Zajac

Josefson

???

RIGHT WING

???

???

???

Gionta

LEFT WING MOVES: I'd like to dump Zubrus if we can, but if we have to go with him as our 4th line LW I'm fine with it.

CENTER MOVES: I'd really like to move Zajac to the 3rd line center spot.  He gets paid like a 2nd line center, but his offense is too inconsistent to justify keeping him there.  So if we can find a 2nd line center in the offseason, that needs to be done.  If not, we should go after Letestu as a bottom 6 center.  Center is not our biggest need.

RIGHT WING MOVES: This is where we have our biggest holes.  One of Tootoo or Bernier should be brought back.  I prefer Tootoo.  But we need two legit top 6 RW's.  IMO, we should go after Frolik and Ward.  There are other names as well that would be good, but those two names I think fit with this team the best.

With all that being said, here is what our depth chart would look like.

LEFT WING

Cammalleri

Henrique

Ruutu

Zubrus

CENTER

Elias

Zajac

Letestu

Josefson

RIGHT WING

Frolik

Ward

Tootoo

Gionta

I think both Bernier and Tootoo have exceeded expectations. One of them is a definite, if there was a way to put them both on the 4th line I wouldn't mind that.

Other than that, it's scary.

Oh and you forgot to put Clowe in there for the 5 games in the beginning of the season he'll be healthy enough to play.

First time in a while where I have no idea how to get out of this mess. The scary thing is, there is nothing standing in the way of icing a team this bad again next year. We have TWO (2) bonafide top 6 forwards in Camo and Henrique. Zajac played disgustingly bad this year (coming from a huge Zajac fan), Elias is running on fumes, and the rest are nothing more than spare parts. Boucher and Matteau aren't knocking down the door for an opportunity.

Only way out of this mess is drafting and that is dangerous.

I think both Bernier and Tootoo have exceeded expectations. One of them is a definite, if there was a way to put them both on the 4th line I wouldn't mind that.

Other than that, it's scary.

Oh and you forgot to put Clowe in there for the 5 games in the beginning of the season he'll be healthy enough to play.

Bernier's numbers this year are on par with what he did early on in his career.  Tootoo is putting up his normal 4th line numbers as well.  I think Clowe is done completely.

I would only bring one of Tootoo or Bernier back unless you get rid of Gionta.

And pickup who?  There's some good RW options, but some will probably require an overpayment.  Bernier or Tootoo are fine bottom 6 RW'ers.  I would prefer Bernier as 3rd line and Tootoo as 4th line RW'ers but we have Gionta signed for next year.

I would bring both back as they are finally being used correctly

I'm not against this, but I'd rather we get a skilled RW'er like Frolik.

First time in a while where I have no idea how to get out of this mess. The scary thing is, there is nothing standing in the way of icing a team this bad again next year. We have TWO (2) bonafide top 6 forwards in Camo and Henrique. Zajac played disgustingly bad this year (coming from a huge Zajac fan), Elias is running on fumes, and the rest are nothing more than spare parts. Boucher and Matteau aren't knocking down the door for an opportunity.

Only way out of this mess is drafting and that is dangerous.

We're not in a big mess. If we get 40 points from Elias next year, I'll be perfectly fine with that.  If you only focus on the top 6 quality, you're gonna overlook the importance of strong 3rd and 4th lines.  A lot of teams don't succeed in the playoffs without a good bottom 6.

Cammalleri - Elias - Frolik

Henrique - Zajac - Ward

Ruutu - Letestu - Bernier

Zubrus - Josefson - Tootoo

Bernier's numbers this year are on par with what he did early on in his career. Tootoo is putting up his normal 4th line numbers as well. I think Clowe is done completely.

And pickup who? There's some good RW options, but some will probably require an overpayment. Bernier or Tootoo are fine bottom 6 RW'ers. I would prefer Bernier as 3rd line and Tootoo as 4th line RW'ers but we have Gionta signed for next year.

I'm not against this, but I'd rather we get a skilled RW'er like Frolik.

