GDT: Montreal @ Devils 7:00 PM MSGSN

MadDog2020

1 hour ago, Jerrydevil said:

It's a long season that's half over. It's too early for shoveling dirt.

They don’t need us to shovel dirt, they’re doing pretty good at that themselves constantly losing to garbage like Columbus, Anaheim, San Jose and Montreal ‘at home’, not to mention single-handedly keeping the decrepit Caps in the playoff race dropping two to them ‘at home’…all these points dropped to sh!tty teams at home will be the reason we’re on the outside of the bubble looking in this April 

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 6

The worst thing about Lindy tonight wasn’t even the Holtz bullsh!t or getting pissy with Novo, it’s the fact this dinosaur had us turtling in the third period to protect…a tie. At home. Against Montreal. If that’s not loserdom trash I don’t know what is - playing for OT just because you have ‘most’ of your good three on three players after you dominated the previous twenty or so minutes taking it to them and had all the momentum against a bad team on a back to back? fvck off with this sh!t

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

Ruff is attacking Novo.

Do something Fitz.

Novo.

fvck this old man. Fire him 

Remember Novo was the guy who, last year after the awful start, asked why Bratt was only playing 15 mins a night and was basically dismissed by Lindy rather unprofessionally.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

They don’t need us to shovel dirt, they’re doing pretty good at that themselves constantly losing to garbage like Columbus, Anaheim, San Jose and Montreal ‘at home’, not to mention single-handedly keeping the decrepit Caps in the playoff race dropping two to them ‘at home’…all these points dropped to sh!tty teams at home will be the reason we’re on the outside of the bubble looking in this April 

Won't matter. If they miss the playoffs Lindy will use the injuries excuse to keep his job, and round and round we go...

14 minutes ago, devlman said:

Remember Novo was the guy who, last year after the awful start, asked why Bratt was only playing 15 mins a night and was basically dismissed by Lindy rather unprofessionally.

EDIT: found the gif I made...

Devils_Genucel_PostGame_Show_at_Flyers__LIVE_STREAM.gif.6c6eb9a3e108852e5d8191553d4ff66a.gif

Edited by NJDevils1214
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

That’s the thing too; he has a built in excuse with the injuries. And it appears he’s not hesitating to use it. I’m afraid Fitz is gonna let him slide because of it. He shouldn’t, but I’m afraid he will. 

He loves using the injury card…And yet he is always quick to point out the reasons behind the goals we concede: bad shift changes, not boxing out, puck management, poor coverage….umm, none of these have to do with injuries! These are all coaching factors.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

The injury excuse is total crap though when you have 3 out of your top 4 paid forwards in the lineup and still only manage to score 2 goals against Montreal. And those came from a rookie defenseman and a “4th liner.” 

Preaching to the choir. I’m just afraid our GM doesn’t see what we see. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I'm resigned to the fact that Fitz will bring him back and that Holtz will probably be part of a trade package (because he's not one of "Ruff's guys"). There are certain players who never get the doghouse treatment, and before breaking his foot Siegenthaler was one of them.

As for Fitz, I don't think he has the cajones to fire Ruff and hire Berube, as many would love to see happen. 

@Colorado Rockies 1976 has said this for a long time but the talent on the team has done a great job of hiding the coaching deficiencies this team has. And with the majority of that talent being out (Jack) this year its showing.

I have always given Lindy a bit of an easy ride as I thought he was doing a good job developing the kids on the team, but actually that talent was probably going to show up regardless in the end.

I am still not of the mindset that this is a year where we have to win everything, and I haven't given up on making the playoffs yet, it's all still too close. But if they do miss this year,  there is no way Lindy can start as coach the following season.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

@Colorado Rockies 1976 has said this for a long time but the talent on the team has done a great job of hiding the coaching deficiencies this team has. And with the majority of that talent being out (Jack) this year its showing.

I have always given Lindy a bit of an easy ride as I thought he was doing a good job developing the kids on the team, but actually that talent was probably going to show up regardless in the end.

