GDT - Jerseys Team vs New York 1994's

'7'

The only reason Blandisi shouldn't be diving is because he is going to draw tons of penalties with how he plays.  He doesn't need the refs against him.

Anyway this was easily the most fun game of the year - Rangers forgot to show up after the first period, Devils just crushed them in everything after that.  Severson had a great game, Blandisi played well, Boucher, Kalinin, Zajac, Palmieri - ah, this game was just too great.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Triumph said:

The only reason Blandisi shouldn't be diving is because he is going to draw tons of penalties with how he plays.  He doesn't need the refs against him.

Anyway this was easily the most fun game of the year - Rangers forgot to show up after the first period, Devils just crushed them in everything after that.  Severson had a great game, Blandisi played well, Boucher, Kalinin, Zajac, Palmieri - ah, this game was just too great.

? no. The only reason Blandisi shouldn't be diving is because it's embarrassing to the sports and he's making himself and the team look bad. 

• Like 1

I posted something on twitter in a fit of rage about the attendance split that of course got retweeted by someone with a million followers (including rangers fans) so had to exercise the blocking finger quite a bit on there... thank god for that effort tonight because holy fvck were there too many rangers fans. But just like the last game at the Rock against them, we cheered last & loudest :)

Fortunately, the ones by me weren't too bad... so glad that stretch is over and we can go back to some all Devils crowds for a while. Pretty sure we just played the three worst fanbases in a row. Amazing that we took the season series from those scumbags. This team is far from perfect but they're far more entertaining to watch than anything we've had since 11-12, and no one can question their heart or effort most nights. Just missing that raw offensive talent most of the time.

1 hour ago, Steven M. said:

I posted something on twitter in a fit of rage about the attendance split that of course got retweeted by someone with a million followers (including rangers fans) so had to exercise the blocking finger quite a bit on there... thank god for that effort tonight because holy fvck were there too many rangers fans. But just like the last game at the Rock against them, we cheered last & loudest :)

Fortunately, the ones by me weren't too bad... so glad that stretch is over and we can go back to some all Devils crowds for a while. Pretty sure we just played the three worst fanbases in a row. Amazing that we took the season series from those scumbags. This team is far from perfect but they're far more entertaining to watch than anything we've had since 11-12, and no one can question their heart or effort most nights. Just missing that raw offensive talent most of the time.

I'm not even sure it was as bad, I had the same reaction at first. They filled in a lot of seats in the lower bowl, but it seemed to me on tv when they showed the entire arena after goals that there was definitely more red. Also the Devils crowd was immensely louder. Someone who was there would know better. But considering the New York sports market is the largest in the continent and Prudential Center being less than 10 miles from that border, it's amazing that these proportions are the largest Rangers groups we've seen in years.

4 hours ago, '7' said:

Rangers fans are always experts in attendance

"Aw damn we lost 2-1 to Minnesota last night...hey Vinny...can you check the box scores to see the Devils attendance? Thanks man. Gonna crush some puss at Djais tonight. And hopefully be home for the 2am broadcast of the 10 Greatest Moments at MSG!...you think they included Matteau!?"

Good work.

11 hours ago, CarterforPresident said:

Stempniak needs to be kept, not traded

If someone is willing to offer a 2nd-round pick for him, Shero has to jump on it.  I'd probably even take a 3rd-rounder for him.   

If Stempniak wasn't already 33 years old and had more of a history of offensive production, or the Devils were more firmly in the playoff hunt, I might be more inclined to keep him, but I still think it's about the future and not to trying to squeeze a playoff appearance out of 2015-16.  The Devils could always bring him back if they really wanted to next season (I think he's a bit of a one-year wonder myself...sometimes I think you just gotta sell high).  I don't think demand for him is going to be all that high in the off-season. 

11 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I'll one-up you. Name another Devils rookie who had this kind of an impact in his first 15-20 games? He's a kid. Finally, an electric player in a Devils jersey.

I remember Gomez putting up points right away when he came up...think he was over a point-per-game through 20 games (looked it up to be sure...yep, 5 G and 17 A for 22 points in his first 20 GP).  But I agree, Blandisi has been a fun player to watch in his first 22 games for sure...and though some guys have developed into terrific players here through the years, Blandisi has looked pretty good just about from the get-go. 

I think Hynes, Shero, and others will take care of the diving thing in house.  I'm guessing there was a bit of "Don't let that happen again kid" the first time, and now that it has indeed happened again, they'll come down a lot harder on him now.  I'm sure his teammates aren't thrilled about that stuff either, especially since as we know the Devils don't exactly rake in even-strength situations...they need every man-advantage they can get.  I still don't think Blandisi's diving is quite as offensive as some are making it out to be, but yeah, it's gotta stop now.  Next time it's gotta result in a benching or a couple of healthy scratches, but I get the feeling Blandisi's going to get the message loud and clear this time around so that (hopefully) never happens.      

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I don't think the coaching staff will come down hard on Blandisi for this diving call. It wasn't really a dive, similar plays like that happen all the time with players reacting similarly. Blandisi just has to remember he's being scrutinized more closely than other players for the near future. 

I mean we've seen players not be touched by a stick and react with a violent head whip and people don't get bent out of shape over it; other than during that actual game. 

