Nico or Nolan

caron14

Article from the NYT from a few weeks ago - it has some interesting bits about Nico: 

- he models his game after Datsyuk

- Guy Boucher speaks very highly of him

- Tommy Albelin is more tough love 

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/22/sports/hockey/nhl-draft-nico-hischier-swiss.html?_r=1

Snippet: 

United States Coach Bob Motzko said Hischier was the best player the team saw at the (world juniors) tournament.

“We tried all four lines against him, and I thought he was playing every shift, because every time he got out there, the ice was tilted,” Motzko said.

Hischier’s solid showing at the tournament propelled him into the top three in ISS Hockey’s January rankings.

“I’ve seen guys go from the 20s to the top 10, but I don’t really recall the last time we had a guy go from 20s to contending for No. 1,” said Dennis MacInnis, the ISS Hockey scouting director.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, andy said:

I've seen enough top prospects wash out in baseball because of injury issues that I'm more interested in Nico.  Nolan seems to be hurt every year, why expect that to change?

Especially when playing against much bigger, stronger, faster competition. It is a real concern, some guys are injury prone.

• Like 1

On May 12, 2017 at 9:56 PM, andy said:

I've seen enough top prospects wash out in baseball because of injury issues that I'm more interested in Nico.  Nolan seems to be hurt every year, why expect that to change?

Baseball injuries that make great prospects flame out is a pitcher thing, which is unique to what they do. 

I imagine Nolan is going to get a physical as part of the draft process and they'll know if his injuries are of the debilitating long term sort.  If he has a clean enough bill of health, he's the guy I'd go with.  

The obvious pick is Nolan Patrick if healthy. He had a better -1 draft season than the majority of draft eligible players. His release is elite, I was watching video comparing his 15-16 season to Zacha draft year and his shot blows Zacha's out of the water. For a 6`3 traditional type center to have that sort of release you have to think Getzlaf. 

Patrick's -1 draft year he had 54 goals in 93 games for a .58 goals per game. He averaged .79 assists per game.

Zacha's +1 draft year 32 goals in 58 games for a .58 goals per game. He averaged .74 assists per game.

Remember how amazing Zacha was during his +1 season? Well Patrick was better than him a year before his draft season.

35 minutes ago, Jas0nMacIsaac said:

The obvious pick is Nolan Patrick if healthy. He had a better -1 draft season than the majority of draft eligible players. His release is elite, I was watching video comparing his 15-16 season to Zacha draft year and his shot blows Zacha's out of the water. For a 6`3 traditional type center to have that sort of release you have to think Getzlaf. 

Patrick's -1 draft year he had 54 goals in 93 games for a .58 goals per game. He averaged .79 assists per game.

Zacha's +1 draft year 32 goals in 58 games for a .58 goals per game. He averaged .74 assists per game.

Remember how amazing Zacha was during his +1 season? Well Patrick was better than him a year before his draft season.

It all boils down to the injury issue really. If Partick isnt injured i am guessing he is the consensus number 1? 

I personally would be a lot less skeptical if he had only been injured once in his junior career. But he has had multiple periods of absence which is a concern. 

NJ has always been able to school prospects and new players to be responsible defensively, sometimes at the detriment to their offensive game. Nico is a skilled player, he can learn whatever system is in place and doesn't have the injuries. He also won't lose the great hands he has around the net to be responsible defensively. I guess I'm in the minority who leans toward rather having Nico. 

I'm leaning on the Nico side as well, I love both players to be honest, but The injuries concern me. It could be nothing and he could come here and be our next superstar for the foreseeable future or it could be a waste if hes getting injured year after year. I watched their highlight reels and I don't think we'd be losing either way we go and to be honest, but Nico seemed to have a more gritty devils style to him. I was almost picturing him in the jersey watching him score some of his goals. I'll be happy with either but my head nods to Nico

I hate that the Flyers will take whoever NJ doesn't, but I was worried about their last top 5 pick or whatever too and Couturier didn't pan out into anything too special. I'm hoping whoever ends up in Philadelphia is a "Simon Gagne" max. God forbid they get another Giroux. 

