The 2014 NJ Devils Offseason Thread

Derlique

Well, that's something - I didn't realize Jacob Josefson was eligible for arbitration.  They might Mark Fraser him into going to arbitration, and buy out either Zubrus or Ryder during the 2nd buyout period.  Brunner is not eligible to be bought out during the 2nd buyout period.  It seems unlikely - NJ has cap room at the moment - but something to keep in mind.

i would be aggravated with a ryder buyout - i cannot believe there isn't some team that wouldn't give up a 3rd rounder for him.

Well, that's something - I didn't realize Jacob Josefson was eligible for arbitration.  They might Mark Fraser him into going to arbitration, and buy out either Zubrus or Ryder during the 2nd buyout period.  Brunner is not eligible to be bought out during the 2nd buyout period.  It seems unlikely - NJ has cap room at the moment - but something to keep in mind.

No way Zubrus gets bought out. If Lou felt comfortable giving him a 3-year deal last off-season, he probably doesn't realize how much his game slipped this past season. With Lou and Pete are praising Gionta for doing a bit of everything, well then they have to love Zubrus because he can do a bit everything as well...and a lot better than Gionta.

Players like Zubrus only get bought out after it's clear how awful they are. If you are a coaches favourite, they never really see the initial slippage. The buyout *might* happen next season.

I'm with Sundstrom that I can't see Ryder getting bought out. Someone should want to take a flyer on him. Devils might have to take back some salary though.

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/devils_getting_closer_to_extension_with_schneider_lamoriello_hopes_its_done_in_very_near_future/

Lou says he hopes to lock in Schneider in the "very near future." Also plans to reach out to Green about an extension this summer

great news.. although im hoping cory doesnt get more then like 5 years no need to over do it when it can always be extended and i want to see green as the next cap.

I know with roughly 14 forwards and 7D penciled into opening night, NJ is A-OK to start the year.  But knowing who those forwards are, what is the official consensus around here as to if NJ will make a trade?  They do seem to have 5 lines that can play minutes presently, so it might make some sense to move some bodies around.  Or it may not (let competition drive the play).  I'm gonna say Ryder+Josefson to UFA-loser Team X for a Round 2 pick.

I know with roughly 14 forwards and 7D penciled into opening night, NJ is A-OK to start the year.  But knowing who those forwards are, what is the official consensus around here as to if NJ will make a trade?  They do seem to have 5 lines that can play minutes presently, so it might make some sense to move some bodies around.  Or it may not (let competition drive the play).  I'm gonna say Ryder+Josefson to UFA-loser Team X for a Round 2 pick.

I might try to get an extra pick if we're sending JJ out too, a late round pick, but a pick nonetheless. I think Ryder should bring back a 3rd at least and maybe a even 2nd on his own if you get a team who thinks he can come in and score 25 goals.

Ignore it then! :rolleyes:

You are not informing anyone, and you are not helping the board.  If you ask 'Hey, what's a fair number for Schneider?  I think this number at these years' that's a good contribution to the board.  If you bring some Twitter little fake artist's made-up nonsense, you're not helping, because that is based on absolutely no facts, but some people will think it is.

Lol on a holiday weekend where news around the league is nonexistent and the market is dead, somehow this guy is spitting out breaking news and rumors. He must really have the inside track.

Well his handle DOES say insider. This guy must be hiding in a drawer in Lous office.

Thanks for posting that so I could laugh at all those tweets. Some actually have quite a few retweets. This guy had a normal twitter handle a few weeks ago, but in the last few days decided to become an NHL Insider. Before July 2nd or so, he never tweeted anything that remotely said he had news or sources,...or he deleted all his BS stuff. He was simply a fan of the Devils. That's how they all work. Just for the rush of people following them and getting retweets.

Seriously, anyone who follows these accounts. Stop.

He has a bug in Lou's Steinbrunner bat. LMAO  

It's sad because as a fan, you could take part in a discussion board such as this instead of just posting fake rumors all the time.  Take part in an intelligent discussion instead of just screaming to the world wide web.

Edited by RizzMB30

50/50 it's a fake insider, but here goes.   Jives with what TG wrote, and it would be bizarre to make up stuff about an Andy Greene extension, but perhaps that's the genius of it.   I also looked at his other tweets, and he hasn't claimed inside knowledge before. 

Just spoke to a source close to Andy Greene: Expect him to re-sign in NJ before the start of the season. Likely in a few weeks.

He followed it up with this:

Alex Rosen @AlexRosenPOTP 21h

@jniiiice @BackhandedDevil No, it was a friend of Greene's.

If true, that's great news. It would be great to have both Schneider and Greene locked up heading into the season.

Not saying it's a bad thing, but did anyone here think they'd ever see the day that they'd be thrilled about a guy like Greene getting locked up to a pretty nice-sized contract? 

And this is not knocking Greene, but praising him...he's done a hell of a job in becoming a guy we appreciate, as opposed to overlook. 

If Lou is going out of his way saying he is very comfortable to say that he expects it to be done soon, I expect it sometime early next week.

I've read Lou quotes saying that he'd love to keep a guy, only to see that player walk away.  I'm not knocking Lou for losing players...it happens, and the fans who tend to do it the most usually ignore the guys he kept.  But I'm definitely in the "let me see it happen" camp before I start feeling too good about Schneider sticking around...it wouldn't surprise me that much to read something along the lines of "We've stopped talking for now, but we'll revisit this either during or after the season."  And as long as MAF isn't re-upped in Pittsburgh, I'll still wonder about a possible Schneider going there and him coming here scenario after during the 2015 FA period.  Hopefully that NEVER comes to pass. 

Not saying it's a bad thing, but did anyone here think they'd ever see the day that they'd be thrilled about a guy like Greene getting locked up to a pretty nice-sized contract? 

And this is not knocking Greene, but praising him...he's done a hell of a job in becoming a guy we appreciate, as opposed to overlook. 

I've read Lou quotes saying that he'd love to keep a guy, only to see that player walk away.  I'm not knocking Lou for losing players...it happens, and the fans who tend to do it the most usually ignore the guys he kept.  But I'm definitely in the "let me see it happen" camp before I start feeling too good about Schneider sticking around...it wouldn't surprise me that much to read something along the lines of "We've stopped talking for now, but we'll revisit this either during or after the season."  And as long as MAF isn't re-upped in Pittsburgh, I'll still wonder about a possible Schneider going there and him coming here scenario after during the 2015 FA period.  Hopefully that NEVER comes to pass. 

I used to really be a Greene hater when he first came aboard and I've said this a thousand times, but he absolutely won me over with his play. A true Devil and a great leader on the ice. Eats big, tough minutes and seems to only get better every year. Hoping he can build on the year he had last year and put up nice offensive numbers again. Getting decent offense from our D again this year will be big in helping us make the playoffs.