We're not in a big mess. If we get 40 points from Elias next year, I'll be perfectly fine with that. If you only focus on the top 6 quality, you're gonna overlook the importance of strong 3rd and 4th lines. A lot of teams don't succeed in the playoffs without a good bottom 6.

Cammalleri - Elias - Frolik

Henrique - Zajac - Ward

Ruutu - Letestu - Bernier

Zubrus - Josefson - Tootoo

The Devils have the bottom 6 covered. Saying they don't need to focus on the top 6 is as rediculous as your playoff chance stats You always post. Edited by hystyk28

I'm hoping maybe Boucher, Matteau, and/or possibly Blandisi make the team next year. Really long shot but maybe even our 1st round pick this year. Maybe one RW by free agency or trade.

Here's what I'm hoping for:

Cammy-Elias-Boucher/UFA

Henrique-Zajac-Blandisi

Rutuu-2015 1st (Strome, Marner, Barzal, etc.)-Tootoo

Matteau-Josefson-Bernier

Make Zubs a press box extra. Maybe sign Gomez to another year and put him in one of the rookie spots.

There always the possibility (probability) all of those youngsters don't work out but I'd rather give a couple of them a shot than sign a bunch of aging free agents to long term deals. Let's hope the kids impress at camp.

Edited by Jerzey Devil

Whatever group you put together, it will just range from absolutely atrocious, to atrocious, to extremely ugly, to very bad.  Right now the Devils have a "checking line", and then a 4th line. I thought that way of thinking was long gone, but it's especially a disaster when the top 6 is just sh!t.

Edited by devilsrule33

Perhaps reading way too much into Lou's comments right after the trade deadline, and perhaps that he was evidently feverishly working the phones on deadline day with mystery folks in his office, I'll speculate he's angling for a trade for Kessel. The fact is, Toronto wants to get rid of him, but given his contract the destinations are limited. So that puts a team like the Devils in a pretty good position to make a trade after this year's draft where the main centerpiece is the 2016 first rounder subject to certain conditions perhaps.

The forwards look significantly less like a joke with Kessel there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Perhaps reading way too much into Lou's comments right after the trade deadline, and perhaps that he was evidently feverishly working the phones on deadline day with mystery folks in his office, I'll speculate he's angling for a trade for Kessel. The fact is, Toronto wants to get rid of him, but given his contract the destinations are limited. So that puts a team like the Devils in a pretty good position to make a trade after this year's draft where the main centerpiece is the 2016 first rounder subject to certain conditions perhaps.

The forwards look significantly less like a joke with Kessel there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't necessarily think that Kessel winds up with the Devils, but I think Lou definitely explores this.  On the surface, he's still pretty young (28 at the start of next season) and he brings a dimension the Devils sorely need. 

Of course, the reasons guys like him become available are often not good ones to the teams looking to acquire them.  The contract is scary (though the Devils could deal with that aspect better than a number of teams, with all of the money coming off their cap this season and next).  There's questions about his makeup.  Tri has pointed it out in prior Kessel discussions, but there's a good chance that the Devils will be (over)paying for the player he was, and not the player he is and will be.  And even if they can get him for a reasonable price now, if it blows up, they may not be able to move him down the line...meaning the Devils are stuck with a big hit for several more years. 

It's far from ideal for sure. 

I also think Lou needs to decide how he envisions Elias being used on this team next season.  If Elias flat-out doesn't agree with it, then Lou's gotta move him.  The Devils will have missed the playoffs four out of the last five seasons with Elias...they can just as easily miss the playoffs without him...not a slight on Patrik, but I'll take a pick or two over a one-last-year Elias that doesn't feel like he's being used correctly and is unhappy.  And I don't blame Patrik if he feels like he wants one last shot with a contender, playing on a team that will better cater to his strengths. 

