All purpose Olympics thread

SterioDesign

Somebody really needs to tell Pierre McGuire that "selling out" is not a compliment. I only saw three of the Olympic games, but in that time I heard him describe players giving everything they've got as "selling out." It's not the only idiotic thing I've ever heard him say, but it might be the MOST idiotic.

• Like 1

Parise won't ever be Captain of Team USA ever again...

Probably not, but who cares. I am sure he was a fine captain. These mythical leaders that people have in their heads that  give 'Any Given Sunday' speeches don't exist.

You now who the US had on their roster? Captain of the LA Kings Dustin Brown. Captain of the New York Rangers Ryan Callahan. Captain of the St Louis Blues David Backes. Veteran alternate captains in Ryan Suter and Brooks Orpik.

Do you think any of these guys needed to be lead by Zach Parise? Not getting up for the bronze medal game is the fault of everyone, and if someone didn't think the team had the right mindset, any one of the vets could have stepped up and said something or done something about it. The same ones that people here probably think would be a better captain than Zach Parise.

Probably not, but who cares. I am sure he was a fine captain. These mythical leaders that people have in their heads that give 'Any Given Sunday' speeches don't exist.

You now who the US had on their roster? Captain of the LA Kings Dustin Brown. Captain of the New York Rangers Ryan Callahan. Captain of the St Louis Blues David Backes. Veteran alternate captains in Ryan Suter and Brooks Orpik.

Do you think any of these guys needed to be lead by Zach Parise? Not getting up for the bronze medal game is the fault of everyone, and if someone didn't think the team had the right mindset, any one of the vets could have stepped up and said something or done something about it. The same ones that people here probably think would be a better captain than Zach Parise.

It's also not like they got swept in a four game series by an AHL team. They lost by one goal to a stacked Canadian team, and to a very good Finnish team. sh!t happens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tsss so typical... We win gold again

I have a strong hunch if the Canadian team had lost to the US, you'd either be in hiding or bitching about how they got screwed somehow. 

You're really not much different from the Canadiens fans you claim to despise...you just happen to root for a different team than they do. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I have a strong hunch if the Canadian team had lost to the US, you'd either be in hiding or bitching about how they got screwed somehow. 

You're really not much different from the Canadiens fans you claim to despise...you just happen to root for a different team than they do. 

If the USA had won that game I certainly would have been saying it was simply bad luck. Canada absolutely dominated this tournament possession wise and had the top goaltender.

The current Devils are the ultimate proof that shootouts are NOT a crapshoot. It's results are clearly skill based. The debate is whether you think a players individual skill should decide the outcome of a game.

GL today Canada, I have to many potentially gloating swedes at my workplace. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's why Matt Hendricks and Brad Boyes are beasts at them, right?  That's why Crosby and Ovechkin are only league average at them, right?  They are just a crapshoot.  Hell even Ryane Clowe was at 40% coming into this season.  The Devils have plenty of guys who are at worst league average, and capable of putting pucks in during shootout attempts.  There is very little correlation between skill and shootout success rate.

Anyways, this is the Olympics thread.  The fact Backstrom couldn't play because he took allergy medicine has to be one of the more ridiculous things ever.  But I definitely don't have a problem with the Olympic committee having such a strict Substance Abuse policy.  Tough break for Sweden.

That's why Matt Hendricks and Brad Boyes are beasts at them, right?  That's why Crosby and Ovechkin are only league average at them, right?  They are just a crapshoot.  Hell even Ryane Clowe was at 40% coming into this season.  The Devils have plenty of guys who are at worst league average, and capable of putting pucks in during shootout attempts.  There is very little correlation between skill and shootout success rate.

I have a hard time taking you seriously if you really are suggesting all players have an equal chance at scoring on penalty shots. There's just no logic to that at all.

I have a hard time taking you seriously if you really are suggesting all players have an equal chance at scoring on penalty shots. There's just no logic to that at all.

Sure it may not make logical sense, but the numbers don't always coincide with logic.  

Clowe and Elias prior to this season were both at 40% coming into this season which is very good.  Now neither can score at all in shootouts.  Zajac was like 35% prior to this year which is roughly the same as Ovechkin.  Zajac is like 28% now I think.

Honestly, our shootout record is mostly because of bad luck and our goaltending.  The goaltending in the shootouts has been pretty bad.  We've also hit a lot of posts or missed the net.  It becomes a mental thing after a while.

Sure it may not make logical sense, but the numbers don't always coincide with logic.  

Clowe and Elias prior to this season were both at 40% coming into this season which is very good.  Now neither can score at all in shootouts.  Zajac was like 35% prior to this year which is roughly the same as Ovechkin.  Zajac is like 28% now I think.

/

Honestly, our shootout record is mostly because of bad luck and our goaltending.  The goaltending in the shootouts has been pretty bad.  We've also hit a lot of posts or missed the net.  It becomes a mental thing after a while.

LOL. One SO goal scored all season is "bad luck" AND goaltending? How can you even put goaltending in it? The team has scored ONE SO goal all season. They are operating under historical levels of futility here. 

The Devils as a group are taking bad attempts. They are also a bit exposed not having players like Kovalchuk and Parise "lead off" the SO with a goal. Bad luck isn't missing the net. Hitting posts is a better example of bad luck. The puck squeezing through pads and stopping just short of a goal is bad luck There's just no excuse to reasonably miss the net on a SO attempt in the first place.

As far as players, how many times has Elias half assed a shot into the pads? How many times has Zajac gotten in too close before making a move? Henrique? I can name twice, on his backhand and forehand, he made the right move and missed top shelf. 

If they were just bad, instead of historically futile, they've gotten good enough goaltending to win a few of these at least.

Edited by TheRedStorm

LOL. One SO goal scored all season is "bad luck" AND goaltending? How can you even put goaltending in it? The team has scored ONE SO goal all season. They are operating under historical levels of futility here.

The Devils as a group are taking bad attempts. They are also a bit exposed not having players like Kovalchuk and Parise "lead off" the SO with a goal. Bad luck isn't missing the net. Hitting posts is a better example of bad luck. The puck squeezing through pads and stopping just short of a goal is bad luck There's just no excuse to reasonably miss the net on a SO attempt in the first place.

As far as players, how many times has Elias half assed a shot into the pads? How many times has Zajac gotten in too close before making a move? Henrique? I can name twice, on his backhand and forehand, he made the right move and missed top shelf.

They've gotten good enough goaltending to win a few of these at least.

Edit. Nevermind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Daniel