Josefson, Sestito, Corrente called up

Amberite

So being as this is only my 2nd week of being a Devils fan (previously did not follow much NHL but love the sport and was converted by my roomate). Can someone give me a little insight into these AHL call ups? Sorry for the lack of knowledge. But I'm trying to go all-in with this team. Thanks for your time.

AHL is a minor league much like baseball has minor leagues. We have an affiliate in the AHL where our draft picks play, players recovering from injusries might get some minutes, where we can hide cap space, waive players, etc. The players being called up were all on the Devils roster at one point in time during the preseason and some were even on the roster last season. Some on this board are high on guys like Tedenby and Josefson, others are high on guys like Zharkov, many like them all. We're calling up some of these guys because Rolston is out therefore we can exceed the cap by the amount of Rolston's annual salary(5M). This fills out our roster and gives some of our young new talent a shot with the big club.

So being as this is only my 2nd week of being a Devils fan (previously did not follow much NHL but love the sport and was converted by my roomate). Can someone give me a little insight into these AHL call ups? Sorry for the lack of knowledge. But I'm trying to go all-in with this team. Thanks for your time.

-Josefson was our first round pick in 2009 and is one of our most promising prospects. He played the last few seasons in the swedish elite league which is generally considered the highest level of play outside of the NHL. He appears to be of the Zajac type of mold where he is a great passer who is very responsible at both ends which could really sets him apart in the top tier centerman catagory if he can reach his potential. This being his first trip across the pond it could easily be argued that he should just stay in the AHL and get used to the north american game and he can join the team next year, but he has enough hockey smarts to jump straight up (IMO) if he can prove he can handle the pressure of NHL play during this callup.

-Corrente was our first round pick in 2007 and has had some anger issues throughout the minors that held him back, I think, from joining the team earlier, but he seems to have worked those out but has kept the toughness in his game. Corrente has been one of the top performers in training camp and preseason games that he has been apart of since he got here and has seemed to be, as Lou put it, "a victim of the numbers" ever year. This kid most likely will stay up with us if we can make some cap room once the LTIR players come back because the blend of his hitting, willingness to drop the gloves, and his mobility in the transition game, and the fact that, among our rookie defenseman, he has seen the most time with the big club (even if most of it was as a forward) all help his cause.

Sestito- The Tostito has been up with the Devils a few times before and while not being spectacular, he was very affective with his minutes. He hit people despite his size, he works hard on every forecheck, and backchecks harder than almost anyone else on the ice. In this organization that means a lot and IMO he could be a fourth line center for us at some point because he can do everything pretty well, isn't a liability defensively and he doesn't mind being put in whatever role the coaches give him (ie. scoring, checking, hitting, grinding) and that makes him a very versitile option though the chances of him staying with us this year are slim to none once this LTIR situation is resolved.

Potentials (comparable):

Josefson - 1st or 2nd line center (Zajac)

Corrente - 3rd or 4th defenseman who hits and moves the puck well (I can't really think of a comparable player because most puck movers aren't also hitters and fighters which is what makes Corrente such a tantalizing prospect)

Sestito - 4th line center (there is a ton of comparables so I'll just say he would be a versitile, young, quick, and responsible option that we could use on the 4th line at some point)

Welcome to the Devils!!! :cheers:

Get used to the koolaid :koolaid::koolaid::koolaid:

AHL is a minor league much like baseball has minor leagues. We have an affiliate in the AHL where our draft picks play, players recovering from injusries might get some minutes, where we can hide cap space, waive players, etc. The players being called up were all on the Devils roster at one point in time during the preseason and some were even on the roster last season. Some on this board are high on guys like Tedenby and Josefson, others are high on guys like Zharkov, many like them all. We're calling up some of these guys because Rolston is out therefore we can exceed the cap by the amount of Rolston's annual salary(5M). This fills out our roster and gives some of our young new talent a shot with the big club.

