official off topic thread

pumpkin cutter

2 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

The rest stop prices are essentially arena prices, it's been that way for years now too I believe. It's because of the "convenience" 

Yeah for sure, I still like Roy Rogers on occasion (especially their fried chicken), and the last time I bought some at a rest stop...yeah, knew it would be pricey, but it was still absurdly expensive.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StarDew said:

I long for the days of the Original White Manna in Jersey City. Now those were sliders, cheap and they brought them to the car. 😀

File:White Mana Diner, Jersey City NJ.jpg - Wikipedia

I've driven by this place at least 20 times in my life but never went in.  Is it as good as some say?  May have to put it on the ol' bucket list.

• Like 2

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I've driven by this place at least 20 times in my life but never went in.  Is it as good as some say?  May have to put it on the ol' bucket list.

If you like sliders.  They throw (yes) ball of ground beef on griddle, smash it in choped onions and put on square bun. Haven't been there in years. It was a regular place for me and those who liked street racing. The one in Hackensack is not related to the JCY one. Up the hill is Mosquito Park aka Monuments Park.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I’ve never been there, but they are consistently ranked at the top of every list of NJ burger joints that I’ve seen.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I came here aplenty in my younger days after HS games at the Ice House. It was always excellent. No clue how it is these days since I've lived out of state for nearly 6 years...

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I've seen it on the food network on diners drive ins and dives. The food looks good but it looks like such tiny seating that I have no desire to be crammed in next to people to eat. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

I've seen it on the food network on diners drive ins and dives. The food looks good but it looks like such tiny seating that I have no desire to be crammed in next to people to eat. 

Its one of those things you have to try once. They are super packed with onions and I will admit to having them mostly when we had already gotten smashed at that point.

That said I haven't eaten at burgerking/mcDs in years, the food is just disgusting at this point from cost cuts. I would rather order a burger togo from a local pub and get 10x the quality and support a local owner.

• Like 1
  • EvilHeart 1

2 hours ago, Henry Killinger said:

Nothing more than corporate greed.

Anytime I eat fast food, I feel like crap the next day. Not worth any price in my book.

Bro, those executives gotta have their 3rd "summer" home in the Swiss alps.... You really going to deprive them? The horror!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, DevilMinder said:

Its one of those things you have to try once. They are super packed with onions and I will admit to having them mostly when we had already gotten smashed at that point.

That said I haven't eaten at burgerking/mcDs in years, the food is just disgusting at this point from cost cuts. I would rather order a burger togo from a local pub and get 10x the quality and support a local owner.

If I'm ever in the area I'll stop by.

Going out to eat is one of the things I really only do on vacation since I like cooking and it's an easy thing to save money on, especially since I already spend enough on tickets for events. It balances out well lol

I'm with you on the fast food, the only one I really really love is in-n-out burger and that you can only get in a few states anyway. Wendy's has been more tradition of when the Red Bulls get knocked out of a tournament or the Devils miss the playoffs I go and get a ton of stuff to make up for the misery, but that's only a 3-4 times a year anyway lol

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Bro, those executives gotta have their 3rd "summer" home in the Swiss alps.... You really going to deprive them? The horror!

Yeah seriously, how could they be expected to fly in their Learjet 2023 models when we’re rolling out ‘25’s soon?

the nerve of some people

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ugh sh!tty news. Unfortunately not surprising since we knew he was sick and he didn't look well on this current season of Curb. Always found him to be very funny, especially on Curb. It makes that will storyline on this current season a lot more on the nose but that was probably his idea knowing his humor. RIP... 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Sad 4

20 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Ugh sh!tty news. Unfortunately not surprising since we knew he was sick and he didn't look well on this current season of Curb. Always found him to be very funny, especially on Curb. It makes that will storyline on this current season a lot more on the nose but that was probably his idea knowing his humor. RIP... 

The latest grim reminder of "World Turnover".  

23 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I've never heard it called that before but woof that's definitely grim 

Yeah, I came up with that term maybe 10 years or so ago.  Basically you grow up used to seeing the same people on TV, or in your everyday world…and you almost assume that they’re all going to be around forever (even though of course you know that’s not the case).  Then as they start to pass away, it just hits more and more how the people you grew up knowing and seeing are passing through, just like you, just like me.

Now that I’m 53 obviously those “reminders” are coming ever more fast and furious.  I’ve been to way too many of my friends’ parents’ funerals over the past decade than I’d like to admit.  My parents are young for someone my age (they’re 74), so I haven’t had to go through that yet.  But I’ve seen friends struggle mightily with it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

fvck

Both him and Bob Einstein (Marty Funkhouser) gone now. Curb will always be one of my all time favorites. 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 2

On 2/27/2024 at 4:18 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

After Diners. Drive-In's & Dives, I had to go up near Hackensack with one of my work partners so we stopped in to the one there.

Very underwhelmed

• Thanks 1

Went to the new Ringling brothers circus tour at Prudential last night. It's more of a Cirque du Soleli but more fun instead of artistic type show now. The acts they have are incredible though. The people on the flying trapeze were going essentially the same height as where the top of scoreboard normally hangs. Lots of incredible athletes doing stuff I can't even imagine, another guy rode around on a 34 foot unicycle. People flipping on spring boards high into the air on to a chair that's probably 25 feet in the air. 

One thing I didn't understand was why they had the guys who were clearly supposed to be the clowns but they weren't dressed like clowns. Just weird to me to have a circus and no real clowns especially with Ringling brothers history of having clowns. 

The whole animal thing is what it is, I get why they don't have them anymore but it really does make the whole thing just feel like another Cirque type show and that's fine but can we please not have this abomination of a black mirror dog used instead? 

Overall I still highly recommend going if you are into this type of stuff and don't spend a lot on tickets.

20240229_205948.thumb.jpg.1d590d6655146c8a7b39a0668bff1f4d.jpg

20240229_202208.thumb.jpg.ac436d2ddc6649195efd14028fd89288.jpg

20240229_191421.thumb.jpg.463dc865dc3ecf3ec2a58792fae13aab.jpg

20240229_190409.thumb.jpg.8dab46e0245ac81747b292e3b4c5a21d.jpg

20240229_191808.thumb.jpg.da755a0b480540208101484083c696eb.jpg

20240229_191804.thumb.jpg.9d26ac5dbd42d0fb3d8b74e92d3cc06a.jpg

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1
  • Shocking 1