Around the League 15-16 Edition

devilsrule33

44 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

That's the type of deal where I'd be willing to part with Severson. It will never happen, but I'd build a package around Severson if this was ever some kind of serious consideration.

It'd have to be a lot more...probably a top forward prospect and an unprotected first rounder just to get them to listen. Especially with Severson getting scratched AGAIN today.

18 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I really don't get why so many people including his own management have it out for PK. He seems rather well spoken, charitable and determined to be a great player.

Then again I thought Cam Newton was unfairly persecuted too before his Super Bowl meltdown.

Yeah I don't really get it. Best player on his team team by far. Top 3 defenseman in the league, deserves every accolade and bit of praise that he gets. 

And then he really won me over with his $10 million charity contribution to that children's hospital. I know we see these guys as "overpaid millionaires who can afford it", but that's a significant chunk of change; it's really a lot, even for a millionaire hockey player. Relatively speaking, none of us would set aside more than a WHOLE YEAR'S salary for charity, would we?

And then people say their problem with him is that he's cocky. Kanye West is cocky. "Confident" is more the word, because he never oversteps the boundaries with what he says or does. But regardless, he's one of the best players in the league, let him be confident. But you can't question his commitment to his team, Canadiens fans, or even hockey fans in general leaguewide. The game needs more PK Subbans, as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by DJ Eco

9 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

It'd have to be a lot more...probably a top forward prospect and an unprotected first rounder just to get them to listen. Especially with Severson getting scratched AGAIN today.

I know we're only a message board and it's just for fun, but I think we need to stop acting as if  Severson is the sure-fire second coming of Drew Doughty.  Severson is a young right-handed defensemen with a nice amount of upside.  I keep saying he would probably be enough to land a player like Drouin because Drouin is for the moment literally doing nothing for Tampa.  He is not, however, even the major part in a deal for someone that's as good as Subban.  For Montreal to even listen, the deal would have to be something like Severson, two first round picks, not lottery protected, and probably Zacha.  Edmonton could blow even an offer like that out of the water, so there's not much of a point even discussing it. 

32 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I really don't get why so many people including his own management have it out for PK. He seems rather well spoken, charitable and determined to be a great player.

Then again I thought Cam Newton was unfairly persecuted too before his Super Bowl meltdown.

We're hearing a lot of this stuff second and third hand, so we don't even know if Montreal's management really "has it out" for him.  Kind of hard to believe that they do considering the amount of money they agreed to pay him.  The most we've heard, again at least second hand, is that Montreal is willing to listen to trade offers, evidently the same way they were willing to take offers for Pacioretti.  This season has revealed that Montreal's success is highly dependent on Carey Price, the same way that the Devil's success hinges on Schneider.  So if Montreal could pry two of Edmonton's top forwards that aren't named McDavid and more, you have to at least listen.  In the same way, if someone wanted to throw a ridiculous offer for anyone on the Devils besides Schneider, I would listen. 

Cam Newton was criticized for talking himself up as the greatest QB ever, then failing to deliver, and then not wanting to talk about it.  If I were a GM, I wouldn't care about that stuff unless it was somehow a distraction for the rest of the team, which I kind of doubt. 

Edited by Daniel

That's the type of deal where I'd be willing to part with Severson. It will never happen, but I'd build a package around Severson if this was ever some kind of serious consideration.

Yeah it would be very costly... They'll definitely fire Therrien before they move Subban though. They're probably just seeing what's out there to try and gauge his value.

Okay, can we stop talking about a Subban deal now:

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/963197?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

"P.K Subban isn't going anywhere," Dreger wrote Friday. "He's not being shopped and the Habs aren't calling around to see if there's a market for the $9-million star. And if calls are being received from rival (general managers) hoping to loot the train wreck that's the Canadiens' season, (GM) Marc Bergevin isn't listening."

Maybe it's because you guys are outside or the MTL market that you don't hear about all Subban's antics but my god eventhough he's a good player i'd truly doesn't want him on the Devils especially at that cap hit

On the surface he's flashy, fun to watch, has a canon for a shot, always gets lots of points, can hit, gives money to sick kids, looks fun.

But Subban is really an ass kisser who knows how to make himself look good and he's really really selfish. It's been said quite often that sure he's doing good but he's doing good for himself, it's not for the team. Guys that coached him once they were not coaching anymore all said the same thing. You never know if Subban is going to come out and play for the Habs or play for Subban. Then he's been called out omg so often by his own teammates in the medias. He got fined for diving 3 times just last year!! and he's been playing dirty after th whistle and cranking guys then run away from it and his teammates have to fight while he's skating away. He fought over 5-6 times with teammates in practices. He showed disrespect to his teammates, coaches, other players. But he gets away with it cause he's getting points and all. I remember seeing him scoring a winning goal in OT a few years ago and none of the vets went to see him, they just went straight to the locker room. That's telling. 

