Vanacek gone; Kahkonen from SJS coming in

smelly

5 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

What are the winning lotto numbers tonight?

In all seriousness, this is pretty hilarious people not only are these goalies pretty average and meh, but as others have said it's just too little too late. The Red Wings and Flyers won enough games in the past month to distance themselves from us, and just in the last week or two the Isles have done the same. 

We're behind, and no longer have games in hand. If this team can feel and play a little revitalized with a new guy in net, even if it is an average guy like Kahonen, then maybe they can win 15 of their next 20 and still get in. But that's literally what it's going to take at this point. .750 hockey. 

These moves are not about this season. You just got VV’s money off the cap for next year with NO money retained.  Fitz will now have money to spend to go for a bigger name.  Less than $2 million in payroll tied up in goaltending next year. 

• Like 3

I'm listening to Fitz's presser - he basically said they'll big game-hunting for a goalie in the summer.

No surprise there given the goalie moves today but still nice to hear him basically confirm it.

• Like 4

Just now, nmigliore said:

I'm listening to Fitz's presser - he basically said they'll big game-hunting for a goalie in the summer.

No surprise there given the goalie moves today but still nice to hear him basically confirm it.

I think it’s gonna be Saros.  

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

These moves are not about this season. You just got VV’s money off the cap for next year with NO money retained.  Fitz will now have money to spend to go for a bigger name.  Less than $2 million in payroll tied up in goaltending next year. 

There's no doubt, strategically, that it helps next season, but I feel that it was at least in part done to help make some sort of push this season too. Maybe Fitz wanted to do this earlier in the season but didn't have any willing participants because other GMs wanted to wait until the deadline. Who knows.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Muevelos said:

Any chance we keep Kakko next year? Is he younger, he was supposedly good this year minus our game against him. Why not keep him and try and move Allen again in the Offseason. 

Based on Fitz's presser, absolutely not. He held nothing back to say the VV trade was not about Kakko all while he praising Allen, his veteran/locker room presence and confirmed he plans for him to be here next season.

I almost wonder if they took Kakko back in that deal just to have a non-Daws/Schmid goalie to start while Allen clears up his visa situation. 

Edited by nmigliore
  • Like 3

Here were the most relevant comments on the goalie situation; also, not included but notable - supposedly the Devils tried for Allen earlier in the season but since they were on his NTC, they were told no. 

Edited by nmigliore
  • Like 5

27 minutes ago, nmigliore said:

Here were the most relevant comments on the goalie situation; also, not included but notable - supposedly the Devils tried for Allen earlier in the season but since they were on his NTC, they were told no. 

If we were on his NTC list earlier, why would he waive it now when we've been playing bad and are basically out of the playoff race?

Now that we gave Calgary a legit player in Sharongovich, what other young players can Fitz send them to help in their rebuild? Holtz, Casey, and a first-rounder as the cherry on top? Can't wait for him to give away the farm for Markstrom. I might be in the minority, but i think Fitz could have done better. We gave away Sharongovich (who's turning into a top player in Calgary) for a second round pick essentially. Sure, he was misused here just like Timo, but to lose him for what we got in return just sucks now in hindsight.

Anyway... We'll see what happens this summer.

Edited by slasher72

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

If we were on his NTC list earlier, why would he waive it now when we've been playing bad and are basically out of the playoff race?

Hmmm. He has no intention of sticking around or maybe he was told he'll be part of the deal for Markstrom this summer? Lol. A joke. Yea, it's an odd trade. 

Edited by slasher72
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, nmigliore said:

As he should be and as he was already. At the end of the day, the ransom they will have to pay to do this isn't going to go down all that much if at all this offseason baring one of the goalies going scorched earth on their team.

At this point, you'll have to accept that and get taken to the cleaners but sometimes that just what you have to do. It won't be pretty but it is what it is.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nmigliore said:

"a Stanley Cup champ" 

Lol he played like 25 mins in relief in 1 game that entire playoff run

Kahkonen has had some pretty solid years, especially when he was with MIN. Could we finally be one of those teams that gets a reclamation project in goal who completely turns it around with some new scenery? Seemed to work out for Taylor Hall, albeit at a different position? One can dream, right? lol

Edited by slasher72
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, slasher72 said:

Kahkonen has had some pretty solid years, especially when he was with MIN. Could we finally be one of those teams that gets a reclamation project in goal who completely turns it around with some new scenery? Seemed to work out for Taylor Hall, albeit at a different position? One can dream, right? lol

If we didn't have Rogalski, yep I'd believe.

I wanted us to snag Kahkonen before he was traded to San Jose so this move I'm cautiously optimistic on. I think, if the team holds with actually controlling pucks in the defensive zone and by some miracle stops giving up odd man rushes or flat out breakaways, he'll perform better than both Schmid or Daws based solely on experience. I think the game we shelled him was a typical bad-goalie night.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I wanted us to snag Kahkonen before he was traded to San Jose so this move I'm cautiously optimistic on. I think, if the team holds with actually controlling pucks in the defensive zone and by some miracle stops giving up odd man rushes or flat out breakaways, he'll perform better than both Schmid or Daws based solely on experience. I think the game we shelled him was a typical bad-goalie night.

He’s similar to what Green is to this team, in that he’s here solely to finish out the season (especially with what Fitz said yesterday).  But yeah, if he’s able to outplay Schmid and Daws and the team can actually help out their goalies just a little as this year winds down, no complaints.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jagknife said:

Yea, Rogalski is the fly in the birthday cake for sure. One of the negatives that will come unfortunately if we hire Berube; Rogalski will continue to get paid to do an atrocious job. 

With Sullivan though, he'll definitely be gone. 

• Like 1