2016 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

MadDog2020

29 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

All in for this Sharks team. I love this Blues team as well, but I think they have a few more years to win a Cup and be Western Conference favorites. Thornton, Marleau, Ward, Martin, and Zubrus are all 35+. The stars have all aligned this postseason and they've exorcized all their demons. I'm not sure how many more chances *this* core will get to win it all, and I think this year is it. St. Louis will get back here the next few years, Sharks may not.

The only time the stars aligned was for the handshakes after they blew game 7 :P

• Like 7

If you think DeBoer is a lousy coach, safe to say you don't really get it... He's a fine coach if you have a veteran team like we did in 2012 or like SJ does now. Obviously if you're a young team that isn't ready to win, Pete isn't your guy.

Couldn't agree with this more.  Pulling for the Shark and Zubrusaurus to win it all. 

Me too. Would love to see DJ Zubes get his name on the the Cup.

On 5/12/2016 at 9:41 AM, DevsMan84 said:

I really don't buy the "playing them so many times" point of view for this.  It has mostly been one team dominating over the other (with us usually getting the upper hand until only recently) and this is going back over the past 15 years.  There hasn't been close games, games filled with fights between players, or any sort of long-term animosity.

This whole Islander "rivalry" is just our fans being whiny about their fans being boisterous and obnoxious since their team is now doing well.

Well I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't care if their fans are boisterous or obnoxious.  I don't live in the area so I don't know if that's true or not, but it probably wouldn't be a huge reason for me anyway.  When I think of rivals I think of it from the team's perspective, not really me or anyone else as a fan at all.  It doesn't matter about us.  It's about them.  And to me, having to play them 10 teams, even if there aren't major moments, fights, etc, still means more than just playing the other teams a lot less often.  Just my 2 cents.

1 hour ago, BlueSkirt said:

I think the Blues will best these Veteran-Sharks, and mostly because of Elliott.

Blues have played much better teams and I think will win in 6, maybe even 5.

Couture/Burns have been white-hot and IMO are due to cool off...

I agree.  The Sharks haven't been this deep in the playoffs in a while, maybe ever, and I just don't think they've played the same caliber teams.  I also think they'll win in 6, but wouldn't be surprised to see them win in 5 either.

56 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I agree.  The Sharks haven't been this deep in the playoffs in a while, maybe ever, and I just don't think they've played the same caliber teams.  I also think they'll win in 6, but wouldn't be surprised to see them win in 5 either.

It's the Sharks' 3rd time to the conference final in the past 7 seasons. 

Edited by Marshall

6 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Distance doesn't really matter.  Colorado and Detroit were/are rivals and they play about a thousand miles away from each other.

The Devils and Islanders are not rivals.  It's just some of the fans are. 

Distance is the prime ingredient in rivalries. Yes, as so insightfully pointed out, rivalries can be created due to other primary factors, but as you also mentioned yourself, Detroit and Colorado were rivals. Once both teams weren't perennial western conference powerhouses, it fizzled, because beyond meeting in meaningful games for a decade, nothing else made them rivals. The teams play on opposite sides of the country.

By your logic, the Devils and Flyers aren't rivals, just some of the fans are. Just because proximity doesn't mean anything to you doesn't mean it's a meaningless factor in rivalries. The Devils and islanders will always be rivals, whether it's intense at a given moment is a different argument. If "some of the fans" consider it a rivalry, Bingo. You have yourself a rivalry.

22 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

Distance is the prime ingredient in rivalries. Yes, as so insightfully pointed out, rivalries can be created due to other primary factors, but as you also mentioned yourself, Detroit and Colorado were rivals. Once both teams weren't perennial western conference powerhouses, it fizzled, because beyond meeting in meaningful games for a decade, nothing else made them rivals. The teams play on opposite sides of the country.

By your logic, the Devils and Flyers aren't rivals, just some of the fans are. Just because proximity doesn't mean anything to you doesn't mean it's a meaningless factor in rivalries. The Devils and islanders will always be rivals, whether it's intense at a given moment is a different argument. If "some of the fans" consider it a rivalry, Bingo. You have yourself a rivalry.

To compare the Devils/Flyers rivalry to whatever little Devils/Islanders have is silly.  I really do not know where to begin how vastly different they are.  Just because teams play each other a lot doesn't mean a rivalry is forced out of it.

When the Devils/Islanders play each other, neither were both powerhouses at the same time.  It's either one team or the other.  I doubt even a fraction of Islanders fans even call the Devils rival.  This is a unilateral rivalry that a few Devils fans conjured up because they can't stand the Devils not doing well and a nearby team, whom after being a sad sack franchise for years, are now good and their fans are being obnoxious about it. 

