The NJ Offseason Thread

Derlique

14 minutes ago, SMantzas said:

Not really commenting on his time in Pittsburgh. Just the deals he handed out to Moore and Lovejoy and trading for Prout.

Schlemko  and Quincey were decent, though.

I won't kill him for the Lovejoy or Prout deals.  A lot of us thought Lovejoy could be a useful player, and his contract isn't burdensome at all. The Prout trade is a little puzzling, although it wasn't like Quincey was going to bring back all that much in a trade.  Moore was an attempt to buy low on a defensemen that might have had some good upside.  Hasn't proven to be a calamity.

It will be very concerning though if Shero protects Lovejoy in the expansion draft. 

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

I won't kill him for the Lovejoy or Prout deals.  A lot of us thought Lovejoy could be a useful player, and his contract isn't burdensome at all. The Prout trade is a little puzzling, although it wasn't like Quincey was going to bring back all that much in a trade.  Moore was an attempt to buy low on a defensemen that might have had some good upside.  Hasn't proven to be a calamity.

It will be very concerning though if Shero protects Lovejoy in the expansion draft. 

You're right about none of these contracts being albatrosses. However, it does perhaps signify that Shero really loves the "heart and soul" and "grit" players. Sure, LJ and Prout's contracts won't kill you, but Alzner at 5 years, 5million per could. 

1 minute ago, SMantzas said:

You're right about none of these contracts being albatrosses. However, it does perhaps signify that Shero really loves the "heart and soul" and "grit" players. Sure, LJ and Prout's contracts won't kill you, but Alzner at 5 years, 5million per could. 

The Hall trade put to rest any notions of Shero overrating grit and heart, at least for me.  I think he saw LJ and Prout as low cost options that could fill roles (remember when everyone said how good LJ was supposed to be on the penalty kill).

I can't make any judgment on Alzner really, although the conventional wisdom seems to be that he's not that good.  But if Alzner ends up getting a big contract I imagine it will have much more to do with where he was drafted rather than thinking he's a good locker room guy. 

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

The Hall trade put to rest any notions of Shero overrating grit and heart, at least for me.  I think he saw LJ and Prout as low cost options that could fill roles (remember when everyone said how good LJ was supposed to be on the penalty kill).

I can't make any judgment on Alzner really, although the conventional wisdom seems to be that he's not that good.  But if Alzner ends up getting a big contract I imagine it will have much more to do with where he was drafted rather than thinking he's a good locker room guy. 

It's more than being a good locker room guy. The most annoying I hear from GMs, the media and message boards is the assumption that if a dman doesnt produce offensively, that means they are good defensively. Alzner comes with a triple whammy, so to speak. 1) He was drafted high. 2) His teams were largely good. 3)He hits and blocks a lot of shots. 

Devils acquire D Mirco Mueller and pick No. 143 from San Jose

New Jersey sends 2017 second and fourth round picks to the Sharks for Mueller and a fifth round pick

https://www.nhl.com/devils/news/devils-acquire-d-mirco-mueller-and-pick-no-143-from-san-jose/c-289970312

The New Jersey Devils today acquired defenseman Mirco Mueller and San Jose's fifth-round selection (#143 overall) in the 2017 NHL Draft for New Jersey's second-round (#49 overall-previously acquired from Boston) and fourth-round (#123-previously acquired from Nashville) picks in the 2017 NHL Draft.

Mueller, 22, has spent his entire career with the Sharks' organization, since being selected in the first round (18th overall) in the 2013 NHL Draft. He has spent the last three seasons splitting time with the club's AHL and NHL affiliates. Last season, he appeared in four games with the NHL club, scoring one goal and one assist. Mueller also skated in 62 games with the AHL Barracuda, notching two goals and 18 assists for 20 points and added five assists in 15 Calder Cup Playoff contests. In 54 career NHL games, he has two goals and four assists for six points and 17 penalty minutes. Mueller made his NHL debut on October 8, 2014 at the Los Angeles Kings.

The 6-3, 210lb. left-shooting blueliner started his professional career with a nine-game stint in Worcester (AHL). A native of Winterthur, Switzerland, Mueller played youth hockey for Swiss development clubs in his hometown and in Kloten. He has represented his home country at World Junior under-18 and under-20 competitions. Following his time in Switzerland, Mueller came over to North America, where he played two seasons (2012-13 & 2013-14) with Everett of the Western Hockey League.

