foremost too, but the players want this and so do the fans. I’d also like to see us win a gold medal in my lifetime, since I was 11 months old the last time it happened. Obviously hopefully no one gets hurt, but I love having the NHL in the Olympics. The hockey is off the charts. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

We haven’t had a best-on-best tournament in YEARS. Think about it- since McDavid, Matthews, MacKinnon, Jack, Quinn, etc. turned pro, we haven’t had a best-on-best. I’m excited for this. 

I understand this viewpoint entirely, but at this point, I’m much more invested in my team winning a Stanley Cup, than I am in Team USA winning gold in the Olympics.  And if any of the Devils participating were to suffer injury, the first thing that I’m going to be thinking “Great, fvcking Olympics!”

I get that any player can get hurt in any hockey game at any time, but I guess if it’s going to happen, I’d rather it be in an NHL game, while suited up for the teams that are paying them millions.  But I get that many hockey fans will be stoked for the Olympics.  I’ll be crossing my fingers that Jack and Nico and Luke and others come back healthy.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I understand this viewpoint entirely, but at this point, I’m much more invested in my team winning a Stanley Cup, than I am in Team USA winning gold in the Olympics.  And if any of the Devils participating were to suffer injury, the first thing that I’m going to be thinking “Great, fvcking Olympics!”

I am with you absolutely 110% on all of this. However, I’m not gonna worry about it. We have no control over what happens, so I’m just gonna enjoy the hell out of it as a hockey fan and pray all of our guys stay healthy. 

5 hours ago, Lateralous said:

At least we now know why Fitz hasn’t done much on trade front.   This seems like a lot for a broken down Monahan.  Asking prices must be sky high 

Well, makes you think if the Devils ended up flipping Toffoli, they should get a good return. Still think I'd rather keep him

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

i didn’t see this posted anywhere, sorry if i missed it. I remember Lacher playing against us as a rookie in the 95 playoffs. I thought he had a long career ahead of him back then. Sad news 

I remember Lacher very clearly too…he was out of hockey very quickly after that initial promising season.  I was in a hotel somewhere (think it was a business trip) and I was looking for something to watch on TV and found an IHL game of all things, and he was in goal for…the Cleveland Lumberjacks.  The commentators made it a point to discuss how difficult of a time he’d been having since that fine rookie year in the NHL…not sure what happened to him, as to why his game fell apart so quickly.  He was done by the time he was just 26 years old.

EDIT:  found this interview, from 2017.  He admitted that he probably quit hockey too quickly, but sounds like he had completely lost his confidence at the time.

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/amp/2017/02/17_catching_up_with__blaine.php

RIP Blaine.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

i didn’t see this posted anywhere, sorry if i missed it. I remember Lacher playing against us as a rookie in the 95 playoffs. I thought he had a long career ahead of him back then. Sad news 

That is sad news

11 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Sad to hear this. RIP. 

9 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Regardless of what Jack does the rest of his career, I will forever be grateful the Devils didn’t end up with Kakko.

• Like 2