GDT: Devils @ Creamsicle Wannabe Aviators - 30 Nov @ 7p

jagknife

51 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Why though?  He's scored a little for the Sharks this year, but he's also getting more ice time out of sheer necessity (the way that some grinders wind up scoring 15 goals for an expansion team, because they're getting Top 6 minutes).  He's already 24 years old.  I don't think anything would be wildly different if he was still here...guys like Zetterlund and Boqvist just didn't do enough to stick around, given where this team is trying to get to.

Nothing against him, but if he's part of a deal to bring in a guy like Timo (who's less than three years older than Zetterlund), I make that deal every time.    

Zetterlund was a great bottom line plug who had "late-bloomer" top line potential ala Blake Coleman. There was a period of time where he was a Lindy favorite during the win streak. He was a better version of Miles Wood who understood defensive side of the puck. Probably a huge reason that's he's trusted with the extra ice time in SJS and Wood is still a bottom 6 guy. 

I agree with your Boqvist point, but Zetterlund brought a grittier style of play. Almost like he knows the role you want him to perform depending on where you throw him. 

Really liked the player and I think Timo does bring a little bit of the same physicality so it was okay sending Z the other way, but I think some of the grittiness and sandpaper comes from guys like Meier, Bastian, McLeod, and players like Z. I guess I am saying that having an extra who is willing to mix it up and play gritty is helpful to have around. 

Would have been interesting if we could have kept him around. I don't think Lazar is here either if you keep Zetterlund. Zetterlund would slot into that 4th line LW spot with McLeod and Basti, then play up in case of injury like when he was playing with Hischier and Tatar. 

Edited by RizzMB30

49 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

Zetterlund was a great bottom line plug who had "late-bloomer" top line potential ala Blake Coleman. There was a period of time where he was a Lindy favorite during the win streak. He was a better version of Miles Wood who understood defensive side of the puck. Probably a huge reason that's he's trusted with the extra ice time in SJS and Wood is still a bottom 6 guy. 

I agree with your Boqvist point, but Zetterlund brought a grittier style of play. Almost like he knows the role you want him to perform depending on where you throw him. 

Really liked the player and I think Timo does bring a little bit of the same physicality so it was okay sending Z the other way, but I think some of the grittiness and sandpaper comes from guys like Meier, Bastian, McLeod, and players like Z. I guess I am saying that having an extra who is willing to mix it up and play gritty is helpful to have around. 

Would have been interesting if we could have kept him around. I don't think Lazar is here either if you keep Zetterlund. Zetterlund would slot into that 4th line LW spot with McLeod and Basti, then play up in case of injury like when he was playing with Hischier and Tatar. 

Don’t forget that Fitz was planning on Foote being a part of things too.  But obviously his getting hurt changed things a bit.

I didn't wanna muck up a GameDay thread with general convo, but since others have already kind of gone there, I guess I just want to ask what some here, since I seem to be in the minority, see in Schmid, or rather, don't see in VV?  Reason I ask is because based on last game, at least in my eyes, 3 of the 4 goals he allowed were really not his fault. Goal #1 was on the PP and the Isles had great luck movement. Hard for any goalie to stop Horvat's one-timer there. Goal #2 was a breakaway....yet again, hard to stop, the shooter always had the advantage there. Goal #3 was odd and probably weak - I'll chalk that one up as a softie that should've been stopped. Goal #4 was off a tip/deflection from a guy in front where the puck completely changed direction and VV had to desperately dive for it; literally no chance there.  Obviously 14 saves on 18 shots for a .770 sv % is awful, but I don't think it tells the whole story. Raanta let in 8 goals on 14 shots a few nights ago and I can almost guarantee at least half of them probably weren't his fault. 

I know everyone says your goalie has to bail you out every now and then, which I fully agree with and I'd say VV isn't doing that, but I wouldn't say by any means that there's a huge difference between the two goalies right now, or that one is outplaying the other by any large stretch. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I didn't wanna muck up a GameDay thread with general convo, but since others have already kind of gone there, I guess I just want to ask what some here, since I seem to be in the minority, see in Schmid, or rather, don't see in VV?  Reason I ask is because based on last game, at least in my eyes, 3 of the 4 goals he allowed were really not his fault. Goal #1 was on the PP and the Isles had great luck movement. Hard for any goalie to stop Horvat's one-timer there. Goal #2 was a breakaway....yet again, hard to stop, the shooter always had the advantage there. Goal #3 was odd and probably weak - I'll chalk that one up as a softie that should've been stopped. Goal #4 was off a tip/deflection from a guy in front where the puck completely changed direction and VV had to desperately dive for it; literally no chance there.  Obviously 14 saves on 18 shots for a .770 sv % is awful, but I don't think it tells the whole story. Raanta let in 8 goals on 14 shots a few nights ago and I can almost guarantee at least half of them probably weren't his fault. 

I know everyone says your goalie has to bail you out every now and then, which I fully agree with and I'd say VV isn't doing that, but I wouldn't say by any means that there's a huge difference between the two goalies right now, or that one is outplaying the other by any large stretch. 

My only issue with VV is that as the team is starting to improve their game and play better defense, he is not rising along with them and elevating his game. Something he would need to do in playoffs. Just need him to play better in a full 60 minutes. Give me a few games of .920 and above save percentage and I'll hop right back on the VV train. Advanced Numbers need to simply improve when it comes to VV like goals saved above expected. Schmid has shown a little promise in his recent starts while VV has continued to fall. 

Edited by RizzMB30
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I personally don't believe there is much difference between the two other than VV has been given way more opportunities to date and has been decidedly awful.

Don't expecti miracles from AS.  Would love to be proven wrong.  Not holding my breath.

If AS shows he can be a credible half of a tandem with a new guy, that's a win IMO.

Edited by smelly
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Shhhhhh lol

Speaking of it though I wonder who will be the first to wear their colored helmets at Prudential, Columbus, Buffalo and the Islanders all didn't, Buffalo could have but Columbus and the Islanders both are a bit too dark. Sharks could tomorrow otherwise looking at the schedule maybe Edmonton or Detroit coming up next month. 

5 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Speaking of it though I wonder who will be the first to wear their colored helmets at Prudential, Columbus, Buffalo and the Islanders all didn't, Buffalo could have but Columbus and the Islanders both are a bit too dark. Sharks could tomorrow otherwise looking at the schedule maybe Edmonton or Detroit coming up next month. 

Hopefully all these teams realize how stupid wearing a colored helmet with a white jersey looks, and none of them do it.

• Like 1