2023-2024 NJ Devils season thread

MadDog2020

2 hours ago, HughesCorporation said:

yeah defense and goaltending have to be improved...

Agree, Smith should be and always remain a 7th D-man, except in excruciating circumstances. This guy is one the top 3 worst D-men in the league.

We need a #1 goalie, Vitek should be a backup at best and Akira should be in the AHL.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Anhkheg said:

Agree, Smith should be and always remain a 7th D-man, except in excruciating circumstances. This guy is one the top 3 worst D-men in the league.

We need a #1 goalie, Vitek should be a backup at best and Akira should be in the AHL.

When we EVENTUALLY settle up the defense, then we should re-evaluate the goaltending. Not saying we don't have a problem in net by any means, but holy hell if this team doesn't fix the defense and fast, we could have Vasi or Ottenger back there and it still wouldn't matter with the looks we've been giving up.

Hell that 3rd goal against the Jets was not a one-off, there have been so many this season already where two defenders collapse on the puck, the forwards try to find someone but there's a guy wide open, back door, for an open look.

They also HAVE to stop surrendering the first goal. This team when healthy can come back, but not every game and we aren't healthy.

Our current cap situation is a hamstring to try and get outside help for the defense, but McGill's system that doesn't fit the type of defenders we have, paired with Lindy's constant fluctuation of the lineup are not allowing much gelling, if any.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jagknife said:

When we EVENTUALLY settle up the defense, then we should re-evaluate the goaltending. Not saying we don't have a problem in net by any means, but holy hell if this team doesn't fix the defense and fast, we could have Vasi or Ottenger back there and it still wouldn't matter with the looks we've been giving up.

Hell that 3rd goal against the Jets was not a one-off, there have been so many this season already where two defenders collapse on the puck, the forwards try to find someone but there's a guy wide open, back door, for an open look.

They also HAVE to stop surrendering the first goal. This team when healthy can come back, but not every game and we aren't healthy.

Our current cap situation is a hamstring to try and get outside help for the defense, but McGill's system that doesn't fit the type of defenders we have, paired with Lindy's constant fluctuation of the lineup are not allowing much gelling, if any.

If Miller isn't in tonight, looks like he'll play on Saturday (and hopefully beyond).  The D as a whole might not get better instantly (Miller should be given 3-5 games to settle in), but it's definitely never going to be helped by the dry well that is Smith.

Re:  the goalies, VV had the following stretches last year:

10/25 - 12/6 (15 games):  12-1-1, .932 save%

12/28 - 2/18 (14 games):  12-1-1, .927 save%

3/12 - 4/11 (11 games):  6-4-1, .925 save%

Of course, there were a couple of dips too (both of them were a good bit shorter than the above samples), but he was pretty damned good for most of the season.  Was 2022-23 his career year?  Hopefully not...but I'm hoping that once the D starts playing more up to its capability, that he can get on another run.  I get that he hasn't been great this year (and he wasn't good in the playoffs, though not like the Devils played particularly well in his appearances), but at least he's shown that he CAN get on a roll.  But I agree, as much as VV and Schmid are a convenient target for some, they're only part of the problem at the moment.  Most of the D is simply not performing up to expectation. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, vincois said:

I'm hoping we see Miller in for Smith tonight & beyond. At least he's more fleet of foot.  Wonder if Jack's going to be in morning skate?

I wanted Miller in the lineup yesterday.  All Smith has done is show why Fitz went out and brought Miller in to begin with.  At least with Miller in the lineup, we'll see the D-corp that Fitz envisioned all along...and of course, Nemec might still wind up here at some point, if he plays so well with Utica that he forces the Devils' hand.  I posted his Utica numbers in the prospects thread and the guy has 26 points in his last 30 AHL games (with other good numbers)...he can't be far away.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If Miller isn't in tonight, looks like he'll play on Saturday (and hopefully beyond).  The D as a whole might not get better instantly (Miller should be given 3-5 games to settle in), but it's definitely never going to be helped by the dry well that is Smith.

Re:  the goalies, VV had the following stretches last year:

10/25 - 12/6 (15 games):  12-1-1, .932 save%

12/28 - 2/18 (14 games):  12-1-1, .927 save%

3/12 - 4/11 (11 games):  6-4-1, .925 save%

Of course, there were a couple of dips too (both of them were a good bit shorter than the above samples), but he was pretty damned good for most of the season.  Was 2022-23 his career year?  Hopefully not...but I'm hoping that once the D starts playing more up to its capability, that he can get on another run.  I get that he hasn't been great this year (and he wasn't good in the playoffs, though not like the Devils played particularly well in his appearances), but at least he's shown that he CAN get on a roll.  But I agree, as much as VV and Schmid are a convenient target for some, they're only part of the problem at the moment.  Most of the D is simply not performing up to expectation. 

