2023-2024 Around The League thread

MadDog2020

3 minutes ago, Bonginator11 said:

Oh yea thank gosh. That would have stung so bad seeing Henrique in a Rags jersey

Nightmare fuel

4 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Now I am rooting for Edmonton. Blah.

I have no issue rooting for them. I have no animosity towards that team.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, nmigliore said:

Tarasenko traded to FL for two draft picks, per Kevin Weekes. Curious to see the return (I see some citing mid-round picks?) since he feels like a fair comp for Toffoli - rental wingers with similar cap hits, age and points this season, granted Toffoli is nowhere near the liability Tarasenko is defensively.

Worth noting Mantha (with 50% retention) went for a 2nd and 4th last night, too. Less PPG and recent track record compared to Tarasenko and Toffoli but better off-puck impacts. 

Tarasenko has a full no trade so he dictated where he went. 

So not a comparable for TT. 

4 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Uhhh Colorado and Buffalo with a huge hockey trade, holy smokes.

Buffalo's defense is going to be STACKED.

Byram for Middlestat, wow!!!

Edited by Lateralous

Jeez, even at 50% retention of his original Nashville contract, Ryan Johansen got traded and then waived by the Flyers.  That pretty bad.   

For all the sh!t he gets, he used to play like a 1C for the Preds the second the playoffs started but obviously it's been a few years.    

24 minutes ago, smelly said:

Tarasenko has a full no trade so he dictated where he went. 

So not a comparable for TT. 

Yeah, I didn't know about the NTC until afterward so that's fair. I think with Toffoli you could be looking at a 1st straight up or maybe a 2nd + 3rd? Let's see what Guentzel gets moved for, seems he'll go moved first. I'd actually like that to happen ASAP so Fitz has a couple days to mull offers on what would be the best available winger before the clock runs out. 

2 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

If Fitz sits on his hands and doesn't move Toffoli I'll be really disappointed.

I hope he does get moved just because it will mean Meier finally plays on the right and PP1 since the coaching staff clearly sees him as the third best option of RW on the team. And they're not wrong either lol

39 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

If Fitz sits on his hands and doesn't move Toffoli I'll be really disappointed.

29 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

With these prices, holy smokes move him.

Seriously.  Cut your losses Fitz and take a late 1st from a Western contender

• Like 2

Wennberg to the Rags...

So to sum up the UFA FW trades the last 24 hours (sorted by player PTS this season):

• Henrique (NTC, 75% retained), 60 GP, 18 G, 24 A, 42 PTS = 1st and 5th (conditional) picks
  • Tarasenko (NTC, 50% retained), 57 GP, 17 G, 24 A, 41 PTS = 3rd and 4th (conditional) picks
  • Mantha (50% retained), 56 GP, 20 G, 14 A, 34 PTS = 2nd and 4th picks
  • Wennberg (NTC, 50% retained), 60 GP, 9 G, 16 A, 25 PTS = 2nd and 4th (conditional) picks

For comparison, Toffoli: 61 GP, 26 G, 18 A, 44 PTS

Since he has no movement/trade clause, I would imagine he should bring a 1st round pick + if the Devils retained any salary. 

(Sidenote: yes, I know I'm not including all picks/players involved, just trying to keep it simple).

Edited by nmigliore

16 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Seriously.  Cut your losses Fitz and take a late 1st from a Western contender

Cut what losses though?  Toffoli is our leasing goal scorer this season.... Other than him being a little on the slower side (and a lot of the guys in our team would make average players look slow), I don't get the hate on him or why people don't think he should be re-signed and remain part of the team for the next couple years.

Somehow I'm willing to bet Fitz sees it is way too, which is why he's still here.  

Not to say it isn't tempting when you see the returns that other players are getting, but what exactly are you hoping to get from a player who is scoring 25 goals?  A top goalie? A top D man?  Ok, great, now where or how are you filling that goal void next year? Solve one problem while creating another. 

Edited by NJDfan1711

Just now, NJDfan1711 said:

Cut what losses though?  Toffoli is our leasing goal scorer this season.... Other than him being a little on the slower side (and a lot of the guys in our team would make average players look slow), I don't get the hate on him or why people don't think he should be re-signed and remain part of our future. 

Somehow I'm willing to bet Fitz sees it is way too, which is why he's still here.  

Not to say it isn't tempting to see the returns that other players are getting, but what exactly are you hoping to get from a player who is scoring 25 goals?  A top goalie? A top D man?  Ok, great, now where or how are you filling that goal void next year? Solve one problem while creating another. 

I've consistently said I like the player but I don't think he fit's here.  He's too slow and one dimensional for what I think this team should be and I don't think we should eat up significant cap to keep him so that means either move him or play out the string and let him walk.  Hence, "cut your losses"  

I think if everyone is playing up to expectations, Toffoli is more of a luxury than a need anyway.  As mentioned in my post, I'm hoping to get a late 1st.  They can either flip that as part of a package to address the hole in net or replace our own 1st when that is moved.    

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Cut what losses though?  Toffoli is our leasing goal scorer this season.... Other than him being a little on the slower side (and a lot of the guys in our team would make average players look slow), I don't get the hate on him or why people don't think he should be re-signed and remain part of the team for the next couple years.

Not to say it isn't tempting when you see the returns that other players are getting, but what exactly are you hoping to get from a player who is scoring 25 goals?  A top goalie? A top D man?  Ok, great, now where or how are you filling that goal void next year? Solve one problem while creating another. 

I think it would retrieve a 1st rounder to help in any goalie trade. It would also allow Meier to move to his natural wing and also give a chance for Holtz to get out of 4th line purgatory and actually play meaningful minutes.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Bonginator11 said:

I think it would retrieve a 1st rounder to help in any goalie trade. It would also allow Meier to move to his natural wing and also give a chance for Holtz to get out of 4th line purgatory and actually play meaningful minutes.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Holtz has about 48 hours left as a Devil. I’d be shocked if he’s still here past Friday. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Holtz has about 48 hours left as a Devil. I’d be shocked if he’s still here past Friday. 

Oh yes I should have added if he was still here. But yea he’s probably gone. But either way Meier going back to his natural side would be nice

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bonginator11 said:

That's even crazier to me. You think Toffoli is the reason Holtz isn't getting minutes? As much as I'd like to see Holtz continue to get playing time and showcase what he's capable of, I don't know that I'd be in favor of pushing him up a line over Toffoli.  Toffoli's earned it.  That's my point.  We know what this team lacks, and what the problems are.  Toffoli isn't a problem, nor do I think he's causing problems for others. 

I mean, that just sounds so silly. It's like all of a sudden depth is a bad thing? You think a few years ago when the Lightning were really deep and had a great three or four lines, top to bottom, we're looking at players on their team who were performing well and thinking of ways to push them out so that guys below them could get playing time? Meanwhile if they did get that playing time there's no actual guarantee that they'd be better, or even the same? 

Edited by NJDfan1711