Burnside suggests Devils need to get #1 center

USC09

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5784087&categoryid=2459791

As much as I hate Scott Burnside, I think he has a point in this video. He talks about how Marc Savard was very influential in Ilya Kovalchuk's career in Atlanta. So, now the question is who could be that #1 center the Devils need? Savard is likely out til January with post concussion symptoms and Boston is not likely to trade him. So, for now Zajac and Arnott need to show poise and start improving their play and skate with Kovalchuk.

burnside is a dumbass.

but i don't think zajac has taken that next step to be considered a #1 center. i think he's benefited more by playing with zach than the other way around.

Agree Zach and Parise have been good together but Kovy doesn't have chemistry with anyone at this point except Lou and Vanderbeek.

We have needed a play-making center for ever, Gomer was good at getting the puck to his wingers in scoring position, but after he left, there was and is a void in that area (I hate Gomer too, but he did a good job in that department).

I just said this 2 days ago. I really like Zajac, but he isn't a #1 center, and for all th flak that Gomez took for passing too much, the team could use a fast playmaking center like that. I think he may be one of the best fits out there actually.(not dollar wise of course.)

I never thought Zajac had it in him to be a true #1 center. He meshes VERY well with Parise though and on a line with him, he puts up 1st line pts. We do need to get someone else who can put up around 70pts or more to play with Kovy. Arnott's not the man, I wouldn't mind resigning him as a 3rd line center next year if his play improves and we can get him for 2mil or less, this way he can still play with Elias.

I feel this team needs another good playmaking center for Kovy and 2 decent right wings for the top 2 lines. Zubrus is good, but hasn't put up top 6 pts while he's been here, so I'd slot him as a 3rd line guy for now, though I'd like to see him used in a trade to get someone who better fits here. Don't get me wrong, Zubrus has played very well, but he's not worth 3.4mil when he can't even top 50pts on any line here. I feel like he'd benefit from a change of scenery and we should use the fact that he has value to get something in return for him. Maybe we could get a decent D-man for him at some point and possibly save $$ in the process.

If what I said above happens, it opens up more cap space to sign a RW in the off season to play on the top line. I feel our need is greater at RW than center because I'd hate to sign a big name when Josefson could turn out to be a solid 2nd center. Of course he could be a bust, but I would hate to waste big bucks on a UFA center when we might have what we need right here in NJ for dirt cheap...for at least until he asks for that big payday.

Josefson will hopefully exceed Zajac in terms of ability if he reaches top potential.

Zajac, arnott are a good 1-2, just that no one is performing at the moment.

The real issue is at the back end IMO.

We have lost Stevens, Niedermayer, Rafalski and Martin and added no one of any real quallity back there.

By adding a true #1 D man i think it would solve a lot of our problems.

Kovy doesn't have chemistry with anyone at this point except Lou and Vanderbeek.

LOL. Sad but true.

Maybe a few years ago this was true. But Arnott and Zajac are a good 1 & 2.

The problem is we have no one on defense capable of getting the puck to them.

Edited by MantaRay

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5784087&categoryid=2459791

As much as I hate Scott Burnside, I think he has a point in this video. He talks about how Marc Savard was very influential in Ilya Kovalchuk's career in Atlanta. So, now the question is who could be that #1 center the Devils need? Savard is likely out til January with post concussion symptoms and Boston is not likely to trade him. So, for now Zajac and Arnott need to show poise and start improving their play and skate with Kovalchuk.

Agreed. Gomez would tear it up with Kovy. If there was ever a time for Lou to get nostalgic, it is now. Bring back Gomer to pair up with Kovy and then you would see results.

THANK YOU!!!!!! Zajac is NOT a No. 1 Center for anybody! Hes a 2nd line center at best.

Rarely do I agree with Burnside but im glad someone else has seen this! Ive been saying this for the past two years. Zajac is the most overrated player on the team and lives off free passes from the team and fans. We should be expecting a lot more out of him.

If it was possible id take Gomez back in a heartbeat....or take a gamble on acquiring Savard

Edited by devlman

Gomez and Savard aren't the answers. I think Malkin is gettable and better than both of those guys, not too mention younger and healthier.

Parise for Malkin is a good a deal as we can straight up.

Trading Parise isnt the solution to anything though. So, in that regard, Malkin is not attainable

If Zajac can't be considered a number 1 center then there is no way Gomez can be considered one. Zajac is a way better hockey player than Gomez is. Offensively Zajac is on par with Gomez and defensively Zajac destroys Gomez.

True Gomez isnt a no.1 center. I just think he'd work great with Kovy. Offensively, Zajac cant hold Gomez' jockstrap.