Kovalchuk removed from SKA after 1 Playoff Game

RSC

11 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Take this with a grain of salt but my brother showed me a rumor posting on the Devils Facebook page. Apparently a limo driver for EWR and season ticket holder picked up Kovy from the airport and drove him to the arena, when pressed for questions, he would only smirk and say "we'll see what happens"

This was posted two days before the SKA playoffs

I need a Mountain of salt. ^_^

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Take this with a grain of salt but my brother showed me a rumor posting on the Devils Facebook page. Apparently a limo driver for EWR and season ticket holder picked up Kovy from the airport and drove him to the arena, when pressed for questions, he would only smirk and say "we'll see what happens"

This was posted two days before the SKA playoffs

Well.. to be eligible to play this season he would've had to officially join the roster today, correct?

Kovy stated that he has been in contact with at least one NHL GM about a return to the NHL.

However...

http://fireandice.northjersey.com/fire-ice-1.174987/kovalchuk-has-given-devils-no-indication-he-intends-to-return-cammalleri-and-elias-still-in-limbo-1.1520105

Devils GM Ray Shero seemed to have little interest in talking today about the idea of Ilya Kovalchuk returning to the NHL. That's probably because, at this point, Kovalchuk has given no indication to the Devils or the NHL that he intends to return.

Shero said neither Kovalchuk nor anyone representing him has contacted him or the Devils in any way.

“No, I have not heard anything,” Shero said. “I've just been following it in the papers like everybody else. I wasn't here when he left or (know) exactly what happened. I was reading about it back then. I haven't heard anything at this point, so we'll see what happens.”

So either it's not us at all that Kovy wants to return to or he was completely lying about talking to a GM. Or Shero's lying.

Edited by Jerzey

17 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Could be talking to Lou.

Honestly not having Kovy would be the best thing for us.  I don't hate Kovy or anything (even though he screwed us), it's just a been there, done that feeling with him.

That's the way I generally feel until the next game when I watch how terrible the offense is. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

What would be the feelings if he went to the Rangers?

If we traded his rights for that Pavel Buchenvich kid and a first, I'd be fine with it.  However, realistically speaking, I can't see either team wanting to make a trade with each other under any circumstances. 

11 minutes ago, Daniel said:

That's the way I generally feel until the next game when I watch how terrible the offense is. 

Eh yeah it sucks, but I am willing to wait it out instead of hanging our hopes on Kovy and his bad back and his ummmm "attitude."

Just time to move on.  Lou used to get destroyed for trading or signing has-been Devils.  Let's not fall back into this pattern.

I would not immediately dismiss the notion of Kovy returning to the Devils if it were under the right conditions.  Remember, we have a new management team here and so things could be started off on a clean slate with Kovy.

I think having spent the last three seasons in the KHL, and watching the dominance of Alex Ovechkin has put a fire under Kovy's ass to try to do something "long-lasting" in his career to help salvage a bit of his reputation.  Don't be fooled that Kovy probably has seen what Jagr is doing in Florida, and how Jagr at one point played in the KHL and returned to the NHL and is still producing.  Maybe Kovy's thinking, "Hey, I can do the same..."

On top of that, we all know that Russia isn't all flowers and honey.  They usually promise one salary, and pay another.  There is an underground system of contracts there that strong arm players into doing what they want - take it or leave it.  It usually starts with the promise of a "fantastic career with loads of tax free money," but then usually ends up with trimmed down payments that dwindle into delayed payments that eventually evaporate into no payments of salaries.

I'm sure Kovy is fed up with that and is re-thinking his choice.  Besides, I'm not of the impression that Kovy bolted on the Devils and the NHL on his own accord.  We may never know the true facts behind the sudden retirement of Kovy from the NHL.

So, back to the Devils and Kovy.  I think Shero would be stupid not to entertain the possibility of having him return.  He is a bonafide sniper.  He is a fantastic skater, has a great shot, and has a presence that gets opposing defenders to think twice.  The Devils have lacked that since he's left.

I'm sure Shero has done his research and has spoken to his contacts overseas.  Remember, he probably has a close link to Evgeny Malkin and Malkin's "people," and has asked around "what's the story with Kovy..."