Of course, Option 2 is the Devils can start the season with Elias and see how it goes...he can certainly be traded during the season or at the deadline, and who knows, if the Devils are clearly headed for another no-playoffs season and he's putting up some offensive numbers, maybe he fetches more than he would have during this offseason.  But I hope Lou isn't automatically committed to Elias staying through the end of next year no matter what.  I don't need to see Patrik play every last game in a Devils uniform to feel like his Devil career was special.  It will be no matter what.    

Looking at this team and the putrid drafting and seeing what the Rags have done makes me want to puke. And I expect nothing to change next year because Lou is in charge and he won't fire Conte, nor alter the way he approaches the draft selection or player acquisitions. We just need to ride the car until the wheels completely fall off and Lou retires in 4-5 years or so. I think that's the only way real change comes. 

Edited by slasher72

Looking at this team and the putrid drafting and seeing what the Rags have done makes me want to puke. And I expect nothing to change next year because Lou is in charge and he won't fire Conte, nor alter the way he approaches the draft selection or player acquisitions. We just need to ride the car until the wheels completely fall off and Lou retires in 4-5 years or so. I think that's the only way real change comes.

If you are correct, I am not saying you are not correct, the fan base will be down to a very small amount at home games.

Start with Gomez, Elias, Cammy, Henrique, Zajac, & Josefson. Every one else on offense goes.

Now build a team. Difficult, yes.

Mathaeu and Boucher don't belong, trade.

This can be done. Can't afford 2 or 3 more years of not making the playoffs.

Harris must step in using outside advisors.

Wish I could have whatever magic fairy dust you have there

Each of them are expendable, sorry. No one has the ability to carry this team and scare opponents. When Scott Gomez leads the team in points you know something is wrong.

On paper a trade for Kessel is a good idea but isn't that kinda move for Cup contenders? He's also on a bad Leafs team yet he's gonna make this team a contender? If this team is gonna rebuild then IDK if he's the answer. He's not that young.

82 game paces for our forwards.

Gomez: 52 points

Cammalleri: 51 points

Henrique: 48 points

Elias: 42 points

Bernier: 38 points

Zajac: 28 points

Gionta: 18 points

Tootoo: 17 points

Ruutu: 16 points

Josefson: 16 points

Zubrus: 11 points

The ones in bold are the ones we have signed for next year.  If they all produce the same amount of points next year, we'll be fine PROVIDED LOU FINDS UPGRADES OVERS THE GUYS WHO AREN'T SIGNED FOR NEXT YEAR.  Meaning, if Lou finds better players than Gomez, Bernier, and Tootoo, we'll be in good shape.  

And there's lots of good, not great options on the FA market.  Maybe we can trade for ROR or someone similar.  Center and RW is where we need the most help, more on RW than center.

Mike Fisher

Antoine Vermette

Kyle Brodziak

Jiri Tlusty

Shawn Matthias

Mike Santorelli

Mark Letestu

Carl Soderberg

Drew Stafford

Michael Frolik

Justin Williams

Joel Ward

Chris Stewart

Each of them are expendable, sorry. No one has the ability to carry this team and scare opponents. When Scott Gomez leads the team in points you know something is wrong.

On paper a trade for Kessel is a good idea but isn't that kinda move for Cup contenders? He's also on a bad Leafs team yet he's gonna make this team a contender? If this team is gonna rebuild then IDK if he's the answer. He's not that young.

why though?  if we were in a true rebuild, then yes we should go for extremely young guys, etc.

but thats not the case.  Kessel is a year younger than Schneider.  The idea is clearly to win a cup around Schneider, so whouldn't we surround him with guys that will be in their prime at the same time?  I honestly think Kessel would be a perfect piece to add... he plays the RW too.  we have a Defense in place, with a stud goaltender, we should add a Kessel, and a few other forwards and we're set.

obviously its easier said than done, but in theory that would be a prime scenario.

Henrique, Cammy, and Zajac are not expendable.

Henrique, Cammy, and Zajac are not expendable.

Is it too much to explain why?  Sure, they all have their good points.  They shouldn't be given away, but at the same time, if there's a deal out there that makes sense for the Devils involving any of them, I just can't say, "nope, not expendable".