Devils 2014-2015 Off Season Thread

Jerzey

After talking about this team with my son last night I realized that Shero is basically doing what i want him to do, youth & speed, and it might take 2 more years, but hopefully in 2 years we can be where the isles are now, My concern is we donot have a taveres, which is key to where they are, but our goalie & D will be much better than the Isles, I still hope we can work out a trade for JVR, although I know its a pipedream.

• Like 1

If we weren't so loaded at defense, I'd love to give him a shot.  Isn't his contract up?

Yes, it is. He also doesn't seem to be in high demand (since he hasn't signed a new deal, or his asking price is too high), so you could conceivably get him way cheaper than you "should". He's as good as any of the D that went for 4-6 million on July 1st + younger. Then you can move one of Merrill/Gelinas for more assets. They're quite unlikely to become dmen of Franson's calibre. But, as someone will point out, they might not be that valuable so the return might be meh. But it's a way to build assets. 

Yes, it is. He also doesn't seem to be in high demand (since he hasn't signed a new deal, or his asking price is too high), so you could conceivably get him way cheaper than you "should". He's as good as any of the D that went for 4-6 million on July 1st + younger. Then you can move one of Merrill/Gelinas for more assets. They're quite unlikely to become dmen of Franson's calibre. But, as someone will point out, they might not be that valuable so the return might be meh. But it's a way to build assets. 

That's a very good point.  Why isn't he in higher demand, he had to have regressed in Nashville for his value to plummet like it has.  I want Franson before I'd want Ryan Wilson.

Gragnani is an interesting choice, has a lot of offense.  I guess they figure if Hraberenka's going to make the team they need PP guys for down there.

The nice thing is if Gragnani does well, he'll be nice insurance to both push Gelinas and also come up if he struggles or gets injured. 

That's a very good point.  Why isn't he in higher demand, he had to have regressed in Nashville for his value to plummet like it has.  I want Franson before I'd want Ryan Wilson.

Most likely because he had a really low PDO and got benched in the playoffs. But he drove play as he's always done. 

Link: Players that filed for arbitration

Gelinas and Larsson, for us.

Is this indicative of difficult contract negotiations?  Or just 'status quo'?

Given how much Shero had to do in a relatively short amount of time since being hired (hire coach, draft free agency etc.) I wouldn't be surprised if he asked the agents for Gelinas and Larsson to put these contracts off until after 7/1. In that case, this would just be the players protecting their rights.       

Given how much Shero had to do in a relatively short amount of time since being hired (hire coach, draft free agency etc.) I wouldn't be surprised if he asked the agents for Gelinas and Larsson to put these contracts off until after 7/1. In that case, this would just be the players protecting their rights.       

This is just status quo.  Even if Lou stayed on these guys would be going for arbitration because "if you have time, you use it" for the team and for the player.  Gelinas and Larsson want the most money and will use the tools they have get that just like the Devils will use what they have to make the best team possible.  I feel like Larsson will have a bridge contract for a few years while we give Gelinas a year contract to make sure he can learn the defensive side of the game.

I really like this because if I'm not mistaken, you can't trade an arbitration player either and I've always been on the stance that Gelinas can be a difference maker on a team rather than just a role player (like Merrill).  I want to see what Shero can do to get another RW or two in here.  He talks about competition but so far our team seems pretty set with this set up.  I'd love to see him sign Semin and trade for a RW.  With two extra NHL players, we can see actual competition rather than handing young guys serious roles:

Cam-Zajac-Palm

Rico-Elias/JJ-Boucher

Matteau-Elias/JJ-Kalinin

Ruutu-Gionta-Tootoo

Zub

IMO Elias belongs on LW only.  For JJ, it's time to fish or cut bait. You can't be on a line w/ Ruutu/ Zubie, & /or Tootoo and be expected to create offense. JJ's been in a checking role for the most part.  Kalinen is a center as well, maybe he can win a spot?

Maybe Shero will make a deal for another center with offensive talent, maybe Bozak.

I also think Semin makes a lot of sense for this team. It was really only this past season that he was all that bad. The skill is still there, and I think he can get back to being the player he was a couple seasons ago if he's given the right opportunities. Semin would almost definitely get top 6 minutes here unless the work ethic rumors are true (which, again, I'm not sure I believe).

He probably won't be good enough to help us get to the playoffs or anything, but he could be a good guy to trade at the deadline if he turns out. Better yet, he may even be a guy we keep around for a few years. If he doesn't turn out, I'm still having trouble figuring out what the downside is.

And honestly, I also want him here so that we have a couple exciting players to watch this year. Tired of boring hockey!

Wonder why it's been all-quiet on the Semin front (don't take that sentence out of context)?  I'm thinking he's KHL bound, personally.

Given the KHL's financial situation, I think Semin will stay in North America unless no one in the NHL wants him at an acceptable price.  I believe even Radulov has said he's coming back to the NHL once he's eligible for free agency. 

Given the KHL's financial situation, I think Semin will stay in North America unless no one in the NHL wants him at an acceptable price.  I believe even Radulov has said he's coming back to the NHL once he's eligible for free agency. 

Semin's agent stated he's open to signing a one-year deal in the NHL. I would give him 4 million for a year, why not?

Wonder why it's been all-quiet on the Semin front (don't take that sentence out of context)?  I'm thinking he's KHL bound, personally.

I just wonder how much "hunger" he has for this game any more? It's kinda like Mike Richards, has he hit a wall and finds it hard to get motivated to play as hard as he used to. I agree players don't lose the talent, just the hunger