If the Avs can win with Darcy Kemper and Pavel Francouz or Vegas can win with Adin Hill/Broissoit/Thompson, then I am pretty confident with our goalies. I would argue that Schmid could develop into a better goalie than any of those names mentioned above. They just need to be competent. You don't need a Shesterkin or Vasy to win.

That being said, we need more from both tendies and they need more from our defenseman. Team effort.

Edited by RizzMB30
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

If the Avs can win with Darcy Kemper and Pavel Francouz or Vegas can win with Adin Hill/Broissoit/Thompson, then I am pretty confident with our goalies. I would argue that Schmid could develop into a better goalie than any of those names mentioned above. They just need to be competent. You don't need a Shesterkin or Vasy to win.

That being said, we need more from both tendies and they need more from our defenseman. Team effort.

The Devils can win with the 2022-23 versions of VV and Schmid...as long as those guys also show up in the postseason.  Of course for now I'll settle for improved defensive play, which will hopefully help either VV or Schmid (preferably both) get into a groove.

4 minutes ago, jagknife said:

No Jack tonight and maybe no Timo… fantastic…

At least Jack's return is imminent.

Guess we'll see about Timo.  Lots of guys getting banged up, and not just here.  Hopefully after the New Year we'll see these guys stay healthy.

I had a nightmare last night that I was watching the Devils play the Rangers on tv and they were losing pretty badly in the final minutes. I distinctly remember watching Holtz made a no-look pass and it was picked off by Ranger who shot it in for the empty netter. In the dream I remember saying to myself, well there goes his big chance. He's in the dog house for sure now. Anyway, with that said I hope they win on Saturday lol. 

34 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

An AHL call-up on the top line. This season is going great, isn’t it? 🙄

Wow, that's pretty ugly.   Maybe this will somehow be the night where they deliver a feel good win while Jack is out because the deck certainly seems stacked against them tonight.   

15 minutes ago, smelly said:

Can't wait until we see multiple unscreened softies and everyone blames the defense and Lindy.

So the defense is completely blameless? It’s all the goalies? Defense has no blame whatsoever at all? Just checking.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, smelly said:

Can't wait until we see multiple unscreened softies and everyone blames the defense and Lindy.

OK, we get it, it's all the goalies' fault, because apparently you're going to force that narrative down everyone's throats no matter how much other evidence points to this being more than just the goalies.

And to be VERY CLEAR, no one is saying that VV and Schmid have been good enough so far this season and share none of the blame; they've been criticized too.  Both looked better last season than they have through the early going in 2023.  But they are NOT the only problem at the moment. 

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

So the defense is completely blameless? Just checking. It’s all the goalies? Defense has no blame whatsoever at all? 

He's got an obvious agenda at this point.   

4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

So the defense is completely blameless? It’s all the goalies? Defense has no blame whatsoever at all? Just checking.

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

OK, we get it, it's all the goalies' fault, because apparently you're going to force that narrative down everyone's throats no matter how much other evidence points to this being more than just the goalies.

And to be VERY CLEAR, no one is saying that VV and Schmid have been good enough so far this season and share none of the blame; they've been criticized too.  Both looked better last season than they have through the early going in 2023.  But they are NOT the only problem at the moment. 

Y'all keep continuing to engage with these people and I care too much to not tell you that you're both just talking to the wall here. These guys are gonna believe what they're gonna believe and no amount of telling them the earth isn't flat context is relevant is going to change their minds.

Talk Talking To Myself GIF by Facepunch Studios

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah that’s pretty evident. And I’m not hyped at all with how either Vanacek or Schmid has played. But this dude literally shows up to post about one thing, and it’s tired at this point.

Edited by MadDog2020

1 minute ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Y'all keep continuing to engage with these people and I care too much to not tell you that you're both just talking to the wall here. These guys are gonna believe what they're gonna believe and no amount of telling them the earth isn't flat context is relevant is going to change their minds.

Talk Talking To Myself GIF by Facepunch Studios

I hear ya, I guess there's a part of me that wants to believe that if I engage, that sometimes there's a chance that I might get through (or at least have solid back-and-forth).

But yeah, ain't happenin with that guy.  You are right.

10 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah that’s pretty evident. And I’m not hyped at all with how either Vanacek or Schmid has played at all. But this dude literally shows up to post about one thing, and it’s tired at this point.

And I really hope that the D and the goaltending pick it up, because let's face it, making a deal won't be easy right now.  Obviously Miller (and maybe Nemec later) are "from within" options on D (and there's guys here who are capable of better than they've shown so far), but goaltending?  The cap space just isn't there to try to bring in anyone making real coin.  Isaac Poulter is off to a nice start with Utica but does that really mean all that much, given the sample size?  It's pretty much VV and Schmid for at least the next several weeks.  I sure as hell can't expect KK and/or Kallgren to outplay them. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1