Plane Crashes carrying Top HK Lokomotiv Team

jagknife

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. I know this is off topic, but while we're on a grim subject, I noticed your avatar, so have you seen the documentary "Senna" I saw a couple days ago, but everyone I talk to looks at me retarded when I mention F1. I just wanted to get at least one other persons perspective on it and I've had quite a difficult time finding anyone else who's seen it.

I watched Senna the uncut version almost 3hours of film ,about 3/4months ago. and to this day i am having a very hard time to construct a review about this movie, mostly because I'm a Brazilian i know what senna meant for the brazilian people at the time no less than a hero to say the least. And because of that becomes very difcult to make a review without the bias of being part of the senna crazinies for my entire life.

I'm sorry but i really have to go now . i got be at work in about 30 minutes , i will send a PM with a more elaborate review about the Movie later tonight.

Again i'm Sorry mate i really have no time to elaborate a review right now.

I still don't get what the hell the pilot was doing- from all the info, it said there evident problems before take-off. WHY TAKE OFF THEN?! This was beyond avoidable. It really pisses me off.

Could be pressure from management to make the game on-time and no other plane in the area was available.

Why did Buddy Holly and Richie Valens and comp. have to fly in a small plane during a snow storm?

Why didn't Princess Diana's driver not just pull over and call the police?

Why did Stevie Ray Vaughan have to fly in a helicopter in heavy fog?

This is what happens when you have pressure to meet a tight schedule.

I dont agree with this entirely. I'm not intending to diminish or take away from the gravity of the situation at all. Most of the players were well known to hockey fans, but it's small potatoes in the general scope of things from an American news perspective. There were also no current NHL'ers on the flight.

Not any of the major media sports sites (CNNSI, Fox, ESPN) have the crash featured on the front page.

More speaking to the safety of the aircraft:

"Newspaper Kommersant reports that airline Yak-Serivce is ranked DEAD LAST among all airlines who fly to EU by European Air Safety Commission"

FOXNEWS has it on their front page! Truly tragic regardless of the reasons behind it.

A very good write-up on Fox News

http://www.foxnews.c...test=latestnews

A Russian jet carrying members of a local hockey team crashed shortly after takeoff on Wednesday, killing 43 people, including several former NHL players.

The Yak-42 crashed immediately after leaving an airport near the city of Yaroslavl, on the Volga River about 150 miles northeast of Moscow. The weather was sunny and clear at the time.

The Russian Emergency Situations Ministry said the plane was carrying the Lokomotiv ice hockey team from Yaroslavl to Minsk, the capital of Belarus, where it was to play Thursday against Dinamo Minsk in the opening game of the season in the Kontinental Hockey League. The KHL is an international league that pits together teams from Russia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Latvia and Slovakia.

Prime Minister Vladimir Putin immediately sent the nation's transport minister to the site, 10 miles east of Yaroslavl.

A Lokomotiv official reportedly told Sovetsky Sport that all the players from the team’s main roster were aboard the plane.

The Emergency Ministry said Czech players Josef Vasicek, Karel Rachunek and Jan Marek, Swedish goalie Stefan Liv, Canadian coach Brad McCrimmon, Latvian defenseman Karlis Skrastins, defenseman Ruslan Salehi of Belarus and Slovakian national team captain Pavol Demitra were among those killed.

Tomas Kral, the president of the Czech ice hockey association, was shocked to hear the news.

"Jan Marek, Karel Rachunek, and Josef Vasicek contributed greatly to the best successes of our ice hockey in the recent years, first of all to the golden medals at the world championships in 2005 and 2010," Kral said. "The were excellent players, but also great friends and personalities. That's how we will remember them."

Demitra, 36, an 11-time 20-goal scorer from Slovakia, played 13 years in the NHL and scored 304 goals. Alexander Vasyunov, who played 18 NHL games last season with the New Jersey Devils, was also onboard, according to Newscore

"This is the darkest day in the history of our sport. This is not only a Russian tragedy, the Lokomotiv roster included players and coaches from 10 nations," said Rene Fasel, president of the international Ice Hockey Federation. "This is a terrible tragedy for the global ice hockey community."

"Though it occurred thousands of miles away from our home arenas, this tragedy represents a catastrophic loss to the hockey world -- including the NHL family, which lost so many fathers, sons, teammates and friends who at one time excelled in our League," NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman said in a statement.

Russian NHL star Alex Ovechkin tweeted: "I'm in shock!!!!!R.I.P ..."

I still don't get what the hell the pilot was doing- from all the info, it said there evident problems before take-off. WHY TAKE OFF THEN?! This was beyond avoidable. It really pisses me off.

Things happen quickly once the plane starts rolling. By before takeoff, I assume they mean pre-rotation, during the takeoff roll. The pilot probably realized too late that the plane didn't have enough power to get off the ground. At that point there are two outcomes...abort the takeoff and roll off the end of the runway, or the pilot attempts to take off and the aircraft stalls and crashes.

So senseless. RIP. Not to point fingers but WTF is with Russia and their lack of concern for safety? Someone better be held accountable.

We know nothing about the cause of the accident yet. An accident like this can and does happen in the United States. In fact all of the other fatal crashes this year have involved US aircraft. In the last 5 years we have had American Airlines aircraft found to have maintenance issues, as well as South West not conforming to several airworthiness directives. Both maintenance issues being covered up to save a few bucks. And then you have the crew fatigue issue that continues to cause accidents...Colgan Air is the most recent one. So corruption and a lack of concern for safety isn't just a Russian issue.

Now in this case it is obvious safety was overlooked. However, with air accidents, it is ver rarely one big thing that causes it, it is usually several minor things that snowball.

Edited by mmajeski06

Less government regulations I guess. Kind of like what Ron Paul wants.

It is wildly inappropriate to bring politics into this discussion.

This is horrible, I've been thinking about it all day. It just sucks. RIP to everyone on board, and condolences and prayers to their families.

Ok, after several hours of sitting on this I want to share my feelings to you guys. This is absolutely devastating news to all of hockey. We all know what a great player Pavol Demitra was during the dead puck era and the contributions Vasyunov and Rachunek made to our club. I had high hopes for Vasyunov and was kinda bummed it didnt work out for him last year. I can't but to feel so horrible for the family and friends of the Lokomotiv squad. It must be awful knowing that this whole thing probably could have been avoided. I might be looking into this so much, but I feel especially bad for Lou. I wonder if he regrets not giving Vasyunov that one way contract now. I hope he isn't beating himself over it because he did what was best for Vasyunov and his hockey career (there simply wasn't room here). RIP guys