GDT: Not Atlanta Flames @ NJD - 8 Feb @ 7p -Jack's Back!

jagknife

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

They had their entire forward group healthy tonight and still lost a big game at home. 

fvck the injury excuse bullsh!t. 

Yep, but Fitz will use that card for himself and a reason to keep Lindy around, “never had a chance with a healthy roster, let’s see what they can do together”

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I'm not upending my life, and my family, moving across the continent just for a chance to make the playoffs. I'd stay put.

Well I’d personally rather live in NJ than Calgary, so I’d hop on it. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Still can’t trade it right now given that it’s already tied to the Meier deal.  Plus, the outlook on that changes significantly if we have Markstrom playing like that for the Devils.  

so what happens w it ?  i obviously don’t understand how it works. 

Just now, LIDevsFan1 said:

If the Devils make the ECF it’s a 1st (and Timo plays 50% of the games) if they don’t it’s a 2nd. 

• Like 1

Just now, Nicomo said:

Toffoli can go for all I care. He’s not part of the future, and they aren’t winning sh!t with this coach and goaltending. 

Which is why I suggested moving him if Fitz decides the season is a lost cause and elects to focus on developing the Devils’ youngsters.  As I said the other day, I don’t think he’s good enough to overpay when there are younger players waiting to take his minutes, so I’m fine with him being traded or allowed to walk if he’s still around at season’s end.

1 minute ago, LIDevsFan1 said:

We traded the Sharks our 2024 2nd rounder which has a condition tied to it that it becomes a 1st if we make the ECF.   I know it doesn’t exactly seem possible right now but we can’t go and trade that 2024 1st until we officially can’t make the ECF which is either at seasons end or after an early elimination 

7 minutes ago, LIDevsFan1 said:

so for all intents and purposes we will have the pick if we keep it.  

Given that nothing happens after the trade deadline through the Stanley Cup, the earliest we could realistically use the 2024 1st in a trade is at or right before the draft.   

9 minutes ago, LIDevsFan1 said:

so for all intents and purposes we will have the pick if we keep it.  

I believe we can trade it but it has to be conditional as well..if it by some miracle it did go to sj then it would becone 25’ first 

2 minutes ago, nmigliore said:

Not sure what else to say about that game other than one team has an NHL Goalie and the other has…. this.

IMG_1213.jpeg

He’d do a better job protecting the boards than protecting his own net.

• Like 2

If it came down to it, would you rather build a deal for a clear No. 1 goalie around Holtz or Casey?

I don’t want to lose either, but I unfortunately fear that’s not realistic if they make a move. And they have to, whether now or over the summer. 

Edited by smelly

36 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Why would CGY want to trade Markstrom when they are in the playoff hunt? Not happening without massive over pay. At this point I am writing the season off and seeing what I can do over the summer.

General consensus is that since they have to unload Tanev and likely Hanifin (assuming he continues to reject their reported lengthy extension offers) that they really aren’t going to be a playoff team so Conroy will use this as an opportunity to reset. 

48 minutes ago, njbuff said:

They’d be better off with a Schmid-Daws combo at this point.

That combo isn't any better.  We buried Schmid in the minors because he had a shaky start to the season.  Everyone wants VV down there with him or for him. When Daws has a bad game or two, people want to throw him there too. Goalies can do nothing right here. Not saying any of them have been great, but we've literally tried three of them and the result is the same.  At what point does it become clear there are other issues at play?  The coaching staff doesn't have this team playing well at all.  We take too many penalties, many of them in our own zone.  We leave guys uncovered on defense far too often.  We give up odd man rushes like they're on sale.  The goalies are inconsistent.  The Powerplay has gone completely dry.  And the offense as a whole is under-performing.  

Losing Dougie was a huge blow to this team.  Not only for his experience, but his offense has left a huge void.  The PP misses him deeply, and even at 5 on 5 we miss his production.  Outside of him, we hardly ever get contributions from our defenseman on the scoresheet.  Luke is young and I think he'll eventually contribute more.  Maybe the same with Nemec.  But Bahl, Marino, Hattaka (and of course Siegs, and probably Miller/Smith) - those guys don't score at all for the most part, which puts even more pressure on our forwards.  Meier/Lazar/Bastian/Holtz/Palat - those guys have had disappointing seasons in my opinion. Holtz shows promise, and you could certainly argue he's being mismanaged, but I'm just saying that when Jack is hurt, we can't always count on Bratt and Nico to step up.  They've kept us going at times, and Toffoli is still leading the team in goals....so it's the other forwards (and D-men) who need to score and push the envelope.  Naturally, if we had better goaltending and defense we wouldn't need to score as much, but just compared to last year, we were so much faster and were getting scoring offensive production from the entire team.  It's been nearly a 180 this season.  

We've had injuries, sure, but so have other teams.  I blame the coaching staff for having this entire team, top to bottom, playing poorly.  The slow starts should have been enough.  Couple that with all the other things I mentioned, and it's all the reason why Ruff's ass should be burning on the seat he's sitting in right now.

10 minutes ago, DevilMinder said:

Just disgusted. Can't play to win NHL games with an echl goalie with no rebound control or glove hand.

If the rest of the team was healthy and playing well we'd still need to score 6 goals a game to win because our goalies absolutely suck.

54 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Yep, but Fitz will use that card for himself and a reason to keep Lindy around, “never had a chance with a healthy roster, let’s see what they can do together”

Fitz doesn't need a card for himself now that he's extended but his goodwill with the fans and the media's gonna run out very quickly if he doesn't nuke some people after this sh!tshow of a season, the sooner the better.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, smelly said:

If it came down to it, would you rather build a deal for a clear No. 1 goalie around Holtz or Casey?

I don’t want to lose either, but I unfortunately fear that’s not realistic if they make a move. And they have to, whether now or over the summer. 

Having Luke and Nemec probably makes Casey more expendable than Holtz, imo. 

26 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Too late, he's already pissed away the season being Mr. Do-little

It’s almost mid-February and we have all known since October that we needed a goalie…desperately. Find a fvcking way already, Fitz. 

I didn't totally hate this one. Not ideal of course, but they really battled hard for most of the third. And they came pretty close to tying a game that seemed to be lost by the second period when they were looking pretty outmatched. 

Good things from the Hischier line of course. I'm hoping Lindy gives Holtz more time with Hughes. Marino has been looking better too.

Other than the goaltending, what really has been bothering me is Meier. He just looks so...okay. He does not look like the team's highest paid forward. I don't think this is his fault. It's pretty clear to me that he is dealing with an injury. Why not just let the guy get healthy? It's better in the long term, and honestly, I can't imagine the team will be that much worse off without this year's version of Meier.

For reference, Meier has the same amount of points as Palat, a player who many of us have felt has been dreadfully bad this season. He has less than HALF the points of Jack, in more games played. He has 3 more points than Dougie, who of course has missed most of the season. This is not the same player as last year's Meier. Something is up, and it just makes no sense to keep things going as they are.