GDT: Blues at Devils

Devils Pride 26

We are simply too old as a whole to compete against high-caliber teams. Another .500 or so season that will be a cusp playoff year.

I agree with ya 100 % !   STL seemed to be flying out there, NJ was just trying to catch up.  Good game Cory  !

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought this was their best game at even strength in a while - the PP left something to be desired, but they finally looked like last year's team out there.  I'm not being funny, either - the structurelessness that's been causing these big shots against numbers to happen appeared to be gone.  Henrique-Elias-Ryder created lots of chances.  The Jagr line wasn't great but it wasn't bad.  And the 4th line chipped in some stuff.

That said, Gelinas looked like he'd taken a year off from hockey.  Almost every decision he seems to make these days is wrong.

I've always hated calling players inconsistent because usually it's the results that are inconsistent, but Damien Brunner is actually an inconsistent player.  He gets into bad habits and starts making bad plays.  He can be a dynamic, game-changing sort of guy, but he makes mistakes on the little things.

Clowe had better start picking it up because he looks like the team's weakest forward right now.  

In what world are Merrill, Greene and josefson fast players?

And good grief you are already going back to your splitting hairs and talking out of both sides of your mouth again. Remember when it took half of the board last year telling you that were doing it?

At least Josefson is definitely pretty fast. 

Some people moaning about losing this game need their heads examined. Anyone would think we lost 8-0 the way some people are talking.

I will take a lot of positives from this game. 1-0 against a good Blues team is very encouraging and as CR pointed out Cory was in fine for and has been for he last few games.

Things are looking more solid despite the loss.

Cory has been terrific in five out of his last six games.  Season save% now up to .912.  It was at .898 before these last 6 games. 

That's a nice positive.[/quot

That is a terrific positive and an improvement towards building a team however the other players are just a collection while we wait for the future should it ever come to the old and slow Devils offense.

Some people moaning about losing this game need their heads examined. Anyone would think we lost 8-0 the way some people are talking.

I will take a lot of positives from this game. 1-0 against a good Blues team is very encouraging and as CR pointed out Cory was in fine for and has been for he last few games.

Things are looking more solid despite the loss.

this board has turned into a paranoid group of fans after having crappy teams the oast couple years not doing enough to make it into the post season.

Blues are a solid team. They aren't very good or great. Overall I am unimpressed with our forwards and how we play but it's the style and system we have to play with based on our talent.

I thought this was their best game at even strength in a while - the PP left something to be desired, but they finally looked like last year's team out there.  I'm not being funny, either - the structurelessness that's been causing these big shots against numbers to happen appeared to be gone.  Henrique-Elias-Ryder created lots of chances.  The Jagr line wasn't great but it wasn't bad.  And the 4th line chipped in some stuff.

That said, Gelinas looked like he'd taken a year off from hockey.  Almost every decision he seems to make these days is wrong.

I've always hated calling players inconsistent because usually it's the results that are inconsistent, but Damien Brunner is actually an inconsistent player.  He gets into bad habits and starts making bad plays.  He can be a dynamic, game-changing sort of guy, but he makes mistakes on the little things.

Clowe had better start picking it up because he looks like the team's weakest forward right now.  

From my perspective that's about right. 

Gelinas wasn't that bad and did take the body on several times and he is at his best defensively when he does that.

Severson was dreadful

Blues are a solid team. They aren't very good or great. Overall I am unimpressed with our forwards and how we play but it's the style and system we have to play with based on our talent.

4th in Fenwick 5v5 last year, 7th in Fenwick close, and Tarasenko is now a star player.  They're quite possibly a top team.

St. Louis came off a 4-3 SO win against the Rangers, were on the tail end of a back-to-back set on the road, missing both Oshie and Stastny.  We had rested, not having played since Saturday. 

In a league this tight, and when you're playing at home after two nights off, playing a worn team that is missing arguably its two best players, you NEED TO WIN this game.

In addition to the obvious - age and speed - I question the killer instinct mentality this team requires to make a serious run at a playoff spot.

Not gaining any points against a non-divisional rival that is coming into your building after a tough game against the Rangers is a tell-tale sign of a culture of complacency and a mentality deficient of a winning attitude that is significantly compounded by the obvious - lack of real-time talent and speed.

They've finished 4th, 6th and 3rd in the league the past 3 seasons, playing in the Central. They didn't get worse this offseason. Really itching to hear your definition of "very good". 

St. Louis came off a 4-3 SO win against the Rangers, were on the tail end of a back-to-back set on the road, missing both Oshie and Stastny.  We had rested, not having played since Saturday. 

Not gaining any points against a non-divisional rival that is coming into your building after a tough game against the Rangers is a tell-tale sign of a culture of complacency and a mentality deficient of a winning attitude that is significantly compounded by the obvious - lack of real-time talent and speed.

yup you said it; cant wait for thursday

From my perspective that's about right. 

Gelinas wasn't that bad and did take the body on several times and he is at his best defensively when he does that.

Severson was dreadful

I don't really agree about Gelinas - yeah, he made some nice hits, but those are risky plays, and he's not going to make a lot of those.  I feel like that's what got him into trouble defensively last year was an obsession with taking out the man.  It's nice when that guy has the puck, but if he's already gotten rid of the puck, you've just taken yourself out of the play.  Then again, it might beat the alternative, since when Gelinas actually plays 'defense' people tend to blow past him regardless.

B1sZSt1CIAAACR6.png

From Cordell on Twitter

Gelinas's numbers don't look so bad. Zidlicky on the other hand... yikes. Clowe too.

The Henrique-Elias-Ryder line killed it. All at a +12 on shot attempts. JJ's line with Clowe and Brunner, not so much. Sal and Zid need to be kept away from each other or they'll always be ending up as a net negative.

Would like to see:

Greene-Severson

Merril-Zidlicky

Sal-Larsson

That being said, if you want to insert Gelinas into the lineup,I don't know what you can do to put together 3 pairings that can all be positive in corsi/fenwick. Without him, I think the pairings above can all be positive more often than not.

Edited by ATLL765

Clowe isnt going to win any skating skills competition at the allstar game. he's a big body that can bang, and we have few of those. at times he can possess well along the boards but unfortunately bad passes are the result or one stick handle too many

last year we trounced the blues 7-1 at home and a week later after the horrible winter classic got shut out at St Louis, hope its the reverse