Edited by Devils731

9 minutes ago, Devils731 said:

I don't think the coaching staff will come down hard on Blandisi for this diving call. It wasn't really a dive, similar plays like that happen all the time with players reacting similarly. Blandisi just has to remember he's being scrutinized more closely than other players for the near future. 

I mean we've seen players not be touched by a stick and react with a violent head whip and people don't get bent out of shape over it; other than during that actual game. 

Yeah but when you were the joke of the NHL just the week before and had to apologize. You'd expect him to not do anything that could be seen as a dive.

hes just got to tone it down a little which may or may not affect his overall game

flyers and isles were falling down so easy...but they wernt jumping up before falling down lol

hes probably playing a bit nervous which when he calms down so will his game, which you dont want

Edited by lazer

After the hysterical overreactions to Blandisi's embellishment, im totally over it. Couldnt care less. In fact, hes quickly becoming my favorite player. Its kinda enjoyable having a player on our team this hated, who produces. 

He embellished, twice. Both times, there were legitimate penalty's on the play he was trying to draw attention to. Lundqvist has flopped worse several times in his career. Giroux flops at least 2 times a game. Who cares?

Give em hell Blender!

• Like 1

What a game. Devils could've won 10-2 if it weren't for Lundqvist standing on his head for most of the game. Let's also not forget that incredible Schneider save when the game was 2-2; that save pretty much won us the game.

As for the fans, way too many Rangers fans there last night, it was unprecedented and sickening.

Devils fans' social media are obsessed with sh!tting on the Rangers every single day of the year and yet, no one can be bothered to show up to the Devils-Rangers home games. Pathetic.

For years, they've incorrectly exaggerated about outnumbering us in our own arena, but for the first time last night, I think it was true.

Edited by DJ Eco

24 minutes ago, Toasterleavins said:

He embellished, twice. Both times, there were legitimate penalty's on the play he was trying to draw attention to. Lundqvist has flopped worse several times in his career. Giroux flops at least 2 times a game. Who cares?

I care a little.

Both times we might have had a powerplay if he didn't try to sell it. After last night he's probably on a "watch list", if he doesn't shape up he will never get the benefit of the doubt when it counts. This kid has a lot of potential, no reason to carry on bad habits if we can straighten it out now.

I'm curious what the cost/benefit is on Hynes benching him for tomorrow's game; to make a statement to Blandisi, the team, and most importantly the league, that "this ends now".

Don't forget, Blandisi is another embellishment away from Hynes' ass getting fined.

Edited by DJ Eco

2 hours ago, Triumph said:

4 players have to be fined for the coach to get a fine.  Farnham, Tootoo, Blandisi - they need a 4th, or for one guy to rack up huge fines.  Neither seems likely.

I don't think it's 4 unique players, just 4+ total incidents for the head coach fine(s) to start kicking in. The chart is a little vague though. 

Rule 64 – Diving / Embellishment
https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-announces-rules-changes-for-2014-15-season/c-730165

Gulitti said "A fourth embellishment fine for a Devils' player would result in an automatic fine for Hynes, as well."
Chere wrote earlier (after Farnhams) "* For head coach, each fine issued to a player on his club counts toward total."

So based on that, next "fine" which is either another incident from the 3 players listed above, or a new guy to be hit twice?

Edited by squishyx
  • Like 1

On 2/24/2016 at 11:29 PM, Martyisth3b3st said:

Exactly. Here's the rule:

(NOTE 4) Any player wearing tape or any other material on his hands (below the wrist) who cuts or injures an opponent during an altercation will receive a match penalty under Rule 52 - Deliberate Injury of Opponents.

I'm not sure if it's funny or sad how terrible the Rangers' fanbase's grasp on the rules is, especially since the entire rulebook is right there on the league's website.  We saw a similar outrage over a clearly black and white rule when Carcillo was tossed for shoving a linesman in the playoffs a couple years ago.  Derek even has a sports blog and still can't be bothered to look up the rule before complaining about the call.

18 hours ago, Devils731 said:

That is how a person naturally reacts when they see a stick moving towards their face.  It's not to draw a penalty, it's to avoid being injured.

17 hours ago, Toasterleavins said:

He embellished, twice. Both times, there were legitimate penalty's on the play he was trying to draw attention to.

McIlrath was probably not going to get a penalty on that one, he was skating backwards and Blandisi skated straight into his hand.

Edited by devilsfan26

2 hours ago, devilsfan26 said:

McIlrath was probably not going to get a penalty on that one, he was skating backwards and Blandisi skated straight into his hand.

I partially agree with you... that probably would not have been called. But that's exactly the type of play everyone wanted out of the game after the lockout.. and exactly the type of play that would have been called the first season or two after the strike. The same rangers fans who bitch about Blandisi will bitch and moan about the devils "obstructing and interfering" with the rangers all night. It's ironic on this play that Mcilrath did the exact same thing the whiny rangers fans always accuse us of doing, but were all supposed to be outraged by the embellishment. Blatant hypocrisy. 

It just seems comical to me. 

I did a piece on the Devils-Rangers rivalry for New York Puck. It might resonate with some people here, maybe not with others.

From the West Side of the Hudson River Rivalry

Cake, great read brother. You managed to sum up my feelings on Rag fans from NJ quite well there... You nailed why the rivalry is so intense and so unique. Props to you sir.