2016-2017 Lineup Thread

sundstrom

Based on lines today at practice, and what Hynes at least is saying early that he's going to rotate the young guys, I think a thread that discusses the lineup changes on a game to game basis may be warranted.

Today's forward lines per Fire & Ice:

Taylor Hall-Travis Zajac-P.A. Parenteau

Mike Cammalleri-Adam Henrique-Kyle Palmieri

Beau Bennett-Jacob Josefson-Devante Smith-Pelly

Reid Boucher-Vern Fiddler-Blake Speers

I agree that it's time to get Boucher in there but I do not like it coming at Zacha's expense. I'm not going to get too bent out of shape as I think Speers' time is short with the big club so that should shake itself out pretty quickly. I'd expect Kalinin to take Speers' roster spot anyway. But I don't love the idea of forwards being on such a short leash.

Or I'm just a baby, and like Zacha as the new hotness like every other Devils fan

I have only seen Speers make one mistake in the defensive zone that led to a fury of shots. Miles Wood just doesn't have hands or hockey sense to make smart plays along the boards, in the neutral zone or on the forecheck. He really needs to go down to develop. Jacob Josefson should always be in the lineup in at least a 4th line role.

I thought Wood had a  good game against Florida but a weak one against Tampa.

It wouldn't hurt my heart to see Josefson never play another NHL game.  What he brings on defense doesn't make up for the offense he's keeping out of the line up.  Zacha needs to play,  case closed. Fiddler on the other has looked fantastic. The Devils could still use a good playmaking center to pair with Hall.

Zacha could be hurt, or may benefit from watching a game from the halo, or might be rested so he can last the entire season since he's never tried an 82-game season...so many reasons not to worry about if he sits in Game 3 of the year

Edited by BlueSkirt
fixed games in a season

6 hours ago, BlueSkirt said:

Zacha could be hurt, or may benefit from watching a game from the halo, or might be rested so he can last the entire season since he's never tried an 82-game season...so many reasons not to worry about if he sits in Game 3 of the year

I understand this in maybe february. He played 76 games last season. If he isn't dinged up this is garbage. 

Edited by Marshall
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Marshall said:

I understand this in maybe february. He played 76 games last season. If he isn't dinged up this is garbage. 

Yup, only makes sense if he's hurt. A kid trying to prove himself in the NHL, especially not a first round pick for whom good things are projected, doesn't need rest in game 3, especially not after two days off. 

Practice lines this morning:

Taylor Hall-Adam Henrique-Blake Speers

Beau Bennett-Travis Zajac-Kyle Palmieri

Mike Cammalleri-Pavel Zacha-P.A. Parenteau

Sergey Kalinin-Vern Fiddler-Devante Smith-Pelly

We're not really going to try Speers on the 1st line, right? But more to the point, I can't stand this constant line shuffling. I understand we need goals, but can we let these guys gel together for at least a few games? I'd throw this out there and see what happens:

Hall-Henrique-Palmieri

Cammalleri-Zacha-Parenteau

Boucher-Zajac-Bennett

Kalinin-Fiddler-DSP

Extras: Josefson, Wood (Speers back to juniors)

Auvitu has been a definite bright spot among the defensemen and Quincey has been pretty good, too. On the contrary, the Moore-Lovejoy pairing has been downright bad. I think they should be broken up or maybe one sits for Santini (I'd give the benefit of the doubt to Lovejoy). Only problem with the latter is after Greene, Quincey and Lovejoy who is the 4th defenseman you can trust on the PK? And maybe Santini is just a case of the grass isn't always greener.

Anyway, those are just some of my thoughts through these first handful of games.

Edited by nmigliore

I like trying Speers on the 1st line, he's a skilled player so give him the opportunity to play with other skilled guys, if he swims you know what you have and if he sinks just send him back to Junior. I think his game could complement Hall and Rico nicely though, been curious to see him on the RW of that line since they made the decision to keep him for the start of the season.

8 hours ago, PacificDevil said:

Makes sense to try Speers on top scoring line - Hynes seems to like him a lot based on the quotes from AG's article so any line combo to try to generate offense should be considered 

That's the answer, they haven't scored at all, so they need to shake things up. 

I really like how Hall and Zacha looked together and would like to see them stay together for a while. They can rotate the RW spot until they find someone who fits but they should grow together as they are the future of our offense for at least 4 years. Maybe Speers should get a shot with them but that's a lot of youth on the "top" line. 

Hall-Zacha-Palmieri 

Cammy-Zajac-PA

Boucher-Henrique-DSP

Kalinin-Fiddler-Bennett

Wouldn't mind seeing Blandisi get a shot but I guess they letting Speers and Wood play their 9 games first.

Edit: Well forget the Speers stuff as he was just returned to juniors. I forgot about PA Parenteau anyway. But Santini is back up. Maybe he'll actually play.

http://fireandice.northjersey.com/mobile/fire-ice-1.174987/speers-returned-to-junior-team-santini-recalled-from-albany-ahl-1.1682108

Edited by Jerzey