New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

Remember when the NHL suspended Schoenfield without a hearing & Lou then won an injunction in Federal Court because the suspension violated the due process rights of the NHL/NHLPA contract.

Yeah, for some reason I thought about that a lot during the Flyers/Devils P/O series.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill Daly's official announcement, per TG:

“The contract has been rejected by the league as a circumvention of the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Under the CBA, the contract rejection triggers a number of possible next steps that may be elected by any or each of the NHLPA, the player and/or the club. In the interim, the player is not entitled to play under the contract, nor is he entitled to any of the rights and benefits that are provided for thereunder. The league will have no further comment on this matter pending further developments.”

The controversy is all about the dollars in the final years, not the players actual age.

Similarly if the Islanders, trying to reach the cap floor, offering a player aged 44 an 8-million/year deal to inflate their cap-hit, it too would cause controversy.

Common sense tells me that it is possible, perhaps probable that Ilya will not be playing at 44.

Yet sometimes common sense and the limits of rules are at odds with each other.

It's really both. The dollar amount just supports the unlikelihood of playing at 44. If the last 5 years of his contract were at 550k but ended at 40 it wouldn't be a problem. Flipside, if his contract took him to 44 but it was still paying him 5 million dollars it wouldn't be a problem.

It's the fact that it's already unlikely that a 44 year old plays combined with the fact he would be making what is the equivalent to like $350k in today's dollars shows that he most likely won't be playing in those years.

I think the league would approve a 1 year, 8 million dollar contract to a 44 year in a heartbeat.

So if Kovy ends up on another team do we boo him? dontknow.gif

What do you mean another team? ohmy.gif

He said: "I'll be a Devil for life" and he'll be!

Some guys are just jealous of his big smile and his "luxurious hair" - somebody used this term once, I guess.

Edited by GIRLNRED

I wonder now if this wasd part of the reason for holding the press conference so soon, and making it public. If there was a fear that the contract would be rejected, the plan might have been to make it very difficult for Kovalchuk to leave after he said all that stuff about wanting to win, wanting to be in New Jersey, etc.

Could the solution really be as simple as taking $500k off his five $11.5M years and adding it to his five $550k years, then switching things around a little at the end?

Kovalchuk - 6 6 11 11 11 11 11 10.5 8.5 6.5 3.5 1.05 1.05 1.05 1.05 1.05 .75

Luongo - 10 6.716 6.714 6.714 6.714 6.714 6.714 6.714 3.382 1.618 1 1

Hossa - 7.9 7.9 7.9 7.9 7.9 7.9 7.9 4 1 1 .75 .75

Pronger - 7.6 7.6 7.2 7 4 .525 .525

If the NHL's argument is that the final years don't offer enough financial incentive for Kovalchuk to play into his 40s, a simple change like this would offer just as much, if not more, incentive than comparable contracts that were approved.

I think this deal is approved if Lou doesn't make the comments he made yesterday about "rolling his eyes" at these contracts and that even though it's within the CBA, "we shouldn't have these [contracts]."

He should have just said we are glad to have Kovalchuk here for the next 17 years.

yeah lou did get seem to get too chatty with TG.

Edited by ice dog

It's really both. The dollar amount just supports the unlikelihood of playing at 44. If the last 5 years of his contract were at 550k but ended at 40 it wouldn't be a problem. Flipside, if his contract took him to 44 but it was still paying him 5 million dollars it wouldn't be a problem.

It's the fact that it's already unlikely that a 44 year old plays combined with the fact he would be making what is the equivalent to like $350k in today's dollars shows that he most likely won't be playing in those years.

I think the league would approve a 1 year, 8 million dollar contract to a 44 year in a heartbeat.

I meant to say "as part of a contract, they offered a 44 y/o 8 million" not meaning a one-year deal.

It wouldn't meet the common sense test, but what if Garth Snow un-retired this year & paid himself 8 million to be the backup keeper so the Isles could reach the cap floor?

I guess the contract would be approved.

Could the solution really be as simple as taking $500k off his five $11.5M years and adding it to his five $550k years, then switching things around a little at the end?

Kovalchuk - 6 6 11 11 11 11 11 10.5 8.5 6.5 3.5 1.05 1.05 1.05 1.05 1.05 .75

I think that contract gets approved.

As it is apparent, the current CBA structure is flawed in providing loopholes to circumvent. I never liked the dollar cost averaging of Salary Cap Hit, just because of this slippery slope it has now lead to these long term contracts. Salary Cap Hit should be the player salary paid any given year, but this is the NHL's problem for allowing the current CBA,

Then again, maybe the NHL likes all the player movement and drama.

This Kovy dealing/signing/drama sure has given the NHL an incredible amount of publicity worldwide.

If the arbitrator doesn't rule in favor, it's just minor tweaks to this historic deal and it's all done.

More of a NHL P.R. stunt.

Here's one pic for nostalgia:

Null_Void.png

BIG TRADE RUMOR>

Another rumor that just broke is the Rangers are considering trading Marian Gaborik to the LA Kings and signing Kovalchuk. Very interesting rumor indeed. We all remember Gaborik had wanted to play in LA going into last summer's UFA period prior to signing in NY.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Єklund (2.3% accurate)/KingsRangers-Getting-Back-In-On-Kovalchuk-Gaborik-Trade-to-LA-Leafs/1/29435

Єklund (2.3% accurate)

After sleeping on it I honestly don't think it's that big a deal, though the timing really does seem designed to embarrass a HOF GM. Take off two years, take the 11.5's down to 11 and push all the 550's up to 1Mil even or maybe 1.1 or something, and we're done.

It's more the sting of embarassment and having our team and its big day shown up as a laughing stock in the league by that pinhead Bettman that hurts - but this will be done shortly I think and we'll ride heard all season. :) Win the Cup, and shove it down all their throats!

BIG TRADE RUMOR>

Another rumor that just broke is the Rangers are considering trading Marian Gaborik to the LA Kings and signing Kovalchuk. Very interesting rumor indeed. We all remember Gaborik had wanted to play in LA going into last summer's UFA period prior to signing in NY.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Єklund (2.3% accurate)/KingsRangers-Getting-Back-In-On-Kovalchuk-Gaborik-Trade-to-LA-Leafs/1/29435

Єklund (2.3% accurate)

My god can Єklund (2.3% accurate) just please kill himself? The Rangers should maybe try to re-sign Staal first.