6 minutes ago, Zubie#8 said:

Vasilevsky is a highly touted young goalie. He can easily put up a good streak. Don't count them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup.  He was #1 in the world at one point. Not saying it'll be easy,  but he's capable.  

2 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Sucks to see Bishop get hurt, they said x-rays were negative so maybe he just tore something instead of broke it? 

Gusty win by Tampa though. 

It looked like a knee injury to me and when it comes to knee injuries tearing something  is much worse than breaking something.

On 05/13/2016 at 3:54 PM, DevsMan84 said:

To compare the Devils/Flyers rivalry to whatever little Devils/Islanders have is silly.  I really do not know where to begin how vastly different they are.  Just because teams play each other a lot doesn't mean a rivalry is forced out of it.

When the Devils/Islanders play each other, neither were both powerhouses at the same time.  It's either one team or the other.  I doubt even a fraction of Islanders fans even call the Devils rival.  This is a unilateral rivalry that a few Devils fans conjured up because they can't stand the Devils not doing well and a nearby team, whom after being a sad sack franchise for years, are now good and their fans are being obnoxious about it. 

I'm not saying Devils/islanders is on the same level as Devils/flyers, the point was that if you can discount a rivalry because the only element is that the fans don't like each other, then the Devils and Flyers aren't rivals. There hasn't been any real animosity on the ice between the Devils and Flyers in years. The last two playoff series between the teams were swift and painless. The Devils and Flyers rivalry operates on the same foundation, albeit on a different level, as the Devils-islanders relationship you outlined. If the Devils and islanders aren't rivals based on what you're saying, then neither are the Devils and Flyers.

Teams don't need to be good at the same time to develop a rivalry. Has anyone here hated the rangers any less since our fall from relevancy? No. When fan bases rub shoulders, there's going to be animosity. Cubs and Sox fans hate each other, and did they play once before 97? They were sad sack teams for a century and never shared a field until 96 years after both teams had been in existence, and they don't like each other. There are plenty of real Yankees and Mets fans here, why don't you guys like the other one? It's certainly not because of a long history of meaningful baseball. The Devils and Isles could never play each other, and there would be some form of rivalry simply because one team plays in Jersey and the other plays in New York. I'm not saying I lust for the blood of the isles, but to say they're not our rivals is to say we're as indifferent to them and their fans as we are towards St. Louis or Vancouver. Whether you care about them or not, you know at large that isn't the case.

If the Islanders ever get serious and win, then you'll have a rivalry. And you will learn to hate them due to their fans. Similar to how you hate the Rangers. The Islanders and Devils just don't have much history. If they met in the playoffs, it would be a different story.

Anyone still watching the postseason? The Conference Final from hell for most Ranger fans. Not myself. But yeah. I am going for the Bolts because I can't stomach the Pens. They are a true rival. As much as I love Hagelin, I don't want to see the Pens win another Cup. Even if I'd be happy for Hags, I hate that team with a passion. I decided to write about our former Blueshirts in that series. One which is hard for most to watch. 

Former Black and Blueshirts still haunt some fans

I'm going for the Sharks. I'd really like to see them win. I love Thornton and always have been a Marleau fan. They got a nice team. Couture and Pavelski scoring big goals. Burns on that back end. Jones in net. Good vets they added like Ward, Martin and Polak. They're a fun team to watch. Tremendous forecheck. Kids like Donskoi and Tierney, who DeBoer hasn't been afraid to use. Maybe he learned something. One of my friends is a huge Sharks fan. So, it's easy for me to pull for them.

I think that shapes up to be a great series. The Blues are also deep. Physical. Tough. Tarasenko supremely skilled. Backes having a great postseason in a contract year. Buyer beware. Pietrangelo probably the most under appreciated top defenseman. Shattenkirk. Elliott having a hell of a run in net. Guys like Steen, Stastny and Schwartz. It should be a 6-7 game series. Too bad it doesn't start till tomorrow night.

Although I don't have a horse in the race, i'm pulling for a team that never competed in SC finals. I'm not sure if the loss of Bishop will cost Bolts. 

I think Coop could be the best coach in the game at this time. His team is always prepared. These playoffs are fantastic!

On 5/13/2016 at 3:54 PM, DevsMan84 said:

Agreed. This isn't scientific, but I'd bet there are more fans that hate the Carolina Hurricanes still more than the New York Islanders.

Agreed. This isn't scientific, but I'd bet there are more fans that hate the Carolina Hurricanes still more than the New York Islanders.

Yep... I'm one of them too. I hate Carolina a sh!tload more than I do the Islanders.

So yeah, last night's game...

a) Elliot played out of his mind, and yet b) even so, only the crossbar saved this from being a San Jose win.

San Jose looked too strong and too structured and determined for me to think they'll lose this series, despite losing the game. St. Louis really got lucky last night.