f it. gdt devils vs lightning 7pm

pumpkin cutter

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

Bahl is severely dragging down Nemec right now. And Hatakka being at the top of the chart is pretty troubling. 

I’m surprised Marino’s regression hasn’t gotten more attention, as he’s been bad more often than not.  There was some chatter about it early in the year, but I’ve not heard much lately.

I’d love to see a regression analysis comparing last year to this year factoring in injuries, goaltending regression, changes on defense, over performance of other teams in division (which seems to be leveling out) and non qualitative factors (eg the McLoed situation).  would take someone way smarter than me but would be more interesting than “Fire Lindy” for the 1,000th time. (even if that is the result of the analysis). 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Not tonight though Vitek was the only reason they were even in the game so it’s weird to even bring up right now. 

As for tonite, true. But alone it means absolutely nothing. Fact is it will take a 40 game stretch of similar play to even bring the goaltending to sea level. Not holding my breath. 

Edited by smelly

Not making the playoffs this season if they keep this up and that's fine, but now is the time to make the changes that will set the team up for success next season. Let's start with hiring a competent coach. Let the players adapt to a new system while the stakes are lower. Shut down any players with nagging injuries so that they can come back at 100% later on or next year. Let the young guys with high potential take on larger roles, namely Holtz and Mercer. Maybe even find a way to let Daws and Schmid split the starts.

The coaching staff got a lot out of last year's group, but it hasn't been working this season, even with a healthier squad. Maybe that's due to Brunette. Maybe they just aren't responding to Lindy anymore. In any case, this team is desperate for a shakeup.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, nessus said:

Not making the playoffs this season if they keep this up and that's fine, but now is the time to make the changes that will set the team up for success next season. Let's start with hiring a competent coach. Let the players adapt to a new system while the stakes are lower. Shut down any players with nagging injuries so that they can come back at 100% later on or next year. Let the young guys with high potential take on larger roles, namely Holtz and Mercer. Maybe even find a way to let Daws and Schmid split the starts.

The coaching staff got a lot out of last year's group, but it hasn't been working this season, even with a healthier squad. Maybe that's due to Brunette. Maybe they just aren't responding to Lindy anymore. In any case, this team is desperate for a shakeup.

If you go this route, then also shut down Jack and Timo and let them both get the surgeries they so desperately need. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, nessus said:

Maybe even find a way to let Daws and Schmid split the starts.

Poulter has actually been the best goalie in the Devils system this season (at least in NA). He probably deserves a look at some point. Especially if they fall out of contention. 

Bahl seems to be a very low-iq player. Directly responsible for back breaking goals 3 and 4 against. 

Meanwhile, Ruff continues to be weekend at Bernie’s on the bench. Can he once work the awful officials? Back your team and look alive.

It’s very concerning how many players have taken steps backward this year under Lindy.

Edited by devlman
  • Like 1

Making a trade at this point is an exercise in futility. First order of business is cleaning up the on-ice culture and that starts with making a coaching change. 

Not sure who's available to come in mid-season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mitico12 said:

Making a trade at this point is an exercise in futility. First order of business is cleaning up the on-ice culture and that starts with making a coaching change. 

Not sure who's available to come in mid-season. 

Craig Berube seems like the obvious choice. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, devlman said:

Bahl seems to be a very low-iq player. Directly responsible for back breaking goals 3 and 4 against. 

Meanwhile, Ruff continues to be weekend at Bernie’s on the bench. Can he once work the awful officials? Back your team and look alive.

It’s very concerning how many players have taken steps backward this year under Lindy.

There are moments when he flashes some puck handling skills and makes some good offensive contributions, but yea lately it feels likes he is chasing or a step behind the play and then taking a penalty. He needs to use his size and physicality to his advantage, every shift.

It seems to me the only devils who really worked on themselves this summer were Bratt and Holtz. No coincidence theyre bright spots, every other player , who i hoped would do the above, didnt

I get it your rich, its summer, but goddammit do you want it or not

41 minutes ago, Aznjsn said:

There are moments when he flashes some puck handling skills and makes some good offensive contributions, but yea lately it feels likes he is chasing or a step behind the play and then taking a penalty. He needs to use his size and physicality to his advantage, every shift.

Yep, watch Tampa’s third goal again and just watch how he chases the puck carrier out of position and then doesn’t return to his position.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, devlman said:

Yep, watch Tampa’s third goal again and just watch how he chases the puck carrier out of position and then doesn’t return to his position.

The entire team's mental game is snowballing. They're feeling it and are just trying to keep their head above water.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Bahl is severely dragging down Nemec right now. And Hatakka being at the top of the chart is pretty troubling. 

Bahl looked bad last night, but I think he's had a decent season. People look at Luke and Nemec as the young ones, but Bahl is right there with them in age. Give him another year or two to develop and he could turn into a solid Top 4 guy.  He uses his size to hit, and his long reach to poke pucks and keep defenders at bay.  On a team that has almost zero stay at home D man, we can't move on from him, if that's what people are suggesting.  He's not been the worst defender on the team this year, by a longshot. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Bahl looked bad last night, but I think he's had a decent season. People look at Luke and Nemec as the young ones, but Bahl is right there with them in age. Give him another year or two to develop and he could turn into a solid Top 4 guy.  He uses his size to hit, and his long reach to poke pucks and keep defenders at bay.  On a team that has almost zero stay at home D man, we can't move on from him, if that's what people are suggesting.  He's not been the worst defender on the team this year, by a longshot. 

Not nearly enough. 

I don’t see him as a top 4 guy at all. At least not on a good team. 

Edited by Nicomo

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

Not nearly enough. 

I don’t see him as a top 4 guy at all. At least not on a good team. 

Of course I don't see him that way now, I'm thinking in terms of potential. The dude is 23 years old. Way too soon to write him off or make judgments about his future, if you ask me. 

3 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Of course I don't see him that way now, I'm thinking in terms of potential. The dude is 23 years old. Way too soon to write him off or make judgments about his future, if you ask me. 

So am I. And I just don’t see it. You don’t typically get a 6”6 230 lb defenseman as a throw in in a trade if team’s are particularly high on his potential. 

55 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

So am I. And I just don’t see it. You don’t typically get a 6”6 230 lb defenseman as a throw in in a trade if team’s are particularly high on his potential. 

You kinda do if you're shopping prime Taylor Hall coming off a Hart winning season

Edited by RunninWithTheDevil
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

You kinda do if you're shopping prime Taylor Hall coming off a Hart winning season

It was for half a season of Hall, and AZ was already giving up a 1st. I doubt Kevin bAHL, Nick Merkley, and Nate Schnarr really moved the needle all that much. 

15 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

It was for half a season of Hall, and AZ was already giving up a 1st. I doubt Kevin bAHL, Nick Merkley, and Nate Schnarr really moved the needle all that much. 

Bahl was kind of the Mukhamadullon of the trade, no?