2023-2024 NJ Devils season thread

MadDog2020

I agree with all that except the calling 31 teams part. Just call 30. Please no trading with the Rags. Ever. Last time it angered the hockey gods and Michael Grabner failed to score on about 37 breakaways. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I agree with all that except the calling 31 teams part. Just call 30. Please no trading with the Rags. Ever. Last time it angered the hockey gods and Michael Grabner failed to score on about 37 breakaways. 

Good point

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lateralous said:

Friday's to-do list for Devils Management:

1.  Fire Lindy.  It's over.  I know the right guy to replace him may not be available until summer so just name an interim coach.   There needs to be some acknowledgement from the organization that this season is not acceptable.   Also, there can't be any more "Do you even know how to watch games?" or "The press is causing our PP to fail type bull sh!t"  His shelf life as Devils coach expired months ago but now this is just toxic.      

2.  Send out email to 31 other GMs letting them know Toffoli is available at the deadline. He a good player for the right team but he doesn't fit here going forward, especially at any type of meaningful salary hit.   

3.  Waive Vitek and hope he gets claimed.  Like Blackwood last year or Zacha the year before, the dude played himself off the team this year IMO.   Even for those of us that supported going into the season with Vanacek/Schmid, we always knew he was ultimately not the guy, so what's the point of moving forward with him?  The hope was that he could hold down the fort while Schmid built off of last year's success.   At this point, let Daws and Schmid split the remaining games in hopes that one of them can be the cheap 1B next year to whoever we can get during the summer to anchor the position.  If Poultier gets a few games down the strech, I'm good with that as well.    

4. Move Timo Meier to RW

5. Move Jack Hughes to Center

6. Move Holtz up to a top 9 spot and give him 15 minutes per night, min.   

7. Get Colin Miller back into the lineup.  You can make a case for Luke, Siegs, Bahl and obviously Smith all needing a night watching from the pressbox.  Not sure why it was Miller in the stands.  

💯💯💯💯 on all of this.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

The conspiracy theorist in me is still convinced that the Rangers management had a deal with him under the table to play like sh!t for us in exchange for some type of kickback

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

The conspiracy theorist in me is still convinced that the Rangers management had a deal with him under the table to play like sh!t for us in exchange for some type of kickback

Oh he definitely had double agent vibes. 

• Like 1

Give the kid another shot playing alongside Jack once Toffoli gets traded. Small sample of minutes but Holtz with Jack has a 62% expected goal share at five-on-five... just sayin'.

Edited by nmigliore
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Does Holtz get moved up to make this happen or does Jack get moved down to the 4th line with Holtz to play 5 minutes a night?    

Jack gets double shifted a couple times a game on the 4th line to play a few shifts with Holtz.

Boom, #Lindy'd

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

So Jack - Haula - Holtz then…

Or just move Jack back to center with Meier and Holtz as his wingers. 

Not pretending that any of this is realistic with Lindy around but I can dream LOL.

Edited by nmigliore
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, nmigliore said:

Not pretending that any of this is realistic with Lindy around but I can dream LOL.

Our highest paid winger and #7OA pick in the top 6?

image.gif.5674713306da9e9c2440496371feb0ed.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, nmigliore said:

A big physical winger that can, theoretically, drive play with Jack on the same line?

Way too logical. I think you need to ride the bench.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, devlman said:

Politi spewing some fire in this one. Finally.

They also have, in Lindy Ruff, a head coach who seems incapable or unwilling to make necessary adjustments, and in Tom Fitzgerald, a general manager who has failed to make the kind of roster-shaping move that might have helped the team during this crucial stretch. Ruff looks dangerously close to losing the locker room, if he hasn’t already, while Fitzgerald has done nothing to improve the talent inside it. That, folks, is a lousy combination. 👏👏👏👏

• Like 4

1 hour ago, devlman said:

I think the local press blew their stack last night, but in a different way.  Don’t want to answer fair questions?  Leave a postgame conference and blame US for your powerless play?  Nowhere to be found when we’re not telling you how swell you are?  Now you get both barrels…and you DESERVE to!

• Like 6

57 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

That pass Jack made to Toff in the Washington game hurt my soul. A slow pass you'd give to a Peewee player and Toff was 8ft behind it.

How is he leading the team in goals, he is always behind passes, saw it again last night. When we got him there was a concern that he wasn’t able to keep up and now here we are. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

How is he leading the team in goals, he is always behind passes, saw it again last night. When we got him there was a concern that he wasn’t able to keep up and now here we are. 

When he's only expected to find open ice and stand there for a pass to take a shot it works. When he's counted on to help advance the play up ice it doesn't work.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

That's the bonus...the goals.  Gives him trade value.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, devlman said:

On the one hand I don't mind Jack getting some chirping here, I think he and a number of other people on this team (and above the players) could use a bit of accountability and reality check...on the other Mr. Magoo for the first time threw out the 'i' word in reference to Jack, and if he is indeed playing hurt that certainly goes a way to explaining why we haven't seen the real Jack since mid-December.  His downturn both in terms of play and attitude started way before the village idiot decided to put him back on wing though, that's become the latest convenient excuse for him not producing the way he did last year or early this season.  At least with Timo it's a legitimate beef since he's literally been at his off wing for like 95% of the year.

Edited by NJDevs4978

1 hour ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

Toffoli is what Lou thought he was getting with Michael Ryder

5 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

On the one hand I don't mind Jack getting some chirping here, I think he and a number of other people on this team (and above the players) could use a bit of accountability and reality check...on the other Mr. Magoo for the first time threw out the 'i' word in reference to Jack, and if he is indeed playing hurt that certainly goes a way to explaining why we haven't seen the real Jack since mid-December.  His downturn both in terms of play and attitude started way before the village idiot decided to put him back on wing though, that's become the latest convenient excuse for him not producing the way he did last year or early this season.  At least with Timo it's a legitimate beef since he's literally been at his off wing for like 95% of the year.

Since the season is lost now, I would shut down Jack and Timo and forget about Dougie and trade Tyler, Haula and Jonas and see what you can get. 

They will end up with one of the worst records in hockey, with a chance at a very high pick. So be it. 

If they lose to Tampa Bay this weekend, there won't be a decision left to make.  If they somehow get three or four points the next two games and keep up the illusion of being a playoff contender in a sh!tty conference it just gives Fitz another excuse to stay in the bunker and stand pat.

Edited by NJDevs4978