Edited by LittleBallofHate

16 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Never easy to lose a pet. Condolences to Palms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True, had three cats for quite a while, had to put them all down in a three-year period, due to old age and failing health (one made it to 17, another to 13.5, and the last to 16).  After the third, me and the wife thought we'd take a break from pets for a while...that lasted about a week.  We met up with a RagaMuffin breeder (they're very similar to Ragdoll cats), and about six months later, we had a 4-month old RagaMuffin kitten...but those six months without a cat felt very, very strange.  Yeah, feel for Palms, amazing how much those animals come to mean to you.  Like one of the family, truly. 

• Like 2

For those that want to keep Keith (though I'm not sure how he'd feel about jumping to the NYR. I remember when he chose to sign with the Devils because Marty was his Idol) :evil:

Andrew Gross‏ @AGrossRecord  

#Devils should be at least a little bit worried with #NYR now needing a backup goalie and Keith Kinkaid an impending UFA.

57 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

For those that want to keep Keith (though I'm not sure how he'd feel about jumping to the NYR. I remember when he chose to sign with the Devils because Marty was his Idol) :evil:

Andrew Gross‏ @AGrossRecord  

#Devils should be at least a little bit worried with #NYR now needing a backup goalie and Keith Kinkaid an impending UFA.

Uhh should they? KK hasn't really shown me anything. The guy they just traded is miles better. 

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Uhh should they? KK hasn't really shown me anything. The guy they just traded is miles better. 

I think KK could be a very solid backup on a good team. He played better than Cory a lot of last season. 

Edited by Nicomo

I'm taking a hard look at looking at the UFA listings

Just interest in terms of filling voids, more of a wish-list we can pick and discuss from.

A few names that stand out, to me at least are:

Shattenkirk, Smith(NYR), Daley are defensemen that can play at least top 4 time. I'll throw Campbell, Franson, Alzner, and say Del Zotto into the mix as well.

I'm worried about Shero going after a Dumoulin or Despres type still due to sh!ttsburgh connections.

As for forwards, I'm looking at Radulov(meh), Jagr(He can add, might not be re-signed), Vrbata, Fisher, Boyle, and maybe Williams for good measure.

As usual, pickings are slim, but we have space to make a splash. What are you guys thinking for July 1st?

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

On 6/24/2017 at 1:15 PM, RizzMB30 said:

I'd be willing to take a risk on some Jagr magic again.

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

On 6/24/2017 at 1:12 PM, mfitz804 said:

I would LOVE bringing Jagr back!!

I thought we were trying to get faster?  He was great to watch for the almost two years he was here but that ship has sailed IMO.  He couldn't really keep up with Barkov and Huberdeau anymore.     

Edited by Lateralous

49 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Any interest in Jordan Weal? Young player quick and skilled nose for the net. 

Seems to fit the philosophy Shero is going for in the team. 

I'd be interested. Between the 1/2 draft pick thing and stealing a young UFA from them it'd make games between us and the Flyers interesting again since we're both bottom feeding teams still at the moment.

3 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I thought we were trying to get faster?  He was great to watch for the almost two years he was here but that ship has sailed IMO.  He couldn't really keep up with Barkov and Huberdeau anymore.     

He still has great hands, and if he was our slowest player that would not be a bad "slowest player" to have. But honestly, I just think he's funny as hell and I'd let him hang out for a year and mentor the kids. 

22 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

No thanks to Jagr.

The guys hard, clearly, but the Devils have (seemingly) managed to shed that "country club" atmosphere that I absolutely despised.

No more vets just showing up to collect their paychecks.

I'm not sure that's a fair assessment of what Jagr did while he was here. I mean, the one full season he was here he led the team in assists and points and was one behind Adam Henrique for the team lead in goals. And he led the team with a +16, the closest guy after him was +3. At age 150, he missed leading in all of those categories by one goal. What more could you have asked of him?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I'm not sure that's a fair assessment of what Jagr did while he was here. I mean, the one full season he was here he led the team in assists and points and was one behind Adam Henrique for the team lead in goals. And he led the team with a +16, the closest guy after him was +3. At age 150, he missed leading in all of those categories by one goal. What more could you have asked of him?

I think it was the following season that some have an issue with...you definitely saw more of the old, moody Jagr that year.  He couldn't have been more of a team player that first year though...I remember after one win, after he was announced as one of the three stars, he told the crowd not to give up on the team, that they were close to playing better and that it would soon click (they did play better for a while, but never for long enough).