Lou is New Toronto GM

William D'Aquila

I don't know how Lou's typically zipped lips will go over with the Toronto media, but I bet it will be amusing to watch lol. They won't like getting so much of the silent treatment. I wonder if we'll have to wait until tomorrow to see some stories on their newspapers' websites about their take on this...

Very good point. Lou in that situation dealing with Canadian media will be hysterical

NOOOO!

I told you fools.

I know, I wanted to miss the playoffs for another couple of years.

I don't know if I understand this from Toronoto POV. Great GM who will certainly make the Leafs a tight ship but long term I guess they are grooming Dubas.

This is what surprises me the most really. To go under that kind of stress with how the Toronto media is. Just doesn't seem worth it.

I would rather enjoy retirement lol

Same!  I mean it can't be money -  I'm assuming he's made enough throughout his career to be able to retire and just.. relax.  Spend some time with his grandkids, golf, be on a beach somewhere.. 

But then again, maybe he's one of those guys that just doesn't find the idea of retirement attractive.  Maybe he just enjoys the grind.  Maybe he really does think he still has 'it' (recent results would indicate otherwise).

Maybe Lou and Marty really are more similar than I realized.

• Like 1

I know, I wanted to miss the playoffs for another couple of years.

I don't know if I understand this from Toronoto POV. Great GM who will certainly make the Leafs a tight ship but long term I guess they are grooming Dubas.

yea thats what i was wondering, i wonder how many years he'll sign with Toronto.. this can't be more than like a 2 year contract right?

I don't know how Lou's typically zipped lips will go over with the Toronto media, but I bet it will be amusing to watch lol. They won't like getting so much of the silent treatment. I wonder if we'll have to wait until tomorrow to see some stories on their newspapers' websites about their take on this...

That will be extremely interesting to see. Lou will probably fail miserably up there. Hes 72...unless he is just there to lay a foundation?

FFS, some of the sh!t Im reading on HF and by Beetle is sad:

First of all, no words can express what Lou means to this franchise. Guy built a winner for two decades and obviously helped keep this team in NJ. The way he treated the players and fans should be noted as well. He is a deserved HOF who we can all be proud of to call our own. He truly deserves every bit of praise that has been showered upon him and I mean every bit.

With that being said, his act (both on and off the ice) grew stale. Bringing back re-treads, both players and coaches, looking for short term fixes to get out of purgatory, the secrecy was growing tiring, the lack of social media presence, the lack of players being able to have personalities. I dont really care about all that stuff, but a lot of fans do and they help pay salaries. There truly is not much to look forward to aside from a few young dmen and Pavel Zacha. Inviting fans to training camp and showing tons more videos helps. Sorry, but you cant be arrogant when you're team has been sh!t for the better part of 5 years. Like I said, it's stale.

The guy was here for over a quarter century with complete control. A new voice was needed and Im glad we finally one.

Good luck and thanks, Lou!

This was the first thing I thought of when my friend texted me the news.

What a shocker -- for me at least.

It will be nice to see Lou get some love from the larger hockey media now that he's in a hockey market. When he "stepped down" there was barely anything out there outside basic copy write ups.

Not fair for one of the most influential hockey people in the last thirty years.

It makes a ton of sense on paper - the Leafs operated without a GM all summer.  Lou isn't going to get total autonomy, it's going to be him Dubas and Shanahan making all the decisions together.  Then when Lou's ready to retire they can kick him upstairs as an emeritus.  Never thought this would happen though, even though it was clear from everything that's gone on that Lou no longer has any say in anything here.

Thank you Lou and everything you have done over the past 30 years for this organization.  Truly one of the greatest GM's of all time in any sport in NA.

That said I also believe it was time to move on and this makes it obvious that Lou wasn't exactly 100% truthful when he said it was his choice to step aside as GM and get kicked upstairs.  I really do think his Midas touch was slipping the last few years and it was just time to turn a new chapter in Devils history.  I think those comments he made at the end of this season where he said we are only a couple forwards away from making the playoffs sealed his fate as it scared the crap out of upper management/owners, and they decided it was time to step in.  I really can't fault them for that.

To be successful, teams have to learn to evolve and adapt and this is just the next chapter in Devils history.  This is a brave new world we are entering in and quite frankly I am both nervous and excited.

This was coming....okay, maybe not Lou getting another GM job so quickly, but there was no role in NJ for him. Shero had full control of the hockey ops, and the owners desperately wanted a different way of running a team on non-hockey ops. They gave him a new title, which was nice, but it was clear it was just a title.

It's possible Lou didn't even hate his new role, but this is a gigantic opportunity. Would he rather stay in NJ and stamp approval on Shero's moves and maybe debate the merits of twitter and periscope being used, or run a hockey team. Pretty easy.

Congrats Lou...now let's all ignore WD.

Edited by devilsrule33
  • Like 2

Cue William D'Aquil coming here to post after each and every single Leafs victory saying. See! told you guys! that's all Lou. And then come and post after every single devils loss...."So how 'about Shero now?"

What if the LEAFS win a game against the devils?  How bad will he be?