Devils May Choose To Take Parise To Arbitration

Quinn01

Parise can become a restricted free agent July 1 and is open to negotiating a multi-year contract. But there have been no negotiations.

If the Devils file for salary arbitration by the July 6 deadline, it would make Parise ineligible to sign an offer sheet from any other NHL team and an arbitrator would determine his salary for the 2011-12 season.

Considering that he played only 13 games and scored six points (three goals, three assists), that would surely work in the team’s favor.

“I’ve talked about that with my agent. We know that’s one of the things they may decide to do. That’s one of their options,” Parise told The Star-Ledger today. “I guess I understand where the team would be coming from, but I wouldn’t be too thrilled about it.”

Parise earned $5 million this season. If he is taken to arbitration, the least he can be awarded is $4.25 million (85 percent of his previous year’s salary).

Lamoriello called re-signing Parise “a priority” but would not disclose if or when negotiations might begin. And, if the two sides do not agree on a new deal?

“There are three options,” Lamoriello said. “Player arbitration, team arbitration or we can match an offer sheet.”

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2011/04/devils_may_choose_to_take_zach.html

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd rather they not play hardball with Zach. Show some good faith and show him he's a big part of our future. I understand from a business sense taking him to arbitration given what happened last year, but if he leaves after next year, what have we gained? Yeah we save money next year, but so what? Then we watch Zach flourish with another team for the next 10 years?

I also feel that taking him to arbitration is just going to piss him off and push him away which I would be very very upset with Lou if that is whats going to happen. Loosing Zach for a stupid reason is not the right way. Zach along with the other youngins that are on the team right now are the future of this team and Lou is very focused on the future of the franchise.

Again, I feel like then only reason they haven't started negotiating yet is because they don't know the cap ceiling next season. If nothing after that is announced then I'd start to worry.

But when will it be official, after the season's over? I'm not sure that's the overlapping concern since by all reports the cap's going up and we have more than enough money coming off it to re-sign Zach next season anyway.

I mean you do have something of a question with the ownership situation still and apparently Lou and Vanderbeek didn't even have their after the season meeting yet (as of the other day), but it would be in bad form to play hardball with Zach after spending so much time and energy on Kovy's contract when he played 27 games here.

They have to take him to arbitration, they can still negotiate while doing that. It's far preferable than the offer sheet/holdout route.

I'm not sure arbitration is preferable to another team offer sheeting Parise.

An offer sheet will be long term and either at reasonable money, and Devils match, or crazy money, Devils take 4 first rounders.

Both those scenarios, for me, are preferable to 1 year of Parise and then he turns UFA.

I think it's too early to worry about anything related to Parise. Any real news probably won't happen till June so the writers are going to have to come up with articles discussing all the various possibilities that can happen since they don't really have a lot to write about right now.

This is a slow news day article. I would be very surprised if Lou takes him to arbitration.

There's no news so Chere speculates at an option that will spark this kind of reaction.

As was stated earlier - Lou hasn't spoken w/ JVB yet and it's quite possible that he needs a go ahead and JVB's desires - and Gilfilan might have to at least be informed. Of JVB wants to offer $60+MM, this guy has to be in the loop.

Anytime i go to a Devil game, or watch the people in the stands on TV, you see a ton of teenage girls wearing a Parise Jersey. Last year i wanted a Retro Devils Jersey and I could have got Parise but this turned me off to it.(unfortuanly i got that langenbrunner one and received it in the mail right after that playoff mess, groan). But Lou should really work on this contract which im sure he is and make it his priority. Lots of future devils fans are at stake. Sure they are annoying teenagers right now but they'll grow up and keep rooting for the devils. IF the devils loose Parise, who are these teenagers going to oogle over? Clarkson? My wife loves Clarkson (probably cause she loved arnott and they look alike) but a interview with his helmet off and his mongo forehead turned her off a little.

Parise is why these girls watch the devils and will continue and then get there future boyfriends, family and such to watch games with them. Loose him and they may end up becoming ranger fans oogling Lundquist cause hes good looking and can play a guitar or something in his band. DO we need that? Speaking of Ranger fans, the youth in there stands are all nerdy male teenagers for the most part.

anyhow no one touched on this subject of Parises marketability. Maybe its a crazy point, maybe its valid adn devil executives and lou are talking about Parise and teenage girls, but loosing him (ecspecially with trying to screw him with arbitration) is a really really bad idea. I have faith that he'll be back though.

This is a slow news day article. I would be very surprised if Lou takes him to arbitration.

There's no news so Chere speculates at an option that will spark this kind of reaction.

this is exactly what i was thinking as soon as i saw the headline.

in all honesty, it's very poor journalism, no news, and speculation.

don't take it to heart.

Damn right Lou, or perhaps Lou's replacement as GM, will file for arbitration!

It's simple, they negotiate until a new deal is reached or the team file deadline. With a new CBA at the end of next year who knows what will be in it! Imagine Zach with a new multi-year extension at at-least $6.6 and then the cap drops... 5 forwards making $26.7 million, that would hurt!!! (Kovi, Zach, Elias, Travis and Zubrus)

Options are simple....

1. Sign him to a long term deal and see what happens with, his knee, and the new CBA!

2. Don't sign him or file for arbitration before the deadline, see what offer sheet(s)he gets/signs AND pray we can match it or settle for picks

3. File for arbitration and keep him for one last run with Marty.

4. File, then trade him for good young players and prospects/picks(equal to an offer sheet)if unable to negotiate a new deal

Anyway it goes down, as long as Lou dosen't allow him to walk for NOTHING Al-la Gomez, Holik, Rafalski, Gionta etc I'll be perfectly happy. If Zach leaves, he and his agent are just as responsible as the Devil's front office, but hey, that's business!!!

Devils Fan For Life, Death To Leaf Nation! :horse:

:gd:

If the Devils elect Arbitration, sign me up for the FIRE LOU bandwagon.

+1000

Not even fire him, but execute him by public stone throwing in Championship Plaza if he does that. Taking Zach to arbitration would be the worst thing he has ever done. It will just leave a bad taste in Zach's mouth and he will want out for sure.

There is no point in making the Kovlachuk investment if you then don't back it up by signing Parise, in fact IMO thats a massive step back.

Sing him up, pay him well, make him captain.

AMEN!

There is no point in making the Kovlachuk investment if you then don't back it up by signing Parise, in fact IMO thats a massive step back.

Sing him up, pay him well, make him captain.

This isn't true.

I can understsand a scenario where we build the team and offense around Kovy and trade Parise for a big package to help.

But if you're going to take Zach to arbitration - trade him at the draft.

This isn't true.

I can understsand a scenario where we build the team and offense around Kovy and trade Parise for a big package to help.

I can't.

But if you're going to take Zach to arbitration - trade him at the draft.

Must we? sundstrom is right, this is a classic slow news day article. and let's not kid each other - you're already on the fire lou bandwagon.