Thanks. I did some salary cap research just before the season started since it was the only news coming out of Devils camp it seemed. So I think for a beginner I have a pretty good grasp on the cap so far (LTIR, Minimum Dressed Requirements, and bad contracts haha) I had some familiarity with minor league before (still learning the one-way, two-way contracts and such)

Welcome! Here's the basic rundown:

Josefson: highly regarded, much-needed center, and everyone from the organization out has pretty high hopes for him. He is only 19 and he has played for the Swedish Elite League (SEL) at age 18 (one of the best leagues in the world outside of the NHL). He had a so-so training camp, but a lot of people think he can bring a lot to the team. Tedenby is another young SEL player who is highly regarded, and so far he is still in the AHL.

Corrente / Sestito: these guys have been in the loop longer and are a little older. Corrente is a decent, but not great defenseman, although there is still hope he can develop further. Sestito had a great year last year in the AHL, but is still unproven. So far, both Corrente and Sestito haven't impressed in the 10+ NHL games they have played over the last few years.

Which of these guys do YOU see as someone who can step in immediately and get decent ice time and make a difference (if any)?

Which of these guys do YOU see as someone who can step in immediately and get decent ice time and make a difference (if any)?

Josefson will almost certainly be put in the 3rd line center role, and get heavier minutes than Sestito, who will be playing on the 4th line. If Josefson can adjust quickly enough to the North American game, he can be a major impact for the 3rd line, and really get that line producing. He has the puck sense and ability to be an excellent center. Only question is if he can get his game to that level after coming from Europe, where the game is slightly different.

They can only spend $2.1M, so they can take Salvador off LTIR. since cap calculator is down, I'll do this in my head, but that seems like around $50K short of $2.1M. Zharkie would have put them over that number. Fraser going down was a bad break for him, since they need a defenseman now

Excited for Josefson making his debut. Maybe this will have a positive effect on the older guys who haven't been giving their 100%...having the young guys brought up shows them that the organization is looking towards the future. They will have to give their all if they want to be part of it.

i'm going to the game, i may just cheer when they announce devil's scratches, it's a refreshing change.

Haha, actually Opening Night was a refreshing change for me compared to the eight and nine scratches we were announcing around New Year's last year. We needed two screens to list them for crying out loud, they didn't even bother to lower the font anymore :lol:

I like these choices for the call ups. I think Corrente is definitely an improvement on D over Fraser who seems to love making retarded cross ice passes out of our zone that are easily intercepted.

Josefson is a guy I'm really excited to see, but he may not dazzle everyone in his first few NHL games, so I'm trying to keep my expectations low for him. Although I expect him to put a few points up, as long as he's responsible defensively and doesn't hurt us when he's out there, I'll be happy.

I think the reasons why Sestito got the nod over Tedenby, is that we really need a good checking line, not a guy who's defense and backchecking abilities are questionable. I'd love to see Tedenby get called up at some point this year, but I think he absolutely needs the time in the AHL to get bigger, stronger and to whipped into shape as far as his defensive game is concerned. Also, I don't think we'd have room to put Tedenby in the situations where he'd be useful. We don't have room on the 3rd line to fit him and having him on the 4th line isn't where he needs to be. I do feel like if he was put on the PP, he'd be a good fit there just based on the fact that he can deke like no other and that would help us when working the puck down low on the PP, which is something I don't see our PP ever do...

Im happy to see Corrente back with the Devils. Corrente would have been in the line up full time if the devils had the cap space to start the season. I liked what i saw from Sestito last year, looks like he belongs when he plays, good 4th line player.

Josefson will replace Rolston I assume? Will be nice to see how he plays in his first NHL game.

The way i see it..

Corrente > Fraser

Sestito > PL3

Josefson < Rolston (has to be assumed until we see Josefson play in the bigs)

Haha, actually Opening Night was a refreshing change for me compared to the eight and nine scratches we were announcing around New Year's last year. We needed two screens to list them for crying out loud, they didn't even bother to lower the font anymore :lol:

that's true, i was at that game, i was just cracking up at the list then as well. we don't do anything half assed i guess.