Many of you may argue that Kovy's lost his luster in three years?  Hmmm...perhaps.  That could be the case.  Age and a change of environment can do that to anyone.  Not to mention, the KHL isn't exactly a great league and winning the Gregarin Cup isn't all that exhilarating for career hockey guys.  

However, I still think with the right conditioning and the right attitude, Kovy is dangerous than most players on our roster and in the league.  Maybe he comes back to camp pumped up wanting to make a difference?  Maybe wanting to actually compete for a Stanley Cup?

If Kovy can be gotten for a 3 year, 4 to 6 million per contract, I wouldn't think that's a bad thing  He would immediately bolster our lineup, and probably work well with a young and budding center like Pavel Zacha or with Adam Henrique.  On top of that, he would not have costed us any draft picks or assets in acquiring.  If for some reason he doesn't work out, his contract term would be short enough where another team may be willing to take a flyer on him.

I'm sure Shero is dotting his I's and crossing his T's with this, and if the deal makes sense, why not.  Do it.  

Kovi and the Devils' biggest challenge would be the "negative PR" that would come about "Benedict Arnold" returning to the NHL.  A little kissing and hugging wouldn't kill Kovy in this area, and by playing lights out night-in, night-out, people will quickly forget that Kovy had left for the KHL...trust me on that one.

3 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Am I missing something? Don't we own Kovalchuk's rights? For him to go anywhere, wouldn't we need to give the okay (and get compensated for it)? 

All that has been said by league officials is that the Devils have "preferential rights" if he returns before age 35.  That could mean that the Devils would have his rights outright and can get value for them, or it could mean that the Devils could unilaterally block him from returning to the league, and using that to get compensation more indirectly. 

Whatever the case, the by-laws are open to interpretation, and Bettman has the final say in how they're interpreted, so I imagine there will be some improvisation when/if it ultimately comes to pass.

Also, you'll notice that TG said that there is some speculation that this might not have anything to do with Kovalchuk's attitude performance as much as it is that economic conditions in Russia are worsening and that the team wanted some kind of pretext to get out of paying him the rest of his deal.  I guess if it turns out that's what's really going on, it might make me more receptive to his returning here.  As I said though, I'll probably be willing to pay him out of my own pocket after watching the Devils ineptly trying to carry the puck into the offensive zone in tonight's game. 

28 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Also, you'll notice that TG said that there is some speculation that this might not have anything to do with Kovalchuk's attitude performance as much as it is that economic conditions in Russia are worsening and that the team wanted some kind of pretext to get out of paying him the rest of his deal.  I guess if it turns out that's what's really going on, it might make me more receptive to his returning here.  As I said though, I'll probably be willing to pay him out of my own pocket after watching the Devils ineptly trying to carry the puck into the offensive zone in tonight's game. 

With falling gas prices and the sh!t storm over Russia invading Ukraine and the sanctions that caused its hard not to see the Russian oligarchy not having as much stupid rich money to spend on stupid sh!t like a 10 million dollar hockey player. I mean they're still stupid rich but the mega rich are a paranoid bunch who like to hide money when sh!t goes down and in Russia sh!t is going down.

Kovalchuk is an asset and can be turned into a future asset if he's allowed back into the league and under our rights. You can't just throw that away because of the past.

12 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Am I missing something? Don't we own Kovalchuk's rights? For him to go anywhere, wouldn't we need to give the okay (and get compensated for it)? 

Yes, you are correct (til he turns 35).

2 hours ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

What would be the feelings if he went to the Rangers?

I would LOVE to see him in a Rangers jersey. Because the only way that happens is that we fleeced them on a trade for his rights. And that means another aging "big-name" (in quotes) downgraded star is on their team, and that would likely signal the beginning of a new early-2000s/Dark Ages-like era for them.

When he left I was pissed, but a lot of posts here and on TGs blog talking about what a bad guy Kovalchuk is. Remember the swarm it up shirts? The 'this is team' stuff? By most accounts he seemed like a solid locker room guy. I don't buy all the 'locker room cancer' stuff. 