And plays like the other days shows how he's not learning. They need points desperately, they had control of the puck in the offensive zone with 2 minutes left. Instead of playing the clock and playing safe, nope, went for the flashy risky play at the blueline, buddy poked the puck from him and next thing you know it's 3-2 Colorado and they lost. A guy getting 8-9m a year shouldnt make that mistake after playing in the league for that long.

And i mean... sure it's generous to give millions to sick kids... but Bill Cosby also gave 20millions to a college... and well that doesn't make him a good person for that and erase what he did. 

But anyway, i know damn well this is like telling you all the dirt about that hot chick your buddy is into, he won't listen to you. None of you will care and would want to have him anyway so wtv lol

Edited by SterioDesign

25 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Maybe it's because you guys are outside or the MTL market that you don't hear about all Subban's antics but my god eventhough he's a good player i'd truly doesn't want him on the Devils especially at that cap hit

On the surface he's flashy, fun to watch, has a canon for a shot, always gets lots of points, can hit, gives money to sick kids, looks fun.

But Subban is really an ass kisser who knows how to make himself look good and he's really really selfish. It's been said quite often that sure he's doing good but he's doing good for himself, it's not for the team. Guys that coached him once they were not coaching anymore all said the same thing. You never know if Subban is going to come out and play for the Habs or play for Subban. Then he's been called out omg so often by his own teammates in the medias. He got fined for diving 3 times just last year!! and he's been playing dirty after th whistle and cranking guys then run away from it and his teammates have to fight while he's skating away. He fought over 5-6 times with teammates in practices. He showed disrespect to his teammates, coaches, other players. But he gets away with it cause he's getting points and all. I remember seeing him scoring a winning goal in OT a few years ago and none of the vets went to see him, they just went straight to the locker room. That's telling. 

And plays like the other days shows how he's not learning. They need points desperately, they had control of the puck in the offensive zone with 2 minutes left. Instead of playing the clock and playing safe, nope, went for the flashy risky play at the blueline, buddy poked the puck from him and next thing you know it's 3-2 Colorado and they lost. A guy getting 8-9m a year shouldnt make that mistake after playing in the league for that long.

And i mean... sure it's generous to give millions to sick kids... but Bill Cosby also gave 20millions to a college... and well that doesn't make him a good person for that and erase what he did. 

But anyway, i know damn well this is like telling you all the dirt about that hot chick your buddy is into, he won't listen to you. None of you will care and would want to have him anyway so wtv lol

It's about winning hockey games, which is ironic coming from me to you.

1 minute ago, Marshall said:

It's about winning hockey games, which is ironic coming from me to you.

Yes but my point is that he is some cancer in the locker room, having your locker room divided is not a great way to win hockey games. Which is what Subban created quite a few times apparently. 

I've played sports with guys like him. When you win its alllll good but when you're losing he's the last guy you'd want in your team

4 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Yes but my point is that he is some cancer in the locker room, having your locker room divided is not a great way to win hockey games. Which is what Subban created quite a few times apparently. 

I've played sports with guys like him. When you win its alllll good but when you're losing he's the last guy you'd want in your team

I take reports of black athletes being cancers with a grain of salt. 

4 hours ago, DJ Eco said:

Yeah I don't really get it. Best player on his team team by far. Top 3 defenseman in the league, deserves every accolade and bit of praise that he gets. 

And then he really won me over with his $10 million charity contribution to that children's hospital. I know we see these guys as "overpaid millionaires who can afford it", but that's a significant chunk of change; it's really a lot, even for a millionaire hockey player. Relatively speaking, none of us would set aside more than a WHOLE YEAR'S salary for charity, would we?

And then people say their problem with him is that he's cocky. Kanye West is cocky. "Confident" is more the word, because he never oversteps the boundaries with what he says or does. But regardless, he's one of the best players in the league, let him be confident. But you can't question his commitment to his team, Canadiens fans, or even hockey fans in general leaguewide. The game needs more PK Subbans, as far as I'm concerned.

Seriously. $10MM is a HUGE HUGE donation for the level of income he is making. Imagine donating over a year of your salary to a cause.

That is absurd and should be unanimously praised.

3 hours ago, Marshall said:

I take reports of black athletes being cancers with a grain of salt. 

Well here's the denial i was talking about lol ????? have you read what i said at all? NONE of what i said had anything to do with him black. It's all facts. We SAW on tv people dealing with him calling him out publicly. How often do you see that?

