The 2014 NJ Devils Offseason Thread

Derlique

I don't get it, why are Urbom and Tedenby playing overseas next year?   Tedenby baffles me the most considering this guy's been in the organization for quite a while now and still hasn't made the big club.  Either sh!t or get off the pot.

I wish it was that simple lol

I don't get it, why are Urbom and Tedenby playing overseas next year?   Tedenby baffles me the most considering this guy's been in the organization for quite a while now and still hasn't made the big club.  Either sh!t or get off the pot.

Doesn't playing in Europe mean they got off the pot?

Cammaleri - Zajac - Jagr

Henrique - ELias - Brunner

Clowe - Rutuu - Ryder

Zubrus- Josefson - Havlat

Now with Havlat I have no clue

we know that this is almost certainly not the top 12 - i think either gionta comes in and/or ryder or brunner goes out. but i also think you're getting elias AND henrique at center.

we know that this is almost certainly not the top 12 - i think either gionta comes in and/or ryder or brunner goes out. but i also think you're getting elias AND henrique at center.

hoping one of or both ryder and brunner get traded and if its only one i would rather see ryder go first.. both are mystery men out there though

hoping one of or both ryder and brunner get traded and if its only one i would rather see ryder go first.. both are mystery men out there though

At this point it's a mystery TEAM, really.  It's even more of an IF team than it was last season.  This team can be a playoff contender, but a lot of things have to go right.  I always have hope going into a season, especially when you've got a puck-stopper like Cory that should be able to keep the Devils in a lot of games, but plenty can go wrong with this group...starting with what happens if Jagr doesn't put up another 82-game, 67-point season...and continuing with what happens when these aging forwards (and this group doesn't figure to be terribly good offensively again this season to begin with) start missing games.  Back-to-backs could be very rough on this team for sure.  I don't outright hate the Cammalleri signing, but man was that one a risk. 

Right now it just feels like a "If this guy does this and this guy takes a step forward and these guys stay healthy and that guy can do what he did a few years ago..." team.  Maybe it all works out.  I hope so.  But I see potential for some serious downside here.   

I think there is still more coming, but so far so good in New Jersey.  I agree that I'm not sure where Marty Havlat fits, but I'd say you slot him in at 2nd line RW, but he still has to earn his ice-time.  I think both Brunner and Ryder go or they let these guys be kids and see who takes the top spots.  I hate not retaining Fayne, but I don't think it's going to hurt us too badly in the long run.  We just have to hope that these young D are the real deal.    I'd hope to have Carter back as well, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him in a Rangers jersey.  He's probably between New York and NJ at this point.  I see not the most skilled team, but a deep team, especially when you add the possible young forwards like Boucher. 

Am I missing anyone from the forward corps?
Cammi-Zajac-Jagr

Henrique-Elias-Havlat
Ruutu-Josefson-Clowe
Zubrus-Gionta-Bernier

Ex. Ryder, Brunner

Greene-Larsson
Gelinas-Zids
Merril-Sal

Harrold

How about this

Damien Brunner  Patrick Elias  Martin Havlat

Ryane Clowe  Travis Zajac  Jaromir Jagr

Mike Cammalleri Adam Henrique  Michael Ryder

Tuomo Ruutu  Stephen Gionta  Dainius Zubrus

Steve Bernier

How about this

Steve Bernier

Yeah, I am really curious to see the line combos with the amount of top 9 players we seem to have.  Hopefully there is some chemistry right off the bat.

How about this

Steve Bernier

im sure we will get to see some different combinations but im still thinking there is a trade thats going to happen especially if they end up signing carter

Lou was lamenting the fact that we did not have a third line that could score last year, so having plenty of top 9 forwards to fill in for injuries or poor play is needed. Pretty confused as to why having too many top 9 forwards is a problem....

One thing we know from the last few weeks is that Lou and Pete are completely on the same page with what they like and dislike about this team, and what they feel is needed to make the playoffs. I'll expect Lou to ship out Brunner, Ryder or Josefson in the coming weeks.

Josefson was just signed, I find it unlikely he is traded.  It will be Ryder or Brunner for spare parts. 

EDIT: Or an 8th defenseman. 

