GDT: Buffalo Sabres @ New Jersey Devils

Aznjsn

How many more games like this until people start realizing they're not making the playoffs...Its cool I bet they come back and play a lot better..they're just tired. Yea. That's it. Keep the faith.

When we do make the playoffs, you will be the first one celebrating on here saying how you knew it was going to happen and we are taking the cup. Just stop.

Edited by Quinn01

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who says the Devils are going to make the playoffs is just as loopy as the people saying they definitely won't (although it is amusing the Ranger fan has more confidence than most Devil fans in the Devils). We almost certainly aren't going to know if the Devils are going to make the playoffs until the last week of the season, if not actually having it decided on April 7.

Edited by NJDevs4978

And who have they beaten? Sorry but when you continue to suck on your home ice, when you continue to score a goal a game despite the talent and when your "no. 1 goalie" continues to get outplayed something needs to be done.

I'm sorry but where is all this talent we're talking about? The Devils have 3 theoretically world-class forwards: Parise, Elias, Kovalchuk. The rest of the team are complementary players. They don't have a top offensive defenseman. They don't draw penalties.

They're not going to do anything about the goaltending - they're going to sink or swim with the guys they've got.

We should have played Moose, not because Marty played better, but because this team seems to hustle more with the backup goalie in net. They looked freaking slow and out of sync today. Kovalchuk was gaining the zone by himself, circling around, and yet no one would crash the front of the net. Even Carter made some good passes from behind the net.. this was a frustrating loss.

We should have played Moose, not because Marty played better, but because this team seems to hustle more with the backup goalie in net. They looked freaking slow and out of sync today. Kovalchuk was gaining the zone by himself, circling around, and yet no one would crash the front of the net. Even Carter made some good passes from behind the net.. this was a frustrating loss.

I'm not digging DeBoer giving Marty the vast majority of the starts lately. I know Marty missed a few games with the injury early in the season, but there seemed to be a little more balance in the workload between Moose and Marty that I'm hoping will resurface down the stretch. I'm hoping- PRAYING- Moose plays the Ranger game next week. But we all know what will happen: Marty will start, most likely letting in 1 or 2 WTF?! goals, while The Queen of the Pads stands there and sticks out his giant mattresses and stops everything in site and we lose 3-1.

Forgetting the first period I honestly thought we played a great game

Defense was amazing Salvador in particular, only 15 shots allowed in 3 plus periods.

Offense had many opportunities to bury in some goals I mean Boulton had a couple of great chances, Carter had another good chance, Kovy got robbed on the 2 on 1 and had other good chances off of faceoffs and rushes, Parise was hauled down on his breakaway, Henrique hit the pipe, and Josefson was stoned. It was just one of those nights where Miller was outstanding and the Devils just couldnt get the bounces.

I am also shocked that Parise is missing on every single breakaway or shootout since that Montreal gm. Its very strange because we are so accustomed to him burying many of those. :unsure:

Edited by Zubie#8

The team is performing about where it should, perhaps underachieving a little due to untimely injuries. It's frustrating, but that's they way the cookie crumbles. We have to face the facts, there are pot holes that need to be filled before we can smoothly ride into the playoffs. Personally, and perhaps it's herasy for me to say, but I wouldn't mind they finish out of the playoffs and get a better pick. Will it be disappointing to see them miss out a second year in a row? Yes! Do the devils have a chance in hell (pun intended) of competing with the bostons and vancouvers of the NHL? Definitely Not this year. 2 cents.

Edited by Biggie B

Bottom line: We make the playoffs as 8th seed and lose 4-1 to Rags or Bruins, I'm happy.

Next year: We come back with or without Zach, maybe a top line D. Make the playoffs, get to 2nd round. Lose. I'm happy.

Year after that: We make the playoffs, get to ECF, maybe Stanley Cup, hopefully win, I'm happy.

Pens, Hawks, Bruins: that seems to be the going pattern in recent years.

I'm in no way getting it in my head that we'll make or win the SCF this year or even make waves in the playoffs.

This year, with this team, a playoff berth is the highest hope we can have. Be happy with that.

Now if you'll excuse me, Teen Mom 2 is on.

Edited by CarpathianForest

This is a very streaky team as far as I am concerned. So, I will not be surprised if this team winning the division but gets kicked out in the first round and same goes if they can achieve what Montreal did couple years ago. So inconsistent that makes me wonder am I watching Jykell and Hyde.

This is a very streaky team as far as I am concerned. So, I will not be surprised if this team winning the division but gets kicked out in the first round and same goes if they can achieve what Montreal did couple years ago. So inconsistent that makes me wonder am I watching Jykell and Hyde.

