GDT: Montreal @ Devils 7:00 PM MSGSN

MadDog2020

12 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I doubt it will happen anyway but if Ruff does get fired in season I’d wager Green is interim the rest of the way. 

Yeah you're probably right, that would make more sense, less disruption/organizational shuffling.

11 minutes ago, Oglethorpe13 said:

I'm all for Berube. I guess my point was, if lindy goes then even if we had an interim coaching situation, it'd be better than letting lindy keep screwing over the team.

I'll be pissed if we lose Holtz because of lindy. Yeah, it's a privilege to play in the NHL, but this kid has beyond proved that he belongs and shouldn't be playing with plugs for 8 minutes a night. Especially when he damn near saves the game by tying it, AND is one of the top goal scorers on said team.

Kid already got burned last year being stuck in the press box when the team was playing lights out. Now he's lindys scapegoat, and even the press is making it well known. Has to be pretty frustrating and I feel for him.

He's a young kid who's still proving himself (to his credit, he's taking the necessary steps), so I'm not convinced he's gonna throw some sh!tfit and demand a trade.

I think there's also a good chance he'll be here longer than Lindy will.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

Holtz seems like a good character guy, and a team player. Last year when he was in the press box every night and he went to Fitz to request a move to Utica so he could actually play was a mature move from a kid who just wants to get better.

I don’t get the insane punishments from Lindy for Holtz but nothing for others. And he can’t use the BS excuse that Holtz is young and that he’s doing this to teach him.  For example, I’m a big fan of Luke, but Luke has had some garbage turnovers recently trying to make unnecessary no look plays and he still had 20 something minutes last night. Kids are going to make mistakes. Why let some rookies play through them and others ride the bench

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah you're probably right, that would make more sense, less disruption/organizational shuffling.

He's a young kid who's still proving himself (to his credit, he's taking the necessary steps), so I'm not convinced he's gonna throw some sh!tfit and demand a trade.

I think there's also a good chance he'll be here longer than Lindy will.  

Hope you're right. I could see Holtz being the odd man out in a trade, since the coach hates him. But, I'd like to think Fitz understands he's much more valuable to the team than lindy is.

Especially if it's for some aging goalie on a bad contract...😆

1 minute ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Holtz seems like a good character guy, and a team player. Last year when he was in the press box every night and he went to Fitz to request a move to Utica so he could actually play was a mature move from a kid who just wants to get better.

I don’t get the insane punishments from Lindy for Holtz but nothing for others. And he can’t use the BS excuse that Holtz is young and that he’s doing this to teach him.  For example, I’m a big fan of Luke, but Luke has had some garbage turnovers recently trying to make unnecessary no look plays and he still had 20 something minutes last night. Kids are going to make mistakes. Why let some rookies play through them and others ride the bench

Possibly because Luke is Jack's brother, and Jack is the one reason that's probably kept lindy behind the devils bench as long as he's been?

Lol, just a little joking speculation 

7 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I think even worse than no accountability at all, is random accountability with no rhyme or reason.  Or when such random accountability comes at the expense of everyone else on the team.

Is there a guarantee that the Devils would have won last night's game had Holtz continued to take a regular shift?  Of course not.  Would it at least helped their chances to have him out there?  Kid has seven points in his last nine games.  Given that Jack isn't around to do Jack things to help counter Lindy doing Lindy things, why not just friggin' play Holtz?!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

Novo’s counter to Ruff’s ‘you don’t watch the game very well’ should’ve been ‘and you don’t coach the game very well’. 

Novo should have countered with why is Holtz held to a different accountability than the rest of the team or that we only had 2 giveaways yesterday and both were credited to Timo. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Novo should have countered with why is Holtz held to a different accountability than the rest of the team or that we only had 2 giveaways yesterday and both were credited to Timo. 

The behind the back one at our own blueline was egregious.   

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Novo’s counter to Ruff’s ‘you don’t watch the game very well’ should’ve been ‘and you don’t coach the game very well’. 

Actually, since Novo's obviously not afraid to ask tougher questions, I wouldn't have minded:

"Lindy, we've been seeing a lot of the same issues all year long, even when the team is relatively healthy.  Why does the other team always seem to come out stronger and with more purpose than yours?  Why does it seem like your team has trouble getting the puck out of its own zone regardless of the opponent?"

"Why has your team struggled yet again in your building against one of the weaker teams?"

"If you're trying to hold a player like Holtz accountable to such a high degree, why are some other players apparently not held accountable at all?"

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Actually, since Novo's obviously not afraid to ask tougher questions, I wouldn't have minded:

"Lindy, we've been seeing a lot of the same issues all year long, even when the team is relatively healthy.  Why does the other team always seem to come out stronger and with more purpose than yours?  Why does it seem like your team has trouble getting the puck out of its own zone regardless of the opponent?"

"Why has your team struggled yet again in your building against one of the weaker teams?"

"If you're trying to hold a player like Holtz accountable to such a high degree, why are some other players apparently not held accountable at all?"

