Weekes on Hughes

smelly

Sounds like relatively good short-term news, and not-so-great long-term news.

If he's back in 3-4 weeks, that really is not bad at all...even it's another week or two beyond that, that's still before the New Year, with plenty of season left to play.  Hopefully when he does come back, he's 100% or as close as possible to that.

The not-so-great news is that it feels like his right shoulder is becoming a chronic problem that can blow up at any time...and of course there's opponents who are going to target that area now.  Hopefully in 3-4 years we'll look back and say "Man it really seemed like Jack was going to be constantly missing games due to his shoulder, but it really hasn't been much of an issue."  The guy is SUCH a dynamic talent...would suck to look back and say "If only he could've stayed on the ice more..."

Fingers tightly crossed

20 minutes ago, devlman said:

I’m predicting he’s back by Thanksgiving.

Devils have an afternoon game that Friday (I'm going), vs the Blue Jackets.  If he is actually ready to play by then, I'll be extremely pleasantly shocked.

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I am biased, but I think if a head injury was averted that's the best case scenario. I'd take a broken collarbone over a concussion. A broken bone sucks kore in the short term but is better in the long run for the player.

Yeah concussions are a scary business...especially since the level as to how any given concussion can affect someone can vary wildly.  I am worried about Jack's shoulder in the years to come, but had he been concussed...just so many unknowns.  

6 hours ago, Lateralous said:

This certainly seems more optimistic than any of us with PTSD from Scott Steven's "Flu" were guessing.    

@2ELIAS6 correct, @Lateralous posted that previously

1 hour ago, Muevelos said:

It sucks but,  Meier, Bratt and Mercer are enough star talent to make up for it, it's amazing how much star talent we've accumulated in the past few years. 

I wouldn’t quite call Mercer a “star.” Still see him as more of a complimentary piece at this point. But along with Bratt and Timo they also have Dougie and Toffoli. There’s plenty of firepower still in the lineup. 

That said, any team is going to feel the effects of having their top 2 centers out. Just hope Nico is back soon. 

• Like 1

If there is tissue damage to Jack's shoulder, I'm afraid the situation may not be so short-term, as if they decide to go the non-surgical route, it would require a lot of time of rehab and stregthening of his shoulder before he's back.  But, it can also present issues down the road.  If they go the surgical route, he's done for the season.  

I'm hoping that if it was a "surgical" problem, that they would do it ASAP and give the guy a fighting chance to be back for the playoffs.  I'm guessing that we will see quickly if they decide to go non surgical, then perhaps the injury is not as bad as they thought it could be.

Shoulders are the worst joint to hurt - rotates at 360 degrees unlike any other joint, and it is a pain in the butt to fix.  Let's hope for the best. 

2 minutes ago, StarDew said:

Would you pls summarize.  Behind pay wall. Thnx a bunch. 🙂

Hischier is day to day and it's up to him when he's ready to come back. Jack will be out for a month but it could have been worse and he didn't aggravate the injury and he had in the playoffs.

Edited by NJDevils1214
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Hischier is day to day and it's up to him when he's ready to come back. Jack will be out for a month but it could have been worse and he didn't aggravate the injury and he had in the playoffs.

Good summary, that’s pretty much what he said lol

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mitico12 said:

If there is tissue damage to Jack's shoulder, I'm afraid the situation may not be so short-term, as if they decide to go the non-surgical route, it would require a lot of time of rehab and stregthening of his shoulder before he's back.  But, it can also present issues down the road.  If they go the surgical route, he's done for the season.  

I'm hoping that if it was a "surgical" problem, that they would do it ASAP and give the guy a fighting chance to be back for the playoffs.  I'm guessing that we will see quickly if they decide to go non surgical, then perhaps the injury is not as bad as they thought it could be.

Shoulders are the worst joint to hurt - rotates at 360 degrees unlike any other joint, and it is a pain in the butt to fix.  Let's hope for the best. 

If it’s a sprain with ribs, clavicle area in could be ‘more short-term’.

The NHL and their injury timetables are like construction contactors.  Like the guy in The Money Pit, when Tom Hanks asks him when they'll be done: "Two weeks!"

I'm holding out hope Jack is back on the 22nd, day before Thanksgiving. If not then, perhaps give him the holiday weekend off and maybe he's back on the 28th. Sucks because there's 3 games that weekend that he'd miss. 

The bigger question is what CR mentioned, that hopefully this isn't something that continues to bother him down the road and throughout his career. With any luck, it's just a bruise like others have said, and since he's so young he could heal up really quickly and be back in another week or two. 

Fingers crossed. 

24 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

The NHL and their injury timetables are like construction contactors.  Like the guy in The Money Pit, when Tom Hanks asks him when they'll be done: "Two weeks!"

I'm holding out hope Jack is back on the 22nd, day before Thanksgiving. If not then, perhaps give him the holiday weekend off and maybe he's back on the 28th. Sucks because there's 3 games that weekend that he'd miss. 

The bigger question is what CR mentioned, that hopefully this isn't something that continues to bother him down the road and throughout his career. With any luck, it's just a bruise like others have said, and since he's so young he could heal up really quickly and be back in another week or two. 

Fingers crossed. 

If Fitz is saying about a month, probably looking at early December...maybe the road trip.  Of course if he's able to make the Devils' 12/1 home game vs the Sharks...no complaints at all.

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If Fitz is saying about a month, probably looking at early December...maybe the road trip.  Of course if he's able to make the Devils' 12/1 home game vs the Sharks...no complaints at all.

Let him be healthy for my annual trip to NY, I’ve seen the kid play like twice haha

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Really hope he’s back for the Vancouver game in December; that would potentially be the first time all three brothers play in the same NHL game.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If he can get back for the sharks game he might be able to make up for all the points he is missing out on in that one game.

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

If he can get back for the sharks game he might be able to make up for all the points he is missing out on in that one game.

Man, talk about a tailor-made opponent to get back into the flow against...I would love to see him come back for that one.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2023 at 1:21 PM, devlman said:

I’m predicting he’s back by Thanksgiving.

I’d ask what do I win for the correct prediction but then I realized Jack returning by Thanksgiving IS the prize. So stoked for his possible return Saturday.

I’m sure if some dumb rag like Trouba tries to target Jack that it will result in a brawl and bloodbath.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, devlman said:

I’d ask what do I win for the correct prediction but then I realized Jack returning by Thanksgiving IS the prize. So stoked for his possible return Saturday.

I’m sure if some dumb rag like Trouba tries to target Jack that it will result in a brawl and bloodbath.

Dude, seriously, I know this is not the way to think if he's fully ready to go, but part of me almost wants to see the Devils hold him out.  Because I swear at times it seems like Trouba's become one of those douches who's more interested in being a projectile, than a hockey player.  But Devils obviously gotta be aware as fvck when he's out there...skate down the middle with your head down when he's on the ice, yeah, you're probably begging for him to nail you.