GDT: 03-29-2024 Devils @ Sabres 7:00PM EST MSGSN

Rock

2 hours ago, Lateralous said:

We just won two good games in a row.  We all know how this one plays out.    

They won two in a row.  They didn't look particularly good doing out...outshot 81-55 combined in the two games.

I know insane goaltending has helped, but FWIW, as far as bright spots go, the Devils have suddenly killed 42 out of their last 46 penalties.  They've moved into the Top 10 to boot...go figure.  

• Like 2

The Devils effectively are in the same position as the 1987-88 Devils were.  As Sean Burke said (paraphrasing):  "We were in it, but not REALLY in it.  We had to win just about every game."

Devils might be able to give up three points absolute max, if they want to make it in.  Only realistic berths are Metro3 (Flyers) and WC2 (Caps). 

Quick math:  if the Flyers go 4-4 over their final 8, Devils have to go 7-2 to tie them; due to more wins, the Devils win that tiebreaker.   If the Caps go 5-5 over their final 10, the Devils have to go 7-1-1; same deal as the Flyers, all the Devils would have to do is tie them, and they would win the tiebreaker based on wins.

Of course, the Red Wings and Isles are currently in better position, but too much time to go to make too much out of that.

Basically, Devils need to go 7-1-1, maybe 7-2-0 at absolute worst.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The Devils effectively are in the same position as the 1987-88 Devils were.  As Sean Burke said (paraphrasing):  "We were in it, but not REALLY in it.  We had to win just about every game."

Devils might be able to give up three points absolute max, if they want to make it in.  Only realistic berths are Metro3 (Flyers) and WC2 (Caps). 

Quick math:  if the Flyers go 4-4 over their final 8, Devils have to go 7-2 to tie them; due to more wins, the Devils win that tiebreaker.   If the Caps go 5-5 over their final 10, the Devils have to go 7-1-1; same deal as the Flyers, all the Devils would have to do is tie them, and they would win the tiebreaker based on wins.

Of course, the Red Wings and Isles are currently in better position, but too much time to go to make too much out of that.

51c.gif

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Lol. I know it's 9am and I'm really not trying to piss in anyone's cheerios but this team has consistently showed us they don't have what it takes this year to do anything remotely like this. 

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me dozens of times, shame on us. 

That being said...

LETS GO DEVILS!!! 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Satans Hockey said:

Lol. I know it's 9am and I'm really not trying to piss in anyone's cheerios but this team has consistently showed us they don't have what it takes this year to do anything remotely like this. 

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me dozens of times, shame on us. 

That being said...

LETS GO DEVILS!!! 

Oh this isn’t me making a case for the Devils finding a way…this is me showing how much of a longshot this really is.  They have almost NO margin for error.

The fan in me will keep hoping, the realist is me knows their chances are minimal at best.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

excatly what i was looking at earlier today ... considering that much teams still in it they probably can afford to loose one game and in best case two max.

most realistically you have catch the metro teams

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

My hopes aren’t up. I know better.

I don't blame ANYONE for feeling this way.  Like I've said previously, Lucy can only Charlie Brown the football away from you so many times before you decide that maybe it's not even worth trying to kick anymore.

The way I see it, anything less than four points these next two games, game over, no more continues.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I don't blame ANYONE for feeling this way.  Like I've said previously, Lucy can only Charlie Brown the football away from you so many times before you decide that maybe it's not even worth trying to kick anymore.

The way I see it, anything less than four points these next two games, game over, no more continues.  

Yeah, no excuses tonight or Tuesday. We're coming off two days rest heading into tonight's game, and Tuesday we'll have three days off in between.  Boys ned to empty the tank every single game from here until potentially the playoffs, and then obviously thereafter as well, if they happen to make it.

Realistically, I think they can only "afford" to lose one, maybe two games the rest of the way, and they might even need to take one or both of them to OT. 9 games left leaves us with a max points possible of 94 if we won them all. Usually that's right around the cutoff.  The most important thing, really, is winning the games against the Flyers and Isles.  Lose those, and we're almost certainly done.

One step at a time .

• Like 2