fourth overall pick!!!!!!

depths of HELL

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the player is good enough to make the team out of training camp, he'll be on the roster next season.

I dunno, isn't there a ridiculous contract bonus if kids play in the NHL the first season after their drafted? Or am I mistaken?

I doubt such bonuses could be fit with the devils' current cap situation

Is there any doubt that Nugent-Hopkins, Larsson, and Landeskog will go 1, 2, 3 in some order? Leaves us with Couturier, Hamilton, Murphy, Huberdeau, Murphy, Zibanejad, or Brodin?

There is absolutely some doubt. Out of the three guys on NHL.com who do mock drafts, only one of them had those guys as their top 3. However, all of them have RNH and Landeskog as the top 2. The third spot changed for all of them however. They also each had us picking different guys. Kimelman has us on Larsson, Morreale has us on Huberdeau, and Hoffner says Hamilton. Those are all great prospects but I admit I would love to be able to add another Swede to the team if we can. Larsson seems like he'd be a great fit.

Is there any doubt that Nugent-Hopkins, Larsson, and Landeskog will go 1, 2, 3 in some order? Leaves us with Couturier, Hamilton, Murphy, Huberdeau, Murphy, Zibanejad, or Brodin?

i know little to nothing but i have my doubts with the no dought...hopkins i see going 1st but after that im not sure...col just traded for johnson and flo drafted a top defensive prospect last season...landeskog is said to have a lower ceiling in terms of potential

i could see one of landeskog or larrson being available at the 4th...would be happy with either

my early prediction is Ed - Hopkins...Col - Landeskog...Flo - Couturier which means we really could have a chance at a top notch d-man who eats up 25 to 30 mins a game in a few seasons

I dunno, isn't there a ridiculous contract bonus if kids play in the NHL the first season after their drafted? Or am I mistaken?

I doubt such bonuses could be fit with the devils' current cap situation

There are bonuses involved, but it completely depends on how much they pay and how they're divvied up, and most importantly, how the entry level player performs.

The current cap situation would have no effect. We can fit a 925k (what the rookie cap is this year) player easily. The bonuses wouldnt hit the cap until year 2, when Rolston, Pelley, White, and Salvador come off of the books. The cap is also going up 4 million next season and will likely go up again in 12-13.

Its complicated stuff to figure out, but this is the best article Ive seen:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=16855&blogger_id=51

And no, its not written by Єklund (2.3% accurate)

Edited by ghdi

There are bonuses involved, but it completely depends on how much they pay and how they're divvied up, and most importantly, how the entry level player performs.

The current cap situation would have no effect. We can fit a 925k (what the rookie cap is this year) player easily. The bonuses wouldnt hit the cap until year 2, when Rolston, Pelley, White, and Salvador come off of the books. The cap is also going up 4 million next season and will likely go up again in 12-13.

Its complicated stuff to figure out, but this is the best article Ive seen:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=16855&blogger_id=51

And no, its not written by Єklund (2.3% accurate)

eh.... we have 3,6% of winning the lottery draft and we won now i will always believe in Єklund (2.3% accurate) :P

ghdi:

sorry but your information is incorrect. there is no bonus cushion next season. this means that all bonuses count against the cap regardless of whether they actually vest. since the 4th overall pick usually gets a contract that is worth around 2 million dollars per season, the devils will have trouble fitting this player in, and should almost certainly not play them.

larsson is signed through next season with his SEL team though.

ghdi:

sorry but your information is incorrect. there is no bonus cushion next season. this means that all bonuses count against the cap regardless of whether they actually vest. since the 4th overall pick usually gets a contract that is worth around 2 million dollars per season, the devils will have trouble fitting this player in, and should almost certainly not play them.

If we draft Larsson... Can he play with us next year?

ghdi:

They're going to have to find a way to make it work.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS

Ilya Kovalchuk ($6.666m) / Travis Zajac ($3.887m) / Brian Rolston ($5.062m)

Patrik Elias ($6.000m) / Dainius Zubrus ($3.400m) / David Clarkson ($2.666m)

Dave Steckel ($1.100m) / Jacob Josefson ($0.900m) / Mattias Tedenby ($0.875m)

Nick Palmieri ($0.801m) / Rod Pelley ($0.550m) / Zach Parise ($6.000m)

Random Rookie ($2.000m)

DEFENSEMEN

Anton Volchenkov ($4.250m) / Henrik Tallinder ($3.375m)

Colin White ($3.000m) / Bryce Salvador ($2.900m)

Mark Fayne ($0.542m) / Anssi Salmela ($0.612m)

/ Matthew Taormina ($0.510m)

GOALTENDERS

Martin Brodeur ($5.200m) / Random Goalie ($0.750m)

BUYOUTS: Jay Pandolfo ($0.833m) / Andrew Peters ($0.166m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $62,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,050,001; BONUSES: $240,000

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $149,999

It's not ideal, but it's not like it keeps them from fielding a roster. Zach's salary is an assumption based on arbitration hearing held in my head. They're going to have to make a trade, though, to free up room to improve the team, or resign Greene. Salvador is listed but I have a feeling he won't be there, by hook or by crook.

I cannot see RNH being avalaible for the Devils in 4th, i think Edmonton take him 1st overall.

