What would you trade for Taylor Hall?

roomtemp

It just goes to show you how quickly things change in hockey. We had an abundance of D, and just a couple years later we were particularly weak on D. The Oilers needed centers, then drafted McDavid and Draisaitl. Triumph mentioned the cost would be too high, then the Oilers hired Chiarelli. 

• Like 2

On 12/18/2014 at 10:52 AM, '7' said:

You absolutely get Taylor Hall. Just turned 23. 80 points last season. 50 in 45 the year before. You can't just say "well we need a center first so let's not prioritize Hall"

whatever, when a player of this caliber becomes available and you're as starved for offense and excitement as the Devils then you jump on it

And I would trade this years 1st round pick for him (we wont end up bad enough for McDavid or Eichel, especially now with a real backup and the team getting healthy we'll start winning some games you'd figure) If we give up the 1st then we can build a package and get Hall

He has 148 points in his last 146 games. He is an elite talent and a superstar. With the state of our franchise now we can't afford to let opportunities like this slip away

YEA!

• Like 6

On 12/17/2014 at 9:57 AM, Mitico12 said:

Half the posters here have no "eye" for hockey.  Trust me, on a hunch, I think Kinkaid has the technique to be a solid goaltender.  Let's see if he has the character.

I'll be honest, thank goodness we only lost Bo Horvat as a result of the Schneider trade, because he is NOT impressing me his first two seasons here...

What an amazing bump lol boy was that hunch wrong,  Kinkaid is barely a serviceable backup 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

What an amazing bump lol boy was that hunch wrong,  Kinkaid is barely a serviceable backup 

Well, he does have a .910 career save percentage. I'd say he's an NHL backup and not some fringe AHL guy

4 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

This was fun to re-read. Some of you regular posters were wrong, wrong, wrong on what it would take!!!

The fact that I didn't even bother to post in the thread shows what chance I thought the Devils had to acquire Hall.  I simply didn't think it was possible.

Though I always maintained that the Larsson-for-Hall trade was a no-brainer, I did state on multiple occasions that it wasn't as lopsided as many were thinking, that Larsson would be a big help to the Oilers in a non-glamour numbers kind of way, and that though Hall clearly had a lot of talent, he might be overrated.  And though I did say that you never judge a deal by the first season only, what we're now seeing is just how insanely high Hall's upside really is...there's a part of me that wonders is if even Hall himself knew that he had this kind of hockey in him...yeah, I know he had some productive seasons before, but I just have a hunch that he's playing with more confidence and fire than ever.  And the fact that it's all paying off for him is making it all the sweeter...it wouldn't surprise me if Shero has reminded him once or twice "See how good you can be?"

In short, I never thought Hall could be THIS damned good...and wow am I glad that I was wrong about that.  Somehow Larsson by himself was enough to bring Hall to the Devils, but I wonder what it would take for another team to pry Hall from the Devils NOW.  Imagine the Oilers asking to undo this one?  Heh heh...

• Like 5

Some of my favorites:

On 12/16/2014 at 12:47 PM, DevsMan84 said:

They would probably want Larsson or Merrill, a 1st or 2nd and a good forward like Henrique or such.

I'm not sure if I am sold on even having or wanting Hall to begin with.

How’s that game worn Hall jersey you were “sold on”?

On 12/16/2014 at 12:49 PM, Triumph said:

I don't want him.  I mean obviously I do, but at the price it would take, the Devils can't afford him.  They need centers before they can think about wingers.

Nope.

On 12/16/2014 at 2:46 PM, DJ Eco said:

About 27 or 28 teams can and would outbid us for Taylor Hall right now. We have nothing to offer.

We may have right pieces to offer for an under-the-radar "big name" NOT on the trading block, a la Kovalchuk, if Lou were in fine form. But a declaration that Hall is on the block immediately discounts us.

Incorrect. 

• Like 1

On 12/16/2014 at 11:26 PM, thecoffeecake said:

What will it take to get a future core piece from an up and coming team poised for sustained success? I'm gonna guess a lot.

Not so much. 

On 12/17/2014 at 2:33 AM, ATLL765 said:

There's no way we can acquire Hall without breaking the rest of the team.

To get Hall, something like Severson+Henrique+1st would have to go the other way. That's more than I'm willing to give up, especially with good/deep this year's draft is supposed to be.

It’s sounded true at the time.

On 12/18/2014 at 11:52 AM, Daniel said:

Whatever deal it would be would probably include someone that has a pretty good shot at being a franchise goalie.  

Glad that wasn’t the case.

On 12/18/2014 at 1:24 PM, '7' said:

They'll happily take a 2nd first rounder this year. Any deal for Hall will likely have a 1st round pick involved

I mean Larsson was picked in the first round, that’s what you meant, right??

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Not so much. 

It’s sounded true at the time.

Glad that wasn’t the case.

I mean Larsson was picked in the first round, that’s what you meant, right??

Ha. I meant the pick that ended up being Zacha. Overall though I never thought they would've been this in love with Larsson. He showed you he could do some nice things but the lack of offensive upside and the average skating, I would've figured we'd need to give up a bit more.

15 minutes ago, Marshall said:

Having a laugh at people for being wrong about the cost of acquiring Hall is kinda silly - McKenzie's "The trade is one for one"-tweet is a damn meme. 

