Huge NHL/NBC deal

ZeroGravityFat

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NBC owns USA Network.. connect the dots.

..it's only a matter of time before the NHL gets their own weekly spot on the channel. I've been saying it for years, and this deal will finally bridge the gap between the two.

We should be on the USA network, I don't know why the NHL doesn't look into this further. MLB's on TBS, NBA's on TNT, it just makes sence. NBC owns USA. The NHL should request an extension to go on their sister station, say at least 12 games a season.

The NHL on USA could be the league's equivalent to what TNT is for the NBA.

NBC has already confirmed the stations new direction, and hope to rebrand themselves into more versatile programs, with less "shows" being broadcasted. They've even changed their trademarked "Characters Welcome" -to- "Viewers Welcome!"

usa-network-logo-white-blue.jpg

Edited by Beezer34

nbc... ha! we'll never see the devs nationally ...

Yep, nother ten years of this...yippee.

I am happy about Versus vs. ESPN however. I know people who were hoping for the sloppy seconds we'd get on ESPN but Versus gives us legitimate coverage, and as soon as they figure out their crap with the providers who don't carry them I'd prefer them to ESPN.

Honestly, I like the deal. Like Beezer suggests, if the NHL and NBC used USA as the primary cable channel for the league and used NBC Sports Channel (or however they choose to rebrand Versus) as a secondary cable channel so more teams can be broadcast nationally, I think this deal will wind up being awesome for the league.

Yep, nother ten years of this...yippee.

I am happy about Versus vs. ESPN however. I know people who were hoping for the sloppy seconds we'd get on ESPN but Versus gives us legitimate coverage, and as soon as they figure out their crap with the providers who don't carry them I'd prefer them to ESPN.

Yup, Id hate it if ESPN regained the rights. Say goodbye to hockey coverage if that happened and hello to barry melrose relating any hockey info to basketball/football.

Edited by devlman

Makes figuring out what games are on for the next 10 years very easy.

NBC's Broadcasting Method:

Choose one of the following:

1. Flyers

2. Rangers

3. Red Wings

4. Blackhawks

Choose one of the following opponents:

1. Capitals

2. Pittsburgh

If all else fails, boardcast Pittsburgh vs Washington and hype Crosby vs Ovy until all viewers go insane.

The NHL was once on USA Network in the 80's. I remember watching a ton of Capitals games as a kid. Makes me really feel old i can remember that...

it looks as though the usa network is already priming themslevs for the nhl. if u go to there officialwebsite the header at the top says television shows, series, movies, characters, and sports. as of an hour ago, sports wasnt there. they just added it

And this just posted yesterday by Pete Dougherty of the Albany Union Times, I'm sure it originated from another media trade link, but here's theirs: http://blog.timesunion.com/sportsmedia/

The NHL on NBC, meanwhile, got a 1.1 for Saturday’s Coyotes-Red Wings on Saturday, down 8 percent from last year’s Bruins-Sabres (1.2), and a 1.3 for Sunday’s Capitals-Rangers, a 13 percent fall from 2010′s Red Wings-Coyotes (1.5).

it looks as though the usa network is already priming themslevs for the nhl. if u go to there officialwebsite the header at the top says television shows, series, movies, characters, and sports. as of an hour ago, sports wasnt there. they just added it

Right in time for the 1:00 press conference.

Right in time for the 1:00 press conference.

..unless the WWE and the Westminster Dog Show constitutes as "sports".. what other sports programs does the USA Network run?

Interesting.

..unless the WWE and the Westminster Dog Show constitutes as "sports".. what other sports programs does the USA Network run?

Interesting.

I would guess those can both be considered sports if you wanted.

USA also grabs some Olympic stuff at times and have had other sports programming in the past too.

Article by Єklund (2.3% accurate) about it.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Єklund/BIG-WIN-FOR-NHL-ComcastNBCVersus-to-Announce-Epic-NHL-TV-Deal/1/35340

So in just 5 years the NHL has gone from ESPN offering to show the game if the NHL paid for it, to a $200 Million TV deal with Comcast/NBC. Pretty impressive and a huge indicator of the game's strength in America. This is a great day for hockey in America.

Interesting.

They show Olympic sports when its time.

It remains to be seen if this is a good deal and how it affects us as fans of the game. I've not been enthusasistic about the Versus partnership since it began, but it definitely is getting better.

In a deal that brings more nationally televised hockey to American fans than ever before, the National Hockey League and the NBC Sports Group have reached agreement on a record 10-year television and media rights deal, taking the partnership through the 2020-21 season.

NBC remains the exclusive network home and Versus the exclusive cable home of the NHL in the United States. It marks the first-ever national distribution of all Stanley Cup Playoffs games, including, for the first time, exclusive coverage starting with the conference semifinals. The agreement also calls for the NBC Sports Group to televise 100 regular season games per year and introduces a national NBC broadcast on Thanksgiving Friday. The announcement was made today by NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman and Dick Ebersol, Chairman, NBC Sports Group.

In the regular season, NBC will continue to broadcast a national "Game of the Week," along with its coverage of the NHL Winter Classic and "Hockey Day in America." Versus will telecast an exclusive national "Game of the Week," plus NHL Premiere Games, NHL Faceoff, the NHL All-Star Game and any future NHL Heritage Classic outdoor games in Canada. NBC and Versus remain the exclusive home of the Stanley Cup Final.

The NBC Sports Group's commitment includes building a new studio for NHL Network at its existing facility in Stamford, Conn.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=560238

Another name change? OLN...Versus...???

"NBC will continue to broadcast a national regular game of the week, as well as the Winter Classic. Versus -- which NBC Sports Group chairman Dick Ebersol hinted will soon be getting a new identity -- will also continue to broadcast a game of the week, as well as the league's annual All-Star Game and any future Heritage Classic outdoor games held in Canada."