I can see Colorado adding Larsson with the second pick, although they are in need of wingers so they could take Landeskog. But i think they can still effectivly address tat issue with the number 11 pick they have from St Louis.

If Larsson is still avalaible then Florida takes him, they have Gudbranson but they need more at the back. If not then i can see them taking Cotourier.

I can see it going:

1. Edmonton- Nugent-Hopkins

2. Colorado- Larsson

3. Florida- Cotourier

4. New Jersey- Landeskog

Wow, I got up, checked TSN's site and saw Tambellini and for whatever reason I was sure it meant the Oilers won the lottery. But then I read the news and I literally started jumping all over the room. :evil: I thought we could have a decent chance with 6th overall pick, but with 8th, I pretty much gave up hope for us winning the lottery. Still, the last three years the #1 (or #30, depends on how you look at it :)) team won it and the last time a aclub from outside of bottom 5 won was 12 years ago, so guess we were due... It was a good year to suck. :evil:

I'm still pumped!!! :D

The last time I followed the rankings was in January, when I was actually expecting us to get a top 4 pick. Back then it was all about Landeskog, Larsson, Nugent-Hopkins and Couturier. Adam Kimelman still has it this way on NHL.com, but a lot of scouts and writers say things changed a bit since then and now you can even see Larsson dropping out of top 4 and Couturier ranked as low as #6. I gotta admit I don't know much about other guys, so Couturier seems like a very good, realistic pick to me. If Larsson is still available at #4, we should absolutely go after him, though. I'd even take him with #2.

I need to read more about guys like Huberdeau, Bealiau and Hamilton. Looks like they made progress since January and it might be a good idea to take one of them before Couturier.

What no one hear really talk about Couturier ?

Seems a devils type of player ...

If he is still available (and Larsson isn't)... i don't see Lou not jumping on this kid.

But again, who i am to be that certain ? ; )

so amazing... now i can't wait for the draft, 73 days to go !!! lol

my #1 pick would be Larsson then then best center available... i can't see Lou going for Landeskog if he's available we are already stacked on LW. IMO were getting either Larsson, Huberdeau or Couturier

what im thinking about the top4 teams:

• Oilers would need a D, but may not want to pass on RNH, and try to get a more experience and proven D during the next few summers. Rookie Ds are often slower to develop and i think the Oilers would rather have a quick impact.

• Avs already have Duchene, Stasny and O'Reilly at center... really can't see them go after RNH, Huberdeau or Couturier. They already have an alright D with lots of youngster coming... i could still see them go after Larsson but i think they'd rather get Landeskog on LW to play along Stastny or Duchene.

• Panthers will be re-building almost from nothing this summer, got rid of A LOT this season, God knows what they plan on doing now but they only have 3 Forwards and 3 Ds signed for next season so far, so its kinda hard to figure out what they would go after but they got Gudbranson last year, Kulikov in 09, their future goalie Markstrom then Robak in 2nd round in 08... so thats all Defense... i would assume they would start to build up front now

they have a good LW (Booth) then old samsonov, maybe they will sign Bergfors but anyways they are so-so on the wings, then Weiss and Stantorelli at center who's good/alright but any of those draft centers or Landeskog would be better, so i really think they will go for either a center (Couturier, RNH, Huberdeau) or Landeskog.

Then its US :cheers: at first i really thought it would be IMPOSSIBLE that Larsson slip #4 but the more i look at all of this it could really happen but if he's not... even if a D would be our priority especially a PMD, i think if we can't get the top one, i think Lou would try to get a center rather than go after the 2nd best D based on the quality center we could get compared to what we would get on the D

RNH: i dont think we would have a shot at him but god knows, never thought we would be in this position either lol. So i heard he has a Gretzkyesque vision and playmaking abilities. This can't hurt, paired with Parise or Kovie it would be deadly. He's listening to Rise Against before a game, i like that.

Huberdeau and Couturier are pretty much the same to me... Huberdeau have betters hands but Couturier is bigger and a better 2way-player

This board is kinda funny.

I started a thread earlier this year saying I was having a hard time watching the games because it was obvious that we were too far back to make the playoffs.

I absolutely HATE watching the team lose.

And even if they won, all it meant was that they were moving further and further away from getting a decent draft pick.

I was ridiculed on two basis:

(1) Psychologically, wins are good. And wins means Zach is more likely to stay with the team. And it gives the rest of the team confidence going into next year.

(2) This draft has no clear top players, so picking 1 thru 10 mean you get a good player, but no superstar. One pick is about as good any other pick in that range.

I give credence to point #1, though it is immeasurable. Happiness factor isn't something that they put on the back of your Upper Deck card. Even if they start next year well, you can't prove that it wouldn't have happened just the same had we finished last overall.

However, it's funny how I was pummeled by multiple people with point #2 and some of those same people are happy happy happy that we moved from 8th to 4th.

However, it's funny how I was pummeled by multiple people with point #2 and some of those same people are happy happy happy that we moved from 8th to 4th.

After a year that had as many downers as THAT one did....it does have a nice "cleanse the palette" feeling and make ya think next year's gonna be OK after all :thumbsup:

I think we're in dire need for a right handed shot both fw and D in this organization.- so I'm pulling for Hamilton and Strome. You wonder if there just might be a Skinner (Canes) (who was a real crapshoot last year) and Couture (not a guarentee by any stretch) Well as they said in that movie- "Choose wisely"