I am still not of the mindset that this is a year where we have to win everything, and I haven't given up on making the playoffs yet, it's all still too close. But if they do miss this year,  there is no way Lindy can start as coach the following season.

Agree, I never really thought Lindy had THAT much to do with the kids developing…I think some of them were simply just too good for even Lindy to fvck them up.

The only thing that I can say that Lindy has done “well” re:  Holtz is that somehow he hasn’t healthy-scratched him yet.  That’s it.  But Holtz has taken clear steps this year and like so many other aspects this season, it feels like Lindy is finding yet another way to get in the way of his players.  Benching Holtz last night made no fvcking sense, and given the guys who are out and the fact that Toffoli is in the thick of a pretty significant slump, Holtz should’ve continued to see ice time.

In a season chock full of “fireable offenses”, last night’s postgame conference was yet another.  The guy clearly might as well have said “I don’t have Jack to make me look good; what do you guys expect?!”  And heaven forbid a reporter dares to question a guy who makes a LOT of questionable decisions.

And sorry Fitz, I’m still a believer in you, but time to climb out from under the rock.  This team that you committed serious resources to just lost ANOTHER brutal home game to a very beatable opponents.  Your head coach just made a complete ass out of himself last night and looks more and more like he truly has no answers at all and can’t handle any adversity or scrutiny to boot.  It would be very nice to hear from you at some point.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, devlman said:

Here's the article... 

https://www.nj.com/devils/2022/10/devils-lindy-ruff-asked-about-jesper-bratts-limited-ice-time-leaves-press-conference.html

And here's the clip... 

Edited by Satans Hockey

9 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

8 hours ago, slasher72 said:

I'm resigned to the fact that Fitz will bring him back and that Holtz will probably be part of a trade package (because he's not one of "Ruff's guys"). There are certain players who never get the doghouse treatment, and before breaking his foot Siegenthaler was one of them.

As for Fitz, I don't think he has the cajones to fire Ruff and hire Berube, as many would love to see happen. 

I know he's a very patient man but are we sure Fitz is really that enamored with Lindy?   I mean, he was in no rush to extend him this summer if I recall correctly.  I've always thought Fitz looked at this year as a development year, which is hard to argue when you have Bahl, Nemec, Luke and Holtz getting meaningful minutes, so unless this goes completely off the rails, I think he probably just waits until the summer when there are more coaching options available.     

Honestly, I think after last year, Lindy had to come back and while there have been a few times this season where it felt like we were close to a breaking point, the Devils usually righted the ship before things went off the rails.   Last night feels like another breaking point, especially with the post game nonsense.   If we no show against Columbus, Fitz may have to make a move but otherwise, this is probably going to be an offseason change.  

• Like 1

Benched for making the same play every other devil makes 3x a game....

By that logic, lindy should be in the press box. He's absolutely going to hinder Holtz's development or end up getting a good player traded. It isn't 1998 anymore, get lindy off that bench. 

Way easier to replace him. At least let Sarge run the team, at least the team respects him.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Jason who use to post here nailed it... 

This is my biggest freaking issue. Even beyond his braindead lack of adjusting. You want to be a guy who holds people accountable awesome, love it, but do it for EVERYONE.

He is a poor leader.

6 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

You just know he’s going to dig his heels in and be even harder on the kid now. This will end badly, imo. 

Yep, and I hope Novo never backs down. Let this become a Torts-Brooks rivalry, because unlike Brooks, Novo’s questions were absolutely respectful and genuinely doing his job non-confrontational.

Ruff meanwhile looked like a crotchety old bastard who is feeling the heat

• Like 3

Its comparable to when a senior citizen is about to lose their fvcking driver's license...

Every game, bad 1st period... not prepared to play.... 