You don't need Vegas odds to know that's not gonna happen. We're basically tied with Toronto for eighth.

In the last three games -- all losses -- the Devils have outshot their opponents 90-59. Puck luck is a bitch.

So that means just "shooting the puck" (like everyone loves to yell at games) isnt always the great idea... sometimes its about quality of shots not quantity

Bottom line: We make the playoffs as 8th seed and lose 4-1 to Rags or Bruins, I'm happy.

Next year: We come back with or without Zach, maybe a top line D. Make the playoffs, get to 2nd round. Lose. I'm happy.

Year after that: We make the playoffs, get to ECF, maybe Stanley Cup, hopefully win, I'm happy.

Pens, Hawks, Bruins: that seems to be the going pattern in recent years.

I'm in no way getting it in my head that we'll make or win the SCF this year or even make waves in the playoffs.

This year, with this team, a playoff berth is the highest hope we can have. Be happy with that.

Now if you'll excuse me, Teen Mom 2 is on.

Agreed on all fronts (except Teen Mom 2 :P). I don't remember who, but someone on the board said within the past couple of days that we keep forgetting this isn't the same team is was 5-10 years ago. We've become so used to seeing the Devs win (and handily) that we don't really know how to handle a team that isn't among the league's elite.

So that means just "shooting the puck" (like everyone loves to yell at games) isnt always the great idea... sometimes its about quality of shots not quantity

The quality has looked pretty good to me. Miller, Bryz and Thomas all had several moments of sheer robbery.

The other part of that number is that the defense hasn't been allowing many shots, either. Salvador, in particular, has been pretty outstanding for a very long stretch here. Larsson seems to be regaining some of his cool as well.

disappointing and frustrating games for the Devs, at least they got 1 pt. the net has become small since the jets game outburst. deboer is looking for ways to jet kovy and zach going, these two need to carry us if we are going to stay in contention (obvious)

the double shift with the 4th hasnt developed into any real kovy freelance oppertunities, imo. it just tires him out and he loses legs at the end of his reg shift. hopefully this break will allow some juggling ideas. how how we get zach the puck? we've been somewhat successful in springing him at times but few sustained possession chances

Defense is in constant flux, like the play of A-train and bryce, larson has been solid except for the occasional WTF pass in his end. there were two or three yesterday. harrold for his few mins looks like a poor mans andy green. when compared to our long lanky slow guys

beat the rangers and isles and we will be right there for a PO spot, dont and we'll fade away

Agreed on all fronts (except Teen Mom 2 :P). I don't remember who, but someone on the board said within the past couple of days that we keep forgetting this isn't the same team is was 5-10 years ago. We've become so used to seeing the Devs win (and handily) that we don't really know how to handle a team that isn't among the league's elite.

But that's just it, the Devils haven't been a truly elite team since 2003, except maybe in 2008-09. I don't know what team they've been watching for the last 5 years.

But that's just it, the Devils haven't been a truly elite team since 2003, except maybe in 2008-09. I don't know what team they've been watching for the last 5 years.

Well, I think a lot of us have been holding on to those memories and it's finally starting to sink in that those days are over. The litany of excuses for their poor performance over the years, especially in the playoffs, shows that many Devils fans -- myself included at times -- still considered them an elite team.

Well, I think a lot of us have been holding on to those memories and it's finally starting to sink in that those days are over. The litany of excuses for their poor performance over the years, especially in the playoffs, shows that many Devils fans -- myself included at times -- still considered them an elite team.

Well, the Devils have gotten some rotten breaks in the playoffs lately - I won't argue that. Nor will I argue that I thought the Devils could be a top 10 team in the league this year (I ranked them #9 coming into the season). But injuries and some poor play has made that unlikely. Still, it's not an elite team - it's got an okay offense, a good defense, and mediocre-to-bad goaltending.

Well, the Devils have gotten some rotten breaks in the playoffs lately - I won't argue that. Nor will I argue that I thought the Devils could be a top 10 team in the league this year (I ranked them #9 coming into the season). But injuries and some poor play has made that unlikely. Still, it's not an elite team - it's got an okay offense, a good defense, and mediocre-to-bad goaltending.

lol 9th, no wonder you were arguing they were an elite team after four games. I had them eighth in the EAST, behind Boston, Washington, Philly, Pittsburgh, Buffalo (who was supposed to be a contender with all their additions before it blew up after Lucic ran into Miller), Tampa (after Guy Boucher was supposed to have revolutionized hockey last year) and the Rangers.