Who will be the Devils' next captain?

thecoffeecake

I'd love to see Andy Greene, though I heard from a friend of a friend (admittedly as reliable a source as the security guard) that the powers that be think he's too critical, especially to the media, and they liked how Sal stayed positive.

As much as Salvador sucks, it isn't cool to discuss the next captain until the current one is no longer on the team. There will be a time for this discussion but IMHO, it's not now. If anything this should have gone in "The Official Rich Chere Clickbait Thread."

As much as Salvador sucks, it isn't cool to discuss the next captain until the current one is no longer on the team. There will be a time for this discussion but IMHO, it's not now. If anything this should have gone in "The Official Rich Chere Clickbait Thread."

Bryce who? The guy is basically off the team as it is. When is the last time he was even mentioned on the broadcasts?

Bryce who? The guy is basically off the team as it is. When is the last time he was even mentioned on the broadcasts?

I suppose I am just annoyed that Chere is behind this. He couldn't think of anything else headline grabbing so he went with the classic "Who will be the next captain?" I'm just tired of seeing his sh!t on the board. If it's in the thread title that it's Chere at least I have the choice not to click on it. Instead this site is becoming a bunch of 'surprise Chere' articles.

Edited by Neb00rs

I suppose I am just annoyed that Chere is behind this. He couldn't think of anything else headline grabbing so he went with the classic "Who will be the next captain?" I'm just tired of seeing his sh!t on the board. If it's in the thread title that it's Chere at least I have the choice not to click on it. Instead this site is becoming a bunch of 'surprise Chere' articles.

Well now you're just projecting your frustration about Chere onto a perfect reasonable discussion that any fanbase would be having if their team was playing ten more games before a new captain is named. A lot of Chere's articles aggravate me as much as anyone else, admittedly not all of them, but whether one of his articles was linked or not doesn't make this a discussion not worth having. This isn't him asking Elias left field questions about playing on the fourth line and sensationalizing it.

I think Greene is the obvious answer for me. Prior to the season, I was definitely on board with Zajac getting it, but I don't think that's happening after this season. Every time the captaincy is open, I 100% support Elias knowing full well he'll never wear it again. If it's true they don't want to go with Andy, I would be happy with Henrique.

I was going to say the same thing.  And even if he is still technically on the team, he's pretty much not Captain anymore - we've been dressing 3 Assistants for a long time now.

I really don't care who the next captain in terms of captain-esque qualities that people think are important. For all intents and purposes, Bryce was probably an excellent captain, just not an excellent player...not close to it. But he got the added pressure and vitriol because he was not playing well.

What I do care is if a player can handle the burden of being captain. All of the forwards face that issue moving forward if they are named captain. No one is going to be playing as poorly as Salvador, but Henrique and Zajac have already gotten some negative reactions from their contract. Those guys have enough to worry about as is.

Can't argue with Andy Greene. He's going to be the leader of the young defense anyway. In 4 years he can worry about similar negativity that Salvador got, but everyone in the room knows he is their best and most consistent skater. That's really all that matters. It's a good choice. 

Edited by devilsrule33

Stephen Gionta.

Because he just hustles so darn hard, and truly represents what the Devils have become: old, slow, and untalented.

I see what you did there. Now you're going to piss off the real fans that stand behind this team in solidarity. We're just a couple moves away from competing next year. 

Stephen Gionta.

Because he just hustles so darn hard, and truly represents what the Devils have become: old, slow, and untalented.

Hey, don't laugh, lol.  Gionta is a "Lou guy" above anything else, buys into the system 100%, and displays character. He may not have any talent but I could definitely see him getting the C.  

I see what you did there. Now you're going to piss off the real fans that stand behind this team in solidarity. We're just a couple moves away from competing next year. 

I don't know if I'm misinterpreting sarcasm here (and if I am, disregard this reply), but what, exactly, will the Devils be competing for next year with just "a couple moves"?

Hey, don't laugh, lol.  Gionta is a "Lou guy" above anything else, buys into the system 100%, and displays character. He may not have any talent but I could definitely see him getting the C.  

He's a Lou guy for sure, and I was only being partially sarcastic (unfortunately).  I could absolutely see him getting the "C" next year.. horrifying thought.