"It's our puck management"... nah probably just the management of the team, starting with the coach who clearly isn't doing his job. I don't care about his record, even jagr dropped off eventually. He needs to go if this team wants to be relevant, and not a easy team to pad stats against 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I know he's a very patient man but are we sure Fitz is really that enamored with Lindy?   I mean, he was in no rush to extend him this summer if I recall correctly.  I've always thought Fitz looked at this year as a development year, which is hard to argue when you have Bahl, Nemec, Luke and Holtz getting meaningful minutes, so unless this goes completely off the rails, I think he probably just waits until the summer when there are more coaching options available.     

Honestly, I think after last year, Lindy had to come back and while there have been a few times this season where it felt like we were close to a breaking point, the Devils usually righted the ship before things went off the rails.   Last night feels like another breaking point, especially with the post game nonsense.   If we no show against Columbus, Fitz may have to make a move but otherwise, this is probably going to be an offseason change.  

GMs have a certain level of self-preservation too...it's not a great look for Fitz if he goes upstairs and says "Hey, that guy I extended after last season...well, turns out that I made a mistake, can I fire him and hire someone else?"  The crosshairs are then aimed squarely at Fitz's back.

Yeah, in going 14-8-2 since starting 8-9-1, the Devils have managed to avoid that major, season-altering slump...so far.  But after last night, I think it's definitely time for Fitz to draw some kind of mental line in the sand.  If the Devils lose to Columbus on Friday, I'm not sure what more he needs to see.  If the Devils come away with less than four points over the next three games, same thing...how much more do you need to see?  Are you really ready to see a season potentially end in brutal fashion to keep LINDY here?!  Especially when there's a very good chance you might be moving on from anyway?

3 minutes ago, Oglethorpe13 said:

Benched for making the same play every other devil makes 3x a game....

By that logic, lindy should be in the press box. He's absolutely going to hinder Holtz's development or end up getting a good player traded. It isn't 1998 anymore, get lindy off that bench. 

Way easier to replace him. At least let Sarge run the team, at least the team respects him.

I have nothing to base this on at all, but if Lindy is let go in-season, I can see Dineen getting the interim call, instead of Fitz going outside the organization.  And then Sarge taking over Utica next season, with Dineen either doing enough to lose the interim tag and become Lindy's true successor, or possibly being retained by the next head coach as part of a new staff.

I'd rather a guy like Berube of course.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

GMs have a certain level of self-preservation too...it's not a great look for Fitz if he goes upstairs and says "Hey, that guy I extended after last season...well, turns out that I made a mistake, can I fire him and hire someone else?"  The crosshairs are then aimed squarely at Fitz's back.

Yeah, in going 14-8-2 since starting 8-9-1, the Devils have managed to avoid that major, season-altering slump...so far.  But after last night, I think it's definitely time for Fitz to draw some kind of mental line in the sand.  If the Devils lose to Columbus on Friday, I'm not sure what more he needs to see.  If the Devils come away with less than four points over the next three games, same thing...how much more do you need to see?  Are you really ready to see a season potentially end in brutal fashion to keep LINDY here?!  Especially when there's a very good chance you might be moving on from anyway?

I have nothing to base this on at all, but if Lindy is let go in-season, I can see Dineen getting the interim call, instead of Fitz going outside the organization.  And then Sarge taking over Utica next season, with Dineen either doing enough to lose the interim tag and become Lindy's true successor, or possibly being retained by the next head coach as part of a new staff.

I'd rather a guy like Berube of course.

I'm all for Berube. I guess my point was, if lindy goes then even if we had an interim coaching situation, it'd be better than letting lindy keep screwing over the team.

I'll be pissed if we lose Holtz because of lindy. Yeah, it's a privilege to play in the NHL, but this kid has beyond proved that he belongs and shouldn't be playing with plugs for 8 minutes a night. Especially when he damn near saves the game by tying it, AND is one of the top goal scorers on said team.

Kid already got burned last year being stuck in the press box when the team was playing lights out. Now he's lindys scapegoat, and even the press is making it well known. Has to be pretty frustrating and I feel for him.

• Like 4