Im not saying he should be brought back for sure, but I do know that many of my best Devils memories and moments in the last 5 years involved him. Nobody was more exciting. I haven't jumped off my couch in excitement since those days. Plus I spent $300 or whatever on an authentic jersey when he signed the big deal. 

2 minutes ago, Blown01NJ said:

When he left I was pissed, but a lot of posts here and on TGs blog talking about what a bad guy Kovalchuk is. Remember the swarm it up shirts? The 'this is team' stuff? By most accounts he seemed like a solid locker room guy. I don't buy all the 'locker room cancer' stuff. 

Im not saying he should be brought back for sure, but I do know that many of my best Devils memories and moments in the last 5 years involved him. Nobody was more exciting. I haven't jumped off my couch in excitement since those days. Plus I spent $300 or whatever on an authentic jersey when he signed the big deal. 

im with you here. Buddy was a good team player, he fought for us and all. Everyone was high on him.... until he left... same happened with Zach. He was a cadillac player... until he left... 

4 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

im with you here. Buddy was a good team player, he fought for us and all. Everyone was high on him.... until he left... same happened with Zach. He was a cadillac player... until he left... 

Good lord, could you leave any more details out, or just flat-out get them wrong? 

No one was opposed to them staying, they were opposed to the terms of their contracts more than anything else, especially the length of each one...for obvious reasons, I think if there was a way to choose, most Devils fans would've preferred Zach get the big money under the old CBA; that being said, there were legit concerns as to how he would hold up physically as he aged...which turned out to be a legit concern as he has missed a fair number of games in each of the past three years (15, 8, and 11 so far this season.  He was an Iron Man for the Devils with the exception of 2010-11). 

"Buddy" really fought hard for the Devils when he had to be dragged back from Russia and subsequently "retired" just to get out of having play for them any longer, a whopping three seasons into a 15-year contract.  The only thing Kovy seems to fight for these days is to get out of contracts when he doesn't feel like playing under them anymore.   

Not everyone was "high" on Kovy (his first full season with the Devils was tough to watch, especially the first half, though he clearly showed flashes of what we were hoping to see in the second half of that season).  Many Devils fans did very much like the player he became in 2012 and his desire to try to improve his overall game, as has been chronicled and detailed many times, but when he no longer wanted to be here, that player was pretty much dead.  We're now coming up on three seasons since he's left, and in those three seasons he's been a pretty good player in a secondary league he should be absolutely tearing up...were we supposed to remain "high" on him all this time since he left?   

5 hours ago, Blown01NJ said:

I don't necessarily think that he was a cancer in the room, but he LIED to all of us by signing on the dotted line and then "retiring" a year or two later, he lied to the fans, he lied to management, and he lied to his teammates.  Now that U.S. sanctions are really fvcking Russia up and it's looking like he's not going to get paid, these rumors start.  It's highly coincidental, you have to at least admit.

I highly doubt we'll see the same Kovalchuk.  

Kovy-lovers:  Please explain why Kovalchuk is so exciting when he's not exactly tearing up an inferior league AND on a bigger/wider sheet of ice.  Please explain why he has to have 1st line minutes AND playing double shifts on the powerplay in order to score even as much as he did.  I'm not doubting Kovalchuk's skills which are high end, I'm doubting his effectiveness when playing in a team setting (ala Maxim Afinogenov).  The numbers don't lie, people will.  Please tell me "he has heart" or something so I can laugh at you.  

I don't understand the nostalgia for Kovalchuk.  You guys on here sometimes talk about him like he was here for a long as Marty.  He lied to you, he lied to me, and he hurt the team with his departure, no doubt, but he still HURT the team.  "This is team"??? More like, "This is bullsh!t".

7 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

Kovy-lovers:  Please explain why Kovalchuk is so exciting when he's not exactly tearing up an inferior league AND on a bigger/wider sheet of ice.  Please explain why he has to have 1st line minutes AND playing double shifts on the powerplay in order to score even as much as he did.  I'm not doubting Kovalchuk's skills which are high end, I'm doubting his effectiveness when playing in a team setting (ala Maxim Afinogenov).  The numbers don't lie, people will.  Please tell me "he has heart" or something so I can laugh at you.  