Edited by RizzMB30

One thing we know from the last few weeks is that Lou and Pete are completely on the same page with what they like and dislike about this team, and what they feel is needed to make the playoffs. I'll expect Lou to ship out Brunner, Ryder or Josefson in the coming weeks.

I wouldn't mind seeing Lou trade Brunner or Ryder, both frustrated me to no end last year. I feel like Ryder would be easier to move since he's had success in the past. I think the writing is on the wall for Josefson. Either they're going to try to trade him or they'll try to slip him through waivers I guess.

Cammalleri-Zajac-Jagr

Henrique-Elias-Havlat

Clowe-Josefson-Brunner

Ruutu-Zubrus-Bernier

Greene-Merril
Gelinas-Larsson
Salvador-Zidlicky

This is the lineup I want. Would have liked to have seen us pick up Mathieu Perreault as a 3C especially since I think he's a relative bargain at $3M per.

I wouldn't mind seeing Lou trade Brunner or Ryder, both frustrated me to no end last year. I feel like Ryder would be easier to move since he's had success in the past. I think the writing is on the wall for Josefson. Either they're going to try to trade him or they'll try to slip him through waivers I guess.

I think Brunner brings something to the table. Ryder to me is so one dimensional. Problem is, I doubt there are any teams hungry for his services.  But it is a big year for him, playing for next years contract. Hopefully he'll (and Brunner as well) be better. 

One thing I love about PDB, he holds you accountable. 

Cammalleri-Zajac-Jagr

Henrique-Elias-Havlat

Clowe-Josefson-Brunner

Ruutu-Zubrus-Bernier

Greene-Merril

Gelinas-Larsson

Salvador-Zidlicky

This is the lineup I want. Would have liked to have seen us pick up Mathieu Perreault as a 3C especially since I think he's a relative bargain at $3M per.

why do people keep putting havlat on the rw? Isn't he a lefty and has played lw his entire career?

Edit: also, you're crazy to think that if Ryder is here he won't be in the lineup. Any lineup without him in it is not happening unless he's traded.

Edited by dmann422

why do people keep putting havlat on the rw? Isn't he a lefty and has played lw his entire career?

Edit: also, you're crazy to think that if Ryder is here he won't be in the lineup. Any lineup without him in it is not happening unless he's traded.

Wiki, NHL and Capgeek all list him as RW. 

Edited by Namelesz

Wiki, NHL and Capgeek all list him as RW.

hmm wiki says lw but nhl does say rw. He is a lefty shooter and we all know how Pete likes his sticks to the boards. I'll be surprised if he plays rw unless Pete wants to force feed both havlat and henrique on Elias's line. Even then it means either Ryder or Brunner on the 4th line and I don't think that's happening.

Oh well I guess it's still way too early for line predictions.

hmm wiki says lw but nhl does say rw. He is a lefty shooter and we all know how Pete likes his sticks to the boards. I'll be surprised if he plays rw unless Pete wants to force feed both havlat and henrique on Elias's line. Even then it means either Ryder or Brunner on the 4th line and I don't think that's happening.

Oh well I guess it's still way too early for line predictions.

He's mostly been an RW in his career, even in Ottawa where they were relatively weak down the left side.  He can play LW but the Devils have more LWs than RWs and I suspect he'll be used as an RW.

He's mostly been an RW in his career, even in Ottawa where they were relatively weak down the left side. He can play LW but the Devils have more LWs than RWs and I suspect he'll be used as an RW.

hmmm true, as it stands now don't you think henrique is still at center? If so that leaves us with cammalleri, clowe and ruutu at left wing.I would think Pete will try some different combos in camp and preseason, there are some flex guys like zubrus and havlat who can move around.

Well, that's something - I didn't realize Jacob Josefson was eligible for arbitration.  They might Mark Fraser him into going to arbitration, and buy out either Zubrus or Ryder during the 2nd buyout period.  Brunner is not eligible to be bought out during the 2nd buyout period.  It seems unlikely - NJ has cap room at the moment - but something to keep in mind.

How much do you think Sunny Mehta & his stats had to do with any of the signings if at all? 

Not sure really, we know Cammalleri's been on Lou's radar for at least 5 months, and Havlat may have just been a Lou/Elias intuition signing. 

Maybe he'll be involved in picking who gets traded now and maybe for which prospects in return? Who knows..