2023 all-purpose Pre-season GDT

RunninWithTheDevil

I know it’s only preseason and the Flyers didn’t look good, but Holtz looked as comfortable as I’ve ever seen him in an NHL game.  Early kudos to him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Can’t wait for a season full of this

https://www.nhl.com/devils/video/new-jersey-devils-live-stream-6336964206112

Both of our preseason squads are so stacked that we can't lose. lmao. It's gonna be a great year. 

It's super nice of the NJDTV to leave the archived stream up of the Philly game. Props to them. Watching the blowout now. Just got to the Haula goal off of that Bratter pass. Holy fvck Bratter. Also seeing Haula flub on that first attempt and then bury the second try was crazy. It was like the ghost of being snakebitten so early last year was about to show up and he fought through it real quick. Timestamp 15:20 in. 

Huge hit by Bahl on Allison late in the 2nd. Also watched him fly up the ice when he jumped into a breakout. He seems fast(er). 

Edited by RizzMB30
  • Like 2

I caught the Montreal game, didn’t see any of the Flyers. 

A couple of thoughts I had:

I liked Nemec’s game, showcased his skill a couple of times but overall played a sound, solid game. This was particularly impressive considering his D partner was Vilen, who I thought struggled quite a bit. Vilen’s positioning was off, decision making was questionable, and he did not play with the urgency he needs to in order to be an NHL regular. He needs a lot of work but I won’t count him out on an NHL future based on one preseason game. 

Toffoli and Foote were Jack’s wingers, both of whom didn’t do too much tonight. Foote really had every opportunity to excel in tonight’s game with his PP1 minutes, but didn’t take much advantage. 

Otherwise, it was what you would expect from the veterans. Jack doing superstar things, Mercer playing well in all situations. Siegs good, Marino good, Miller and Nosek solid. Lazar played better than I remember. 

Can’t wait for the regular season to start. LGD. 

• Like 2

The NHL have updated the mobile app, which of course doesn't work, as well as also breaking the Official Devils app as well. So haven't been able to catch any of the highlights or extended recap yet. But I will take wins and no injuries at this stage. 

1 hour ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

The NHL have updated the mobile app, which of course doesn't work, as well as also breaking the Official Devils app as well. So haven't been able to catch any of the highlights or extended recap yet. But I will take wins and no injuries at this stage. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, DM23 said:

Thanks. The app started working eventually, didn't realise that the Flyers game wasn't even loaded on there for highlights! 

Hard to get a feel for how people played from 6 minutes of footage. Lol 

BTW this was announced during the Flyers game:

Apparently when it comes to local games (Devils vs Rangers, Rangers vs Islanders, etc), no more “separate feeds” this year, where one MSG channel broadcasts with one team’s crew, and the other channel with the other team’s crew.  Basically from now on, the home team will have greater representation, but the broadcasts will have a mash up of commentators from both sides for all “dual local” games.

I don’t love it, but it could be entertaining if, say, the Devils are curbstomping the Rangers, and Dano starts taking digs at Rosen and Micheletti, heh heh.  Guess we’ll have to see how it all plays out.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

BTW this was announced during the Flyers game:

Apparently when it comes to local games (Devils vs Rangers, Rangers vs Islanders, etc), no more “separate feeds” this year, where one MSG channel broadcasts with one team’s crew, and the other channel with the other team’s crew.  Basically from now on, the home team will have greater representation, but the broadcasts will have a mash up of commentators from both sides for all “dual local” games.

I don’t love it, but it could be entertaining if, say, the Devils are curbstomping the Rangers, and Dano starts taking digs at Rosen and Micheletti, heh heh.  Guess we’ll have to see how it all plays out.  

This comes across as a way for them to save money vs anything else. I hate it. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

This comes across as a way for them to save money vs anything else. I hate it. 

Yeah, that's definitely the driving factor here, no doubt about it.  I'm willing to see if it at least leads to some entertaining back and forth, but would I rather everything just stay the same?  Absolutely.  The last thing I want to hear during a Devils-Rangers game is Rosen and Micheletti fellating ever single last Blowshirt.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah, that's definitely the driving factor here, no doubt about it.  I'm willing to see if it at least leads to some entertaining back and forth, but would I rather everything just stay the same?  Absolutely.  The last thing I want to hear during a Devils-Rangers game is Rosen and Micheletti fellating ever single last Blowshirt.  

You've already heard it though, it's what they have done for the pre-season games on MSG for a bunch of years now. 

3 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

You've already heard it though, it's what they have done for the pre-season games on MSG for a bunch of years now. 

I know, but not like I've heard a ton of it.  And of course never in games that count.  

• Like 1

Does anyone know why Gambardella only got 9 minutes of ice time? He scored the Devils' first goal in the Montreal game, but got significantly less ice time than everyone else. I wonder if he got injured or benched. He's a longshot to make the roster, but I used to work with him so I'd like to see him put forth a good showing this preseason. He's from Staten Island and played for the NJ Rockets.

Edited by devilsfan26

Just now, devilsfan26 said:

Does anyone know why Gambardella only got 9 minutes of ice time? He scored the first Devils' first goal in the Montreal game, but got significantly less ice time than everyone else. I wonder if he got injured or benched. He's a longshot to make the roster, but I used to work with him so I'd like to see him put forth a good showing this preseason. He's from Staten Island and played for the NJ Rockets.

Maybe because he's a 29-year-old undrafted AHLer who's played all of 15 games at the NHL level (back in 2018-19) and doesn't fit into the Devils' plans much at all, except to continue to fill out Utica's roster?

He's not a longshot to make the roster, he's a no-shot.  Not knocking him, plenty of guys like him still playing even when any dreams of becoming regular NHLers have long since died, but this guy will be in Utica's camp very soon.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, devilsfan26 said:

Does anyone know why Gambardella only got 9 minutes of ice time? He scored the Devils' first goal in the Montreal game, but got significantly less ice time than everyone else. I wonder if he got injured or benched. He's a longshot to make the roster, but I used to work with him so I'd like to see him put forth a good showing this preseason. He's from Staten Island and played for the NJ Rockets.

He may have seen less time because they know where he's going to end up, as CR76 mentioned. Likely they wanted to see more of the bubble guys than a guy who they know they can't fit. None of that takes away from the fact he had a great game in Montreal. 

It's really the only time when scoring a goal can get your ice time reduced.