Devils Name Peter DeBoer New Head Coach

nmigliore

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my take on Puck Daddy:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/The-Devils-and-Pete-DeBoer-Lou-Lamoriello-gambl?urn=nhl-wp9406

I like any coach that knows Lou has the itchy trigger finger.

Also, any coach that gets a chance to work with a solid NHL roster instead of a Panthers roster that saw more talent leave than Vinny Chase's bedroom door.

<JESTER>

Here's my take on Puck Daddy:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/The-Devils-and-Pete-DeBoer-Lou-Lamoriello-gambl?urn=nhl-wp9406

I like any coach that knows Lou has the itchy trigger finger.

Also, any coach that gets a chance to work with a solid NHL roster instead of a Panthers roster that saw more talent leave than Vinny Chase's bedroom door.

<JESTER>

:o you POSTED! :boogie:

What a change it will be for him though, going from the low-key, low-standard environment of coaching Florida - a team with few good players - to coaching the division title-contending, high-standard Devils. He now gets to work with Kovy, Parise, Elias, Zajac, Marty, etc...He must feel like a kid on Christmas!

Interesting to read the articles that came out about DeBoer once he was fired from the Panthers this past season. There seemed to be a few recurring themes:

1) Difficult to be successful given his roster

2) New GM (Tallon) wanted to set things up "his way" and clean house - as we've seen carry over with the players, too

3) DeBoer might have throttled back his expectations given his roster, all the trades & (lacking) returns around the deadline, and Tallon's presence

Weird component that came up from blogs and articles:

1) Perception that DeBoer doesn't like to play "tough guys" and would rather bench 'em.

My take on that: given the "tough guy" options DeBoer had the past 3 seasons, it's no wonder he could have picked up that tag. Yet he did play Darcy Hordichuk for 64 games last season, so I don't think this one holds a lot of weight.

Possibly concerning issues:

1) DeBoer doesn't know how to handle NHL players since he was used to juniors.

Counterpoint: DeBoer himself said he's a better coach "now" (meaning when he was fired) than 3 years earlier. I'm sure he went through a learning curve just like Sutter, since million-dollar athletes ain't quite the same as young men playing hockey.

2) DeBoer's brand of hockey "wore" on the players.

Counterpoint: I'm sure it's going to wear on guys if they're not winning. And given Florida's roster makeup, they weren't going to be winning. Trying to follow a system in order to win games gets a lot easier if the team can actually win more often than not. I also think there's the possibility that the Panthers' culture was pretty well established by the time DeBoer came on board, without making playoffs since 1999-2000...and asking players to buy into a specific system is tough if they don't really believe it can work. I'm inclined to believe (hope) it was more about the situation and less about the system

3) Players were afraid to make mistakes under his system.

Counterpoint: seems to go along with #s 1 & 2. Communication, expectations... plus I'm sure DeBoer became a bit more uncorked at practices (as the Devils saw with MacLean) when players made mistakes in games and those mistakes could jeopardize his own job security.

...just some observations and thoughts. Below are some of the articles I read, the most interesting ones, really.

Panthers fire DeBoer

*Idea that DeBoer couldn't be successful due to rosters

DeBoer ready to move on

*Players worn down, afraid to make mistakes, need new voice in locker room

DeBoer fired, part of Tallon's "blueprint"

*DeBoer set up to fail last season due to new GM

DeBoer: No Regrets

*DeBoer told when hired that Panthers will do whatever it takes to win; never happened

real interesting post, i_g - to me, deboer was fired because tallon wanted his own guy in there, end of story.

he got asked two questions about kovalchuk during the press conference, and that's what it's going to come down to. can he get kovalchuk to play better defense?

i also like deboer from a parise standpoint - i think he and sutter share a similar vision, and i think sutter was the coach with which parise shared a similar mindset in terms of tendencies - aggressive forecheck, etc.

i also like deboer from a parise standpoint - i think he and sutter share a similar vision, and i think sutter was the coach with which parise shared a similar mindset in terms of tendencies - aggressive forecheck, etc.

I agree. I think the Devils will play a very similar style to what we saw under Sutter...the question is whether that will be "the Devils" or "the forwards, except for Kovalchuk, and also the defense."

DeBoer certainly hasn't coached any players of that ilk before. Best he had in Florida (excluding Vokoun) was Booth pre-injury, along with Weiss and Horton. Kovalchuk, Parise, and Elias are all at that next level. Zajac's right there with Weiss and Booth, and the Devils' younger players like Clarkson, Palmieri, even Josefson and Tedenby...all seem to be more prepared to handle the NHL than many of the Panthers' more highly touted young guns. DeBoer might still be coaching there if Olesz, Frolik, and McArdle didn't all disappoint.

Also read something along the lines of Vokoun and DeBoer not always seeing eye to eye down the stretch last season. Guessing that coincided with the decisions to play Clemmensen when he was hot instead of giving Vokoun just one night off. Hope DeBoer sticks to his guns regarding playing Hedberg when he's hot and giving Marty some breathing time.

I'm excited about this. Much more than I would've been with Therien, Carbonneau, Hitchcock, etc. DeBoer seems to be very sound in his hockey decisions, he has experience with youth, and seemed to have things pretty well laid out in Florida even though they couldn't capitalize on the seasons. I think he'll be a good fit here and really hope we don't have to do this again next summer :pray: .

Here's something interesting - probably just happenstance - but DeBoer in his FAN590 interview mentioned veteran leaders like Brodeur, Elias, White, and Zubrus. There was a player missing from that list (rolston, not kovalchuk)

Edited by Triumph

Here's something interesting - probably just happenstance - but DeBoer in his FAN590 interview mentioned veteran leaders like Brodeur, Elias, White, and Zubrus. There was a player missing from that list (rolston, not kovalchuk)

you're probably reading into that too much. i know rolston was a captain in Minnesota, but do you think guys like josefson, tedenby, palmieri look up to rolston?

you're probably reading into that too much. i know rolston was a captain in Minnesota, but do you think guys like josefson, tedenby, palmieri look up to rolston?

tedenby looks up to everyone, because he's so short.

i am reading into it but there is still somewhat of a salary impasse here wrt parise.

fail with the ray catena stuff. lou is a spokesmen for i believe prestige Mercedes?

globe - already said though.

Does the fact that Deboer has worked with Zajac influence the Captain pool?

i would be very surprised if zajac jumped to a captain spot when there are 3 other A's (elias, parise, kovalchuk) and even white to consider.