MOGILNY CLEARS WAIVERS

DevsRule

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why in the hell is Darren Langdon still holding a roster spot, Janssen has already proven to be more useful and BETTER.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't get it either, to me Ras or anyone else for that matter would have made a much better thirteenth forward. If there is a trade like people think (I'm not so sure this neccesarily means a move's in store though it gives the Devils flexibility to make a move at 'some' point) then maybe just maybe Langdon will be off the team then, god knows Lou's gotten rid of just about every other player he's signed the last two offseasons - so much for Lou being afraid to let go of FA's so soon after signing them :P

Quit whining. The waiving of these players won't affect that much other FAs. Those guys were borderline older players. It's not like it was a big FA in their prime. Come on now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If Lou does this kinda thing NEXT year then I'd be worried about signing FA's long term, but as was said earlier in this thread this offseason was so unpredictable and some of these signings were made pre-cap so I don't think FA's will hold it agianst Lou long-term that he had to get rid of players this year.

If Lou does this kinda thing NEXT year then I'd be worried about signing FA's long term, but as was said earlier in this thread this offseason was so unpredictable and some of these signings were made pre-cap so I don't think FA's will hold it agianst Lou long-term that he had to get rid of players this year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly- too much is being made of that. We signed either marginal players (Oliwa, Rheaume, McUseless) an old dude that used to be decent and wanted to retire if not for the exorbinant amount of money said old dude was offered (Malaschmuck), or a once great player at the tail end of his career who just had hip surgery (Mogilny). It's not like we signed Tkachuk in his prime, he had a couple off months and we decided to dump him and his big salary to the waiver wire. These were risky signings who many- myself included- questioned ad infinitum. This will not affect our ability to sign a Chara or a Redden type guy come the summer.

Lou has been pretty heartless about it all honestly...I mean yeah I'm just as shocked as everyone else about Langdon still being here...I'm beginning to think Lou thinks he's just some Albany player and has forgotten about him :) But seriously..this just harks back to what I said earlier...I believe the success of this team was brought on by everyone involved with player selection, not just Lou...I think he got lucky a bit and has taken the credit since he is President, GM, God or whatever :D I believe he is just really a hard nosed kinda guy who is looking to save money...he had a string of good teams that won the Cup a few times but when push came to shove and he was under pressure he made a lot of mistakes...and of course he's admitting them now but in the end its all business to him...Hell, Freeze asked what his status was before he bought a house in Jersey and obviously got an answer he liked cuz he bought it...then a few weeks later Lou traded him...come on if that's not heartless (replace heartless with business if you like) then I don't know what is! And to set things straight, I'm not knocking Lou, I just believe no one really looks at our talent scouts and things like that when talking about how good are farm team was as far as producing quality players...I mean despite what some thing Lou doesn't scout every high school/college/minor leaguer then sign/draft them and then groom them into successful players..yeah he helps but it takes a lot of people to pull something like that off :D

Quick question...  If someone DOES pick him up, does any of his salary count towards the cap?

Not on his way down to Albany. It's only on the way back up that he would still count partially against the cap.

Obviously if another team picks him up it will count against THEIR cap.

BTW - if we were $900,000 below the cap BEFORE, and we save about $2M here (since we've paid Mogilny about half his salary, we can bring in $2.9M worth of salary.

Who would have thunk we could be a BUYER at the trade deadline?!?!

BTW - if we were $900,000 below the cap BEFORE, and we save about $2M here (since we've paid Mogilny about half his salary, we can bring in $2.9M worth of salary.

Who would have thunk we could be a BUYER at the trade deadline?!?!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well it was disastrous performances that has brought us to this point.

What are you smoking???  Yeah Elias was ill however you forget about the hip surgeries Mogliny has been thru...it is amazing he can still skate... have you any idea what hip surgery leaves a person with???  Sluggo do a better job...like I said...what are you smoking :noclue:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wtf does the hip surgery have to do with anything? Do we not take action because he had hip surgery? It doesn't change the fact that he sucks this year (whether it be hip surgery induced or not).

What do you mean what am I smoking? Suglobov played much better than Mogilny in his only game of the season and would continue to do so if given the chance.

Stop big FAs from coming here? Hmmmm.... like so many have chosen to come here.... can anyone name one????? Could our track record with big name FAs be any worse because we've never signed one? BTW, Sean Brown doesn't count!

If Almo is hurting then I wish this was done with more class. If not, hard to see Lou in a positive light here.

too bad. Mogilny was a great player for a lot of years and a great player for the Devils -- picked up at deadline in 1999-2000 and then scored over 40 goals in 2000-2001.

He never showed a lot of outward emotion even when he was scoring 70 goals.... he cared. He just lost that fifth gear that allowed him to turn the corner and quick cutback that allowed him to get open for all those years. Everyone gets old and losses their great moves... no reason to dump on a good guy. The guy had limited play in 03-04 and had hip surgery in the lockout year --- body is broke down

BTW ...Suglobov is a LW and Mogilny spent every game of his career playing right handed. Suglobov is not going to replace 89 in the lineup, unless he starts playing RW.

When Lou went behind the bench it gave him a better feel for what was going on with the team.

This is true. Lou as coach may have been the best thing (or worst thing, depending on how you look at it) to happen to the Devils this season.

Wow, this sounds like a Ranger or Flyer fan here.  Just the frustration of another organization (and their fan base), that I enjoy watching their last game of the year every year!

Actually, it's a Leafs fan.

Stop big FAs from coming here? Hmmmm.... like so many have chosen to come here.... can anyone name one????? Could our track record with big name FAs be any worse because we've never signed one? BTW, Sean Brown doesn't count!

Allegedly one of the big selling points of the cap is that it puts everyone on an even playing field; that is, the Calgarys and New Jerseys of the world have just as much a chance as the Rangers and Flyers, possibly even more so since money becomes less of a factor, allowing such elements on location and winning to enter into the equation.

I haven't read this thread but the only thing I can think is that Lou planned this all along. When he was interviewed on OTR he was asked about Elias/Mogs and he said something like "I hope we'll see them play together.." He either really doubted Elias' health or planned on ditching Almo when Patty was back. Kind of annoys me though, after losing the M&M's and Oliwa I thought we were under the cap, and EGG/Parise-Kozlov-Mogs seemed like a good top 2 lines in the 'new' NHL.