Finally got around to watching highlights of both and these guys and I noticed a lot of Nico's highlights started in the offensive zone while Nolan's were all over (entering the zone, cycling, etc.).  It really seemed to me like Nolan was the type of player that drove play and got things going.  Nico was great to watch but I see him as more as a top end complementary player.  Nolan is something this team really needs.  He can carry, pass, shoot.. everything.  I can't see how Shero doesn't select him.

The injuries certainly suck and I believe they keep this argument alive, otherwise Nolan is the clear answer.  But I'm hoping that as he gets bigger and stronger and starts working out with the best trainers available at the NHL level, he's able to get over it.  And on the other hand, if the Devils don't pick him, I hope none of that pans out and the Flyers bust.

20 hours ago, Daniel said:

Baseball injuries that make great prospects flame out is a pitcher thing, which is unique to what they do. 

I imagine Nolan is going to get a physical as part of the draft process and they'll know if his injuries are of the debilitating long term sort.  If he has a clean enough bill of health, he's the guy I'd go with.  

Fernando Martinez a few years ago and Travis d'Arnaud right now 2 position players that are/were always hurt.  

11 hours ago, Crisis said:

Finally got around to watching highlights of both and these guys and I noticed a lot of Nico's highlights started in the offensive zone while Nolan's were all over (entering the zone, cycling, etc.).  It really seemed to me like Nolan was the type of player that drove play and got things going.  Nico was great to watch but I see him as more as a top end complementary player.  Nolan is something this team really needs.  He can carry, pass, shoot.. everything.  I can't see how Shero doesn't select him.

The injuries certainly suck and I believe they keep this argument alive, otherwise Nolan is the clear answer.  But I'm hoping that as he gets bigger and stronger and starts working out with the best trainers available at the NHL level, he's able to get over it.  And on the other hand, if the Devils don't pick him, I hope none of that pans out and the Flyers bust.

I don't know what highlight pack you were watching, but Nico continuously carries the puck all the way from DZ to OZ, strips opponents of the puck etc. 

How many players bust in the NHL due to non concussion related injuries? Some guys are hurt often enough, but how many flame out completely because of a bad this or that? Nolan missed a lot of time this year with that upper body injury, do we know if that could be a concussion?

7 hours ago, Marshall said:

I don't know what highlight pack you were watching, but Nico continuously carries the puck all the way from DZ to OZ, strips opponents of the puck etc. 

WJC highlights are an example.

I'm sticking with Nolan as my pick, even after doing lots of reading.  It seems like he'd be the undeniable consensus #1 if the injury concerns didn't exist.  That, for me, is most important.  

Get this kid into a professional system with a nutrition program and state of the art medical and training teams and I think the injury thing disappears.

And to add to my YouTube highlight scouting report, it was pretty awesome to see that more than half of Patrick's highlights involve Quenneville.  I know the Hall-Henrique lovefest died out pretty quick but cmon, that's gotta tip the scales a bit for Nolan, right?

1 hour ago, Crisis said:

And to add to my YouTube highlight scouting report, it was pretty awesome to see that more than half of Patrick's highlights involve Quenneville.  I know the Hall-Henrique lovefest died out pretty quick but cmon, that's gotta tip the scales a bit for Nolan, right?

Also, I really do not want the Devils to be the reason that any chemistry between Provorov and Patrick gets reignited.

That said, I am warming up to Nico more and more. Still nearly 100% hoping for Patrick, but Nico's skill is undeniable, regardless of whether it'll translate completely to the NHL level. At this point, though, I think taking Patrick is the right choice.

Other than his shot and a nice pass here and there I have seen absolutely nothing in the Patrick highlight reels that impresses me much. Most of the time he seems to be floating around without too much interest in the game. Since we're trying to build a fast team, I don't think Patrick fits into these plans too well. Add the injuries and Nico is my clear #1 by a mile.     

19 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Get this kid into a professional system with a nutrition program and state of the art medical and training teams and I think the injury thing disappears.

If you are a projected 1st overall pick your agency will have provided you with those things. I'd be shocked if he's currently lacking any of that.