I'm far from a Kovy lover, but the reason I'd give him another shot is simple. Who else do we have? Who would get be taking minutes away from? Our offense is in the toilet, we gave probably 4 forwards that wouldn't make any other team in the league. If he's got half if west he had when he left, he'd be the best player on the ice. 

And yes, thats a big if. But what else are we doing? Give him a look. 

Edited by mfitz804

14 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

I don't necessarily think that he was a cancer in the room, but he LIED to all of us by signing on the dotted line and then "retiring" a year or two later, he lied to the fans, he lied to management, and he lied to his teammates.  Now that U.S. sanctions are really fvcking Russia up and it's looking like he's not going to get paid, these rumors start.  It's highly coincidental, you have to at least admit.

I highly doubt we'll see the same Kovalchuk.  

I don't understand the nostalgia for Kovalchuk.  You guys on here sometimes talk about him like he was here for a long as Marty.  He lied to you, he lied to me, and he hurt the team with his departure, no doubt, but he still HURT the team.  "This is team"??? More like, "This is bullsh!t".

Lulz?

He lied to us? Grow up. Hes a human with human issues. You think he signed the contract with the plan to break it? How exactly did he lie? He left to go home and to make more money after being wooed by the KHL while our a$$hole league was locked out.

"waaa he lied"

Stupid.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

I'm far from a Kovy lover, but the reason I'd give him another shot is simple. Who else do we have? Who would get be taking minutes away from? Our offense is in the toilet, we gave probably 4 forwards that wouldn't make any other team in the league. If he's got half if west he had when he left, he'd be the best player on the ice. 

And yes, thats a big if. But what else are we doing? Give him a look. 

So your solution is to take away ice-time from possible young stars who are giving their best effort to earn a place to give it to a guy who can no longer be considered the same player he was?  You're right, we don't have much, but as many other have stated previously, we're currently re-building our forward corps and if you think a half-Kovy is going to magically "poof" us into the playoffs, I don't think that will happen.  We need to give our young forwards the ice-time in order to determine whether or not that have a future here.  Do Boucher, Blandisi, Kalinin have a real future here in a top 6 role?  We don't know that yet and it's still early for 2 of those 3. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

So your solution is to take away ice-time from possible young stars who are giving their best effort to earn a place to give it to a guy who can no longer be considered the same player he was?  You're right, we don't have much, but as many other have stated previously, we're currently re-building our forward corps and if you think a half-Kovy is going to magically "poof" us into the playoffs, I don't think that will happen.  We need to give our young forwards the ice-time in order to determine whether or not that have a future here.  Do Boucher, Blandisi, Kalinin have a real future here in a top 6 role?  We don't know that yet and it's still early for 2 of those 3. 

No but he could have the spot of Tootoo, Farnham, or Gionta. Not saying you'd play him on the 4th line but there's plenty of guys to slide down. 

1 minute ago, Blown01NJ said:

Lulz?

He lied to us? Grow up. Hes a human with human issues. You think he signed the contract with the plan to break it? How exactly did he lie? He left to go home and to make more money after being wooed by the KHL while our a$$hole league was locked out.

"waaa he lied"

Stupid.

It doesn't matter what his plans were.  He signed a deal for 15 years!  I'd hate to deal with you in a business setting if you think that a contract can be ripped up whenever you so chose.  

He signed a 15 year deal, prompting fans to go out and buy Kovalchuk jerseys and apparel who were under the assumption he would be here a long time.  Are you saying these fans weren't lied to?  

I never once said he planned to break it.  You're putting words in my mouth.  It doesn't matter if he planed to or not.  He broke it and he's a quitter.

He's a human?  According to you he can do no wrong.  Name one other NHL player that did what he did.  Don't worry I'll wait.  

Let me rephrase it, and just try to answer with a yes or no answer.  Are Kovalchuk's actions considered honorable to you?  

If yes, you have weird sense of honor.  If no, then he lied.