All pointed, relevant questions that Lindy would receive hourly if he coached in a Canadian market. Asking Lindy those questions here would probably get Novo’s credentials taken away. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

All pointed, relevant questions that Lindy would receive hourly if he coached in a Canadian market. Asking Lindy those questions here would probably get Novo’s credentials taken away. 

#TeamNovo #TeamFireLindy

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Oglethorpe13 said:

Hope you're right. I could see Holtz being the odd man out in a trade, since the coach hates him. But, I'd like to think Fitz understands he's much more valuable to the team than lindy is.

Especially if it's for some aging goalie on a bad contract...😆

The, "Tom, please save my ass and get me a playoff goalie now!" type of trade would be Holtz + first-round pick + talented prospect for John Gibson. Let's hope it never comes to that. 😂

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

The, "Tom, please save my ass and get me a playoff goalie now!" type of trade would be Holtz + first-round pick + talented prospect for John Gibson. Let's hope it never comes to that. 😂

Exactly. The goalie price is way too high, not worth it. Daws has looked very solid for a young guy, id stick with him for now. Plus the contract coming back would certainly affect one of the young guns we have being able to sign long term. The best teams are built through good drafting, not paying up for the best free agents(rangers,leafs). Id hate to lose someone like Mercer for a goalie that's only gonna be around for like 2 seasons before falling off a performance cliff. 

Like many have mentioned before, the coach makes a huge difference regardless of the talent he has to work with.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Oglethorpe13 said:

Exactly. The goalie price is way too high, not worth it. Daws has looked very solid for a young guy, id stick with him for now. Plus the contract coming back would certainly affect one of the young guns we have being able to sign long term. The best teams are built through good drafting, not paying up for the best free agents(rangers,leafs). Id hate to lose someone like Mercer for a goalie that's only gonna be around for like 2 seasons before falling off a performance cliff. 

Like many have mentioned before, the coach makes a huge difference regardless of the talent he has to work with.

Who are these "playoff goalies" that people think are out there and available for trade?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Who are these "playoff goalies" that people think are out there and available for trade?

A lot of times, the only way a guy that good becomes available is if he has a major beef with his current team and simply wants out (like Roy did so long ago), if his team figures to be so bad for so long that keeping a guy with tremendous value makes no sense, or if there's an ELC kid that projects to be so can't miss that he more or less forces the incumbent "also really good" goalie out.

Yeah we know what the market is, and it's filled with some pretty-goods, none of whom are THAT young.  Given Daws' start since coming up, I'd continue to give him games for now.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

I know it's not a priority, but adding Trevor Zegras with Jack would be an interesting experiment, assuming Toffoli is not coming back. 

That’s borderline impossible, seeing as how Zegras will need to get paid soon, and the price to acquire him would be very high. Not something worth really considering.

22 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

I know it's not a priority, but adding Trevor Zegras with Jack would be an interesting experiment, assuming Toffoli is not coming back. 

He seems like more of the hockey equivalent of a Harlem Globetrotter than a top end forward you win with.     

1 minute ago, Lateralous said:

He seems like more of the hockey equivalent of a Harlem Globetrotter than a top end forward you win with.     

Apparently the Ducks feel that he takes too many bad penalties and is too shaky defensively.

If the Devils are trading for any forwards anytime soon (doesn't seem like a glaring need, especially with so many locked up for a while), I'd rather it'd be a guy who's supposed to be a complete "ready-to-go" kind of player, rather than a project with a lot of rough edges.  Also sucks that he's going to miss a lot of games this year, because it sure sounds like he could've used the work and experience.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

@Nicomo

I am worried you might be in crisis, dude. You've changed your avatar more in the last 5 days than you have in the last 5 years. We're all looking for answers! You're not alone!

Ha I swear I’m not superstitious about anything other than sports. :lol:

12 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Agree, I never really thought Lindy had THAT much to do with the kids developing…I think some of them were simply just too good for even Lindy to fvck them up.

The only thing that I can say that Lindy has done “well” re:  Holtz is that somehow he hasn’t healthy-scratched him yet.  That’s it.  But Holtz has taken clear steps this year and like so many other aspects this season, it feels like Lindy is finding yet another way to get in the way of his players.  Benching Holtz last night made no fvcking sense, and given the guys who are out and the fact that Toffoli is in the thick of a pretty significant slump, Holtz should’ve continued to see ice time.

In a season chock full of “fireable offenses”, last night’s postgame conference was yet another.  The guy clearly might as well have said “I don’t have Jack to make me look good; what do you guys expect?!”  And heaven forbid a reporter dares to question a guy who makes a LOT of questionable decisions.

And sorry Fitz, I’m still a believer in you, but time to climb out from under the rock.  This team that you committed serious resources to just lost ANOTHER brutal home game to a very beatable opponents.  Your head coach just made a complete ass out of himself last night and looks more and more like he truly has no answers at all and can’t handle any adversity or scrutiny to boot.  It would be very nice to hear from you at some point.  

Technically he didn’t bench him, he just jailed him on the scrub fourth line and naturally played that line less, but yeah the over the top tough love with Holtz is a bit much. It’d be one thing if he was a hard ass with everyone but he literally holds the most minute sh!t against Holtz and hasn’t said fvck all about anyone else this year sans sitting Timo for a period.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1