GDT: Game 2 - Wile Es vs YOUR New Jersey Devils, 7:00 pm, MSG 10/13/2023

Colorado Rockies 1976

7 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Was more fitting for the Wings game thread, but Haula is already off to a faster start than last season, considering it took until mid November for his first goal.

Right now it’s basically Jack, Bratt and Dougie finding the net.  Hope the rest start to get going fairly soon.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Really a dumb penalty by Smith that cost us there. 

I also think Smith shouldn't have been out there against that line. Fast, and he's not. Hayton also had his back turned.  As far as the Palat non call, it well away from the play heat of the moment.  Also, I think they underestimated the Dawgs.  They are going to be a decent team.

I caught parts of the game and then saw all of OT and the shootout.  We need to play more assertive and composed in OT. We seemed rushed and not very well coordinated.  Our skill will naturally shine and reveal itself if we just play smart hockey. We're faster, better shooters, and more agile than 95% of the teams in the league. 

In the shootout, I felt we were really predictable. You know Bratt is going to deke.  Timo wasn't very creative and didn't seem motivated.  Schmid letting up both didn't help obviously.  The goalie coaches should probably have him and VV approach shootouts differently. 

Anyway, still nice to get a point and start with 3 out of 4 points to begin the year. Let's keep it up.

Devils were awesome in OT last year.  They’ll be fine.

Yeah I really wish shootouts would go away. At least there’s only so many of them in any given year.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Devils were awesome in OT last year.  They’ll be fine.

Yeah I really wish shootouts would go away. At least there’s only so many of them in any given year.  

Hell give me 20 mins with a running clock, after that it's a draw and each team gets 1 point. 3 points for a regulation win, 2 points for an ot win. Even if they insist on keeping the shootout there would be so many less with a 20 minute running clock. 

It's funny how even though it's rare the most popular sport in the US, the NFL still finds draws acceptable and nobody has complained enough to change that. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

5 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Hell give me 20 mins with a running clock, after that it's a draw and each team gets 1 point. 3 points for a regulation win, 2 points for an ot win.

It's funny how even though it's rare the most popular sport in the US, the NFL still finds draws acceptable and nobody has complained enough to change that. 

I never had an issue with ties in hockey. I know they’re never coming back, but I’d much prefer them to some goofy skills competition that results in one team “winning” the game.

Even if OT just lasted another 5 mins, I think we’d see a hell of a lot more games decided in OT.  

• Like 2

On 10/14/2023 at 4:52 PM, StarDew said:

How 'bout 5 min OT. 2 pt win. 1 pt tie zippy for loss. Oh wait! Tried that for decades just fine and eliminated for gimmick.

^^^ EXACTLY this! ^^^

I hate the shoot-out so much.

I don't really even enjoy it when we win it. I mean, of course I want the point and I'd much rather we get it than the opponent, but to me it just feels like one step away from flipping a coin to determine the winner. I know people hate a tie, but personally I'd MUCH rather have a tie than a shoot-out.

And I also hate the extra point. If we still allowed a tie, then obviously both teams should get a point. But if you're going to play (or shoot-out) until there's a winner, then by definition the other team is the loser, and they shouldn't get anything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brick Pig said:

^^^ EXACTLY this! ^^^

I hate the shoot-out so much.

I don't really even enjoy it when we win it. I mean, of course I want the point and I'd much rather we get it than the opponent, but to me it just feels like one step away from flipping a coin to determine the winner. I know people hate a tie, but personally I'd MUCH rather have a tie than a shoot-out.

And I also hate the extra point. If we still allowed a tie, then obviously both teams should get a point. But if you're going to play (or shoot-out) until there's a winner, then by definition the other team is the loser, and they shouldn't get anything.

Yup. I hate the losers point.  In my perfect world it would be

2 Points for a win of any form

0 Points for a loss of any form

10 Minute 3-on-3 OT, if still tied after 10, each team is awarded 1 point

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Yup. I hate the losers point.  In my perfect world it would be

2 Points for a win of any form

0 Points for a loss of any form

10 Minute 3-on-3 OT, if still tied after 10, each team is awarded 1 point

The problem with the above is that teams were playing it uber-safe more and more as time wound down in the third, and even more so in OT.  No one wanted to come out of those situations without at least a point, so they were less and less willing to take chances to try to secure two points.  

The issue with the current system remains that depending on outcomes, there's technically either two points or three points up for grabs.

Here's the system I think makes the most sense, in that all games would be worth three points, and that those damned shootouts are here to stay, no matter how much that I hate them:

3 points for a regulation win

2 points for a OT or SO win. 

1 point for a OT or SO loss.

0 points for a regulation loss

Only regulation and OT wins count towards deciding tiebreakers for standings.

Agree fully re:  10 min 3-on-3 OT; no way that the number of shootouts won't be reduced in such a scenario, and that to me should be a major goal for the NHL.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, eaglejelly said:

Interesting 🤔

Lmao big time typo there...fixed!

53 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The problem with the above is that teams were playing it uber-safe more and more as time wound down in the third, and even more so in OT.  No one wanted to come out of those situations without at least a point, so they were less and less willing to take chances to try to secure two points.  

The issue with the current system remains that depending on outcomes, there's technically either two points or three points up for grabs.

Here's the system I think makes the most sense, in that all games would be worth three points, and that those damned shootouts are here to stay, no matter how much that I hate them:

3 points for a regulation win

2 points for a OT or SO win. 

1 point for a OT or SO loss.

0 points for a regulation loss

Only regulation and OT wins count towards deciding tiebreakers for standings.

Agree fully re:  10 min 3-on-3 OT; no way that the number of shootouts won't be reduced in such a scenario, and that to me should be a major goal for the NHL.  

I could live with that, given (as you say) that the shootout is indeed here to stay.

2 hours ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

I’m not a fan of the shootout either, maybe more so because we have sucked at them for years but why not just clean the ice quick and play it out until someone scored like post season. 

Can’t do that…imagine if you had back-to-backs in the regular season that went to multiple OTs.  Also potential for injuries.

But I’m all for 10 min 3-on-3 OTs.