GDT - Devils vs Wild - 3/17/16 - St. Paddy's Day Edition

DJ Eco

Merrill and Severson got yelled at by Hynes after that goal. Severson especially. Merril's poor dump turned it over and Severson blew the coverage as the pass went right through him. Doesn't matter whose fault it is, but good to see Hynes holding them accountable

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Well that was annoying that we couldn't get at least one of the guys a hat trick lol

Fun not though and hurting Parises playoff chances makes it even better. 

Exactly.  If we can do our part in hurting his playoffs chances and shut him down in games against NJ, I'm happy.  He was limited to only 1 shot, maybe two for the entire game.  Dope game.  Hopefully DS-P can continue to build off this game.  Sislo too, but that's a longer stretch than DSP even.  Kinkaid played okay and definitely bounced back I'd argue.  Henrique has 25 goals on the year after tonight.  

EDIT: Parise had two shots and an assist off of the Koivu goal.  I must have been in the bathroom when Minnesota scored that last goal.  I guess with 4 GA it was moreso a marginal game from Kinkaid, so I'll remain optimistic, but regardless, he had a few big saves tonight.  

Edited by RizzMB30

10 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Well that was annoying that we couldn't get at least one of the guys a hat trick lol

Fun night  though and hurting Parises playoff chances makes it even better. 

well considering were cheering for a team who's last in the league in goals and who either got shutout or lost by 1 goal all year long... i think we shouldnt be too annoyed for not having guys getting hat tricks haha

so it was nice to see the pucks go in when minnesotta played so terribly on defense.

but goodness - Kinkaid really is all over the place. When this team is ready to be good, I do not think he can be asked to play 20 games unless the devils plan to be .500 at best during those games.

and yes, another tough game for 7-28. there were some good things but too much negative that will hurt them. merrill got it worse as he was benched for the remainder of the 2nd after his second penalty.

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

well considering were cheering for a team who's last in the league in goals and who either got shutout or lost by 1 goal all year long... i think we shouldnt be too annoyed for not having guys getting hat tricks haha

But 3 guys with a chance and an empty net! Lol i mean one of them should have at least had a shot at the net at least lol

I actually attended tonight's game - good one to go to.  Only complaint would be that I was one section over from the vuvuzela guy.  Love that Blandisi had a good game and that Sislo finally managed to get on the board - twice!   DSP great around the net as usual.  Even Farnham was on 2 2 on 1s.

I was down at the end the Devils defend twice and so it was interesting to watch Merrill and Severson break the puck out - at one point Merrill could've hit Kalinin with a relatively easy pass and he just held on to the puck, deciding to circle back - what ended up happening was much worse than if he'd attempted that pass.  And that's just Merrill's season summed up right there - if he can't break the puck out, he's finished, because he can't do a lot of other things well.  I'm fine with bringing him to one more training camp - he's still got some skills - but he may have simply lost confidence here and may never recover.  This is part of the danger of being a bad team - it's more for your young players to overcome.

• Like 1

What a fun game to be at. DSP doing all the right things, Sislo finding the back of the net, and Tyler freaking Kennedy continuing his stellar play. The guy has been solid for two months. Would not mind bringing him back for depth next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sundstrom said:

so it was nice to see the pucks go in when minnesotta played so terribly on defense.

but goodness - Kinkaid really is all over the place. When this team is ready to be good, I do not think he can be asked to play 20 games unless the devils plan to be .500 at best during those games.

and yes, another tough game for 7-28. there were some good things but too much negative that will hurt them. merrill got it worse as he was benched for the remainder of the 2nd after his second penalty.

I brought this up in another thread...Kinkaid's OK for now, in that the Devils aren't ready to truly contend, and that their #1 goalie is a clear-cut #1 who will start 60+ games as long as he's healthy, and that Kinkaid makes chump change for an NHL player...he's not very good and will never be a starting goalie in the NHL unless the circumstances of his team are dire.  And yeah, if/when the Devils are thinking playoffs again, they're going to have to upgrade the backup position.  Good news is that by the time that happens, Kink will have already served his purpose as an inexpensive gap-bridger. 

Double-edged sword for Kink, in that he's getting to play every game, and that his general lack of ability is now on full display.  Basically the equivalent of most 4th-liners suddenly being asked to play meaningful minutes on the first line.  Usually doesn't work out (unless you're DSP, heh heh). 

I was rooting for the team in the green pants!!!!  hell. if we have to win its a great way to do it. crush zachs wannabe team. Ive been asking for sislo, and he finally took advantage of his chances. I still think theres a place for him in the nhl. I agree, merrills confidence is shot and he's over thinking , his sweet little regroup escape move is getting old and hes nowhere near the blueline force we thought we were getting. that neck injury seems to have changed him..then again it just may be the speed and size of the nhl game

That Vuvuzela guy posts on the FB groups.  Whenever someone says they do not like the horn he always comments all butthurt and says "well it adds excitement to a dead arena" or something along those lines.  He can't wrap his head around the fact that not everyone loves the horn and/or the chant and he gets bent all out of shape from even the most minor of criticisms about it.

http://www.prucenter.com/faq

It's amazing though how the Devils and the Prudential Center go against their own rules where there are no noisemakers allowed yet the let him in with a noisemaker and do nothing about it.  I am just baffled by this and the only explanation is that they want to pacify the cretins.

14 hours ago, RizzMB30 said:

I think that we also have to recognize that Kinkaid has had a pretty nice bounce-back tonight as well.  Had two pretty big split-kick saves in that 2nd period.  

Yes and no. He was alright. Most games we get scored 3 or 4 goals on, we lose 98% of the time; and the fanbase would be railing Kinkaid (or Schneider if he let in 4).

There are 2 things that bother me with KK's play:

1) He still tends to overcommit on almost every play and the opposition shooters can often read him like a book because of this.

2) His rebound control is awful.  He could barely hold onto any shot that came his way.  Same thing like in Anaheim and it lead to juicy rebounds.

So George Laraque as it all figured out. He says he knows why DSP is on fire lately.

1- Because he's not going out anymore cause he's in NJ and bars in Newark are way too dangerous at night according to Laraque.

2- Since he's not going out, then he's not drinking. Then saying that according to his sources, when GDSP is drinking, it's non-stop until morning.

He also added that since DSP is not there anymore Galchenyuk is not going out anymore either so that's why he's on fire too at the moment.

Gotta love MTL. 

4 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

That Vuvuzela guy posts on the FB groups.  Whenever someone says they do not like the horn he always comments all butthurt and says "well it adds excitement to a dead arena" or something along those lines.  He can't wrap his head around the fact that not everyone loves the horn and/or the chant and he gets bent all out of shape from even the most minor of criticisms about it.

http://www.prucenter.com/faq

It's amazing though how the Devils and the Prudential Center go against their own rules where there are no noisemakers allowed yet the let him in with a noisemaker and do nothing about it.  I am just baffled by this and the only explanation is that they want to pacify the cretins.

I don't even mind the chant...at least I didn't when that was the goal song. Now that it's not, I think moving on from it would be better than that annoying horn.

Additionally, as a musician, his off pitch attempts to replicate the song on a sh!tty 5 dollar plastic horn really bother me.