I’m totally being silly, I think following an OT winner by Hall last night it’s totally warranted. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Marshall said:

Having a laugh at people for being wrong about the cost of acquiring Hall is kinda silly - McKenzie's "The trade is one for one"-tweet is a damn meme. 

There's shades of Toronto's first rounder-for-Tom Kurvers in this one, in that Lou had a value in mind for Kurvers and was determined to maximize it...though the pick becoming the 3rd overall (Niedermayer) was a bit of a surprise, Lou wasn't going to budge on the price that he was willing to sell Kurvers for.  I even remember Lou saying publicly that it would take a first-rounder in return for him to cough up Kurvers.  

I'm sure that Chiarelli probably tried to get more out of Shero that he did, but Shero held his ground and simply refused..."Hey, you want a young defenseman that was drafted fourth overall and is just hitting his stride, here's what it's going to take..."  Hell, I know others have mentioned this before, but it really is kind of amazing/mind-boggling that Chiarelli somehow didn't get a least a 2nd-rounder and a 3rd-rounder along with Larsson.  Even if that had been the deal, I would have been fully in favor of it. 

We're lucky too in that Hall's final two seasons in Edmonton were not as impressive as others...seemed to lower his value just enough that Shero was able to pull off one hell of a heist. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

There's shades of Toronto's first rounder-for-Tom Kurvers in this one, in that Lou had a value in mind for Kurvers and was determined to maximize it...though the pick becoming the 3rd overall (Niedermayer) was a bit of a surprise, Lou wasn't going to budge on the price that he was willing to sell Kurvers for.  I even remember Lou saying publicly that it would take a first-rounder in return for him to cough up Kurvers.  

I'm sure that Chiarelli probably tried to get more out of Shero that he did, but Shero held his ground and simply refused..."Hey, you want a young defenseman that was drafted fourth overall and is just hitting his stride, here's what it's going to take..."  Hell, I know other have mentioned this before, but it really is kind of amazing/mind-boggling that Chiarelli somehow didn't get a least a 2nd-rounder and a 3rd-rounder along with Larsson.  Even that had been the deal, I would have been fully in favor of it. 

We're lucky too in that Hall's final two seasons in Edmonton were not as impressive as others...seemed to lower his value just enough that Shero was able to pull off one hell of a heist. 

It was a bit of a gamble though at the time as SJ could have taken Niedermayer and we could have picked Pat Falloon, who was coveted by just about every team out there.  Glad it worked out for us though:)

• Like 1

Damn, I had only joined this forum a few months before this discussion got going, so apparently I never weighed in on this topic.  I wish I had, because I'm curious what I would've said.  At the time, I think I probably would've been intrigued at the idea of getting him, but I probably would have been of the mindset that we didn't have much to offer them - at least nothing that they'd be interested in.  I think I would've been open to dealing almost anyone, because at the time, although we all have our own sentimental favorites, we were pretty desperate for talent (and young talent at that), so almost no one was untouchable. 

10 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

It was a bit of a gamble though at the time as SJ could have taken Niedermayer and we could have picked Pat Falloon, who was coveted by just about every team out there.  Glad it worked out for us though:)

It's been discussed, but Toronto made some desperation deals to avoid finishing with the worst record overall, so that they were spared the embarrassment of watching the Devils select Lindros. 

I remember Falloon being the consensus #2 behind Lindros on just about everyone's board...one of those guys who you wonder about, with regards to what he might have done had he been in a better situation...almost like David Carr with the Houston Texans.  Seems like SJ was going to throw him out there no matter what, and when you look at his first five NHL seasons, they really weren't THAT bad, considering the circumstances (even though those numbers were obviously less impressive back then).  Just makes me wonder if he could've fared better on a non-expansion team...his second-year Sharks team lost 71 games. 

11 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It's been discussed, but Toronto made some desperation deals to avoid finishing with the worst record overall, so that they were spared the embarrassment of watching the Devils select Lindros. 

I remember Falloon being the consensus #2 behind Lindros on just about everyone's board...one of those guys who you wonder about, with regards to what he might have done had he been in a better situation...almost like David Carr with the Houston Texans.  Seems like SJ was going to throw him out there no matter what, and when you look at his first five NHL seasons, they really weren't THAT bad, considering the circumstances (even though those numbers were obviously less impressive back then).  Just makes me wonder if he could've fared better on a non-expansion team...his second-year Sharks team lost 71 games. 

He also didn't do himself any favors by not being in game shape for a good chunk of that ("Fat Balloon").

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

How’s that game worn Hall jersey you were “sold on”?

Terrible.  I threw it into my fireplace:)

7 minutes ago, devlman said:

I can't believe we only gave up Lars to get Hall. How does Chiarelli still have a job?

Probably because Connor McDavid single-handedly carried them to the playoffs last year. Things aren’t going so well up there this season though...

4 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

He also didn't do himself any favors by not being in game shape for a good chunk of that ("Fat Balloon").

I did not know that about him, though I do remember some questioning his dedication.  Again, one of those situations where if it had been better (maybe having some people willing to kick his ass a bit), it could've turned out a little differently. 

BUT, plenty of guys who don't ever figure it out at the top level of ALL professional sports.  Some guys get drafted by sh!tty franchises and still find a way to be that key first piece to a rebuild, even with everything initially stacked against them.  No excuses for Falloon.

1 hour ago, Marshall said:

I've heard Jeff Marek say on multiple occasions that when he first heard "Hall for Larsson" that he just assumed that it meant OEL in Arizona.