He FOUGHT teammates like 5-6 times! How often do you see that???

On 2/19/2016 at 1:04 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The general feeling I've seen towards the Rangers has been odd this season, among their faithful and those who cover them.  They weren't looking good there for a while, no question, and had some guys performing below expectations, but the conference is pretty wide-open and they still have Lundqvist (who's recovered from an ugly slump).  I get that people are starting to get impatient, and that the window might be closing, and that going deep into the playoffs is becoming old news for Ranger fans...but as long as Lundqvist is still in his prime, I think they still gotta go all-in for the next couple of years.  I don't think it ever should've reached the "blow it up" point this season, but it seemed like there were a lot of Ranger fans who were ready to throw in that towel. 

That's because it's not a great roster. The penalty kill stinks. The inconsistency of Kreider and Hayes are baffling. They also have the worst 4th line among any contender. Paille is a slug and is blocking Ryan Bourque due to AV's stubborn faith in vets. And Glass shouldn't be a regular even though he's given a better account. Unless they upgrade that line to help Moore out, it's hard to take them seriously. 

Most notably, you have opponents targeting McDonagh. The elbow he took from Komarov was vicious. They gave him a match and suspended him 3 games. My issue is that they aren't consistent and are too lenient on head shots. Why does Gudas get away with stuff? Head shots should be a minimum of 5 games. Plus a extensive review determining whether there should be a longer sentence. McDonagh is probably concussed for the second time in two weeks. If he is, I'd hold him out the rest of the regular season. It's not worth the risk. You should see the article on Eric Lindros written by Ken Campbell. Very interesting and excellent piece.

No McDonagh equals no chance. If they didn't have Yandle, they'd be screwed. So much for that being a bad trade. Yet fans continue to whine about it. Did Slats overpay? Sure. in terms of the 2nd rounder and conditional 1st. But he got Yandle at a bargain cost. And they are a Win Now team. He has 29 assists despite being misused at times by the coach. And is a must re-sign. They should just clear room. If that means saying goodbye to the low IQ Kreider at the Draft, fine. Miller has passed him by because he doesn't take shifts off and is always involved. Hayes is cheaper. So, he probably stays.

One further point on Vigneault. He doesn't trust McIlrath enough to play him consistently. For the most part, Big Mac has given a good account. He struggled against the Blackhawks and sat for long stretches. But they are the Blackhawks. What if McIlrath rode shotgun for McDonagh? Would opponent take liberties with our best skater?

It's a flat out disgrace how bad Player Safety is. Until they start getting tougher on head shots, the cheap shots will continue. At some point, they must send a message that the players will receive. Head shots don't belong in the game.

I'll take PK Subban on my team any day. He's a top 5 talent who backs it up. Love the passion he plays with. Tremendous character. Fun. Exciting. A huge weapon from the point. He messed up and it cost his team. It happens. The Habs are having a nightmare of a season. Therrien was wrong to call out his player publicly. Tortorella used to do that here and it became his undoing. Therrien isn't a good coach and never has been. Habs fans hate his lines. I would've fired him already but it looks like he'll last the year and then they'll make a change.

SD. I get your point on a player like Subban, who can be polarizing when things aren't going well. I love him. He's young and will only get better. If the Habs even entertained the idea of trading him, they should be shot. Montreal would go crazy. Habs fans would stop supporting them. That's how much PK is loved.

On February 20, 2016 at 9:45 PM, SterioDesign said:

Well here's the denial i was talking about lol ????? have you read what i said at all? NONE of what i said had anything to do with him black. It's all facts. We SAW on tv people dealing with him calling him out publicly. How often do you see that?

He FOUGHT teammates like 5-6 times! How often do you see that???

You also called Cammaleri a locker room cancer. Players change as they age. Stevens was out of control early in his career and developed into a great leader. I'd take PK and risk him not developing any day of the week. He's one of the best impact d-men in the game right now. 

1 minute ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

You also called Cammaleri a locker room cancer. Players change as they age. Stevens was out of control early in his career and developed into a great leader. I'd take PK and risk him not developing any day of the week. He's one of the best impact d-men in the game right now. 

Well he was lol he got traded in the middle of a game after calling out his whole team in the media... not as if im making things up here lol

There has been some talk of James van Riemsdyk and the Blackhawks, but it’s hard to see how the Blackhawks could fit in his $4.25 million cap hit for the next two years. Muir wonders if the Bruins would be interested in JVR to fill in for the soon to be traded Loui Eriksson. JVR would cost a high draft pick, a prospect and a young roster player.

the asking price is just over what i'd be willing to throw for him.

Our first + Gionta + Merril... Lou couldnt help himself and would jump on that though lol