The Albany/Trenton Devils Thread

Triumph

Unfortunately we lost our excellent minor league correspondents when the Devils moved from Lowell to Albany. Since we don't seem to have anyone picking up that slack yet, I figured I'd post a thread to put links to game summaries, etc.

Albany's Record: 3-1-0

Goal Differential: +1

Leading Scorer: Stephen Gionta (1-3-4)

Top Goalie: Jeff Frazee (2-1-0, 2.05 GAA, .920 SV%)

Last night the Albany Devs edged by the former Times Union Center tenants, the Charlotte Checkers, 2-1. Frazee got the win, stopping 25 of 26. Michael Swift broke a 3rd period tie with his first of the year. Adam Henrique also got his first professional goal. Next up: Home vs. Norfolk, on Saturday 10/23.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would think that with the talent down there, they should be pretty decent this year. of course, we may overrate a lot of that talent, but that's another story.

pretty decent, yeah, i think that's a good way to put it. there's a lot of first year NA pros, and even though there's good depth, there's no one who's going to be scoring 50 goals. they should be a playoff team.

pretty decent, yeah, i think that's a good way to put it. there's a lot of first year NA pros, and even though there's good depth, there's no one who's going to be scoring 50 goals. they should be a playoff team.

It's good to see that Frazee is having a good start because of last year. Hopefully players like Urbom, Tedenby and Henrique have good years

Unfortunately we lost our excellent minor league correspondents when the Devils moved from Lowell to Albany. Since we don't seem to have anyone picking up that slack yet, I figured I'd post a thread to put links to game summaries, etc.

Yeah, sorry about that. Having the Canes in town for four years kinda lessened my enthusiasm for following the team, haven't quite picked it back up yet with the Devils back.

Yeah, sorry about that. Having the Canes in town for four years kinda lessened my enthusiasm for following the team, haven't quite picked it back up yet with the Devils back.

no worries, i don't think i'd be too excited if i had to trade the devils in for the canes. better hurry, though, this team is probably the best one for the the foreseeable future. this year we got 4 legit guys w/ NHL hope into the system (tedenby, urbom, henrique, mcintyre) - next year i'd be surprised if there was anyone added to the team who is as good as any of those four.

Edited by Triumph

no worries, i don't think i'd be too excited if i had to trade the devils in for the canes. better hurry, though, this team is probably the best one for the the foreseeable future. this year we got 4 legit guys w/ NHL hope into the system (tedenby, urbom, henrique, mcintyre) - next year i'd be surprised if there was anyone added to the team who is as good as any of those four.

If its going to be anyone it will be at the back end and it will either be Gelinas or Burlon, both those guys have a lot of tallent, outside that i think its pretty much it.

What does Mcintyre do well? How should he project as an NHL player?

Well I got in a war with his lackey booster club members at HF over McIntyre and they seem to think he has excellent hockey sense to play the next level as a center. I strongly disagreed saying he doesn't think well enough to be a center at the NHL level and would be better suited switching to the wing.

bump.

missed a game, Albany lost 3-2 to Norfolk on Saturday, 10/23. Albany got outshot 32-22 and gave up 3 power play goals.

However, tonight, Albany defeated the Wolf Pack 3-1. Shots 29 Albany, 25 Hartford, goal scorers are Henrique, Davis, and Murray with the empty net goal.

Albany moves to 4-2-0 with the win.

http://theahl.com/stats/game-summary.php?game_id=1007437

Next game is 10/29 at Providence.

Edited by Triumph

Two games since this was updated - 10/29 at Providence, the Devils won 3-2. Stephen Gionta broke a late 3rd period tie, and Frazee stopped 30 shots.

Saturday at Syracuse was not so lucky - the Devils fell, 3-2. Tedenby scored his 2nd goal of the season, however.

The Albany Devs have a respectable 5-3-0 record so far. Next up: 11/5 at Worcester.

I'm currently watching the Albany game against Providence on AHL live.

After a 4:6 loss to Rochester yesterday the Devils lead 2:0 after the first period. First Palmieri tipped in a beautiful goalmouth pass by McIntyre, than Zharkov scored on the PP out of a scramble in front of the Bruins goal. That PP came after Davison was hit hard into the boards which led to a major penalty and a game misconduct for the Bruins player. Davison was helped to the locker room but returned during the period.

Devils are the better team so far. In addition to the goals, Eckford hit the crossbar with a slapshot.

Zharkov looks great out there. He's all over the ice almost every shift. Henrique looks also good to me. However, he got a penalty called against him in the last seconds of the period, so the Devils will start the second shorthanded.

Tedenby is not in the lineup tonight. It was not said why, but I hope it's just him getting some rest because it's the third game in as many days for Albany.

Edited by GermanDevil

4:4 after the second period. Providence scored on their pp right at the beginning of the period. Devils answerd right back with Perkovich scoring from a sharp angle and Henrique deflecting a piont shot by Anderson on the PP to make it 4:1. However, Providence scored on the PP again and was dominant from than on. Although Frazee made some big saves Providence tied it with 2 more goals, one of them on the PP again.

I don't want to blame the Devils meltdown on the refs but the number of penalties called in this game is ridicoulus. It looks like German hockey if not worse.

And the meltdown continued. Albany loses 4:6 after being up 4:1 early in the 2nd. First of all they were killed by their extremely weak PK. Devils killed of only 2 of 6 Providence powerplays. But they never really found a way back into the game since Providence scored their 2nd goal.

Edited by GermanDevil

I had read a while ago that the few games Albany is playing down in AC is to test the waters for possible moving the Trenton Devils there and moving Albany to Trenton. Do anyone of you guys feel like this is even a slightly realistic possibility? From what I heard, the previous minor league team that played in AC didn't draw too many fans, so I'm not sure that having another one will rekindle the area's interest. I also imagine most people in that area are Flyers faithful and wouldn't want to see a Devils affiliate even if they are interested in hockey.+

Trenton isn't too far from where I am and I'd be far more interested in seeing our AHL affiliate than seeing the Trenton Devils. Nothing against the TDevs, I'd just be more excited to see players that I recognize and will much more likely could be part of big club in the near future.

I was supposed to go up there this weekend. Really wanted to catch a game but... we didnt make itup anyhow, So... hunting season... so we're supposed to again next weekend -but there are only away games - Id be better off if the old man were hunting the Gap and I can haul it to Wilkes Barre... I think we'll just be here though honestly. one of these days ONE OF THESE DAYS!

Edited by Pepperkorn