2017-2018 Out of Town Thread

Daniel

Just now, Martyisth3b3st said:

This is a fvcking nightmare 

The 2nd WC will get Tampa. The 1st WC will get Washington or Pittsburgh

Oops I got messed up in the standings. But yeah, out of all those teams I feel more comfortable against TB, we've played real solid against them this season. Maybe Pittsburgh also, Washington not so much.

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

I don’t care who they get, just get in. Fans need it and Hall deserves it. 

But man didn't you hear? We aren't making it this season. Stop getting your hopes up. NO chance we're making it this year, the few Nostradamus' on this board have said so. Stop being so optimistic, be realistic.

Just now, Nicomo said:

Boo birds are out in MTL lol

As I've said, as someone that lives in Quebec ands that constantly see the Habs decisions, I can tell you they should be they laughing stock in the NHL. They are literally killing the franchise one step at a time. Bad trades, bad management of prospects, overrating players, etc. etc. Plus, their fans are completely clueless. 

TEAMS - GP - PTS - GR - MAX - DIFF
1)PHI - 73 -  85 -  9 - 103 - (+1)
2)CBJ - 73 -  85 -  9 - 103 - (+1)
4)NJD - 72 -  82 - 10 - 102 -  (E)
3)FLA - 70 -  79 - 12 - 103 - (+1
)

Panthers D was solid in the final 3 minutes on the 6 on 5. Shutout for Luongo, he gave his team a chance. Both Blue Jackets and Panthers played with a high level of poise expected this time around.

2 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

We also do against Nashville and we won. I don't know, as of now I have a 50/50 feeling for this game. I think that if Schneider gets in, he has a solid one for us. 

The fact that the Sharks beat us 3-0 when we were playing much better early in the season doesn't give me much hope

1 hour ago, Devs3cups said:

As I've said, as someone that lives in Quebec ands that constantly see the Habs decisions, I can tell you they should be they laughing stock in the NHL. They are literally killing the franchise one step at a time. Bad trades, bad management of prospects, overrating players, etc. etc. Plus, their fans are completely clueless. 

i 200% agree with this.

Plus they somehow are convinced that Tavares would sign there this summer. lololololol

• Like 1

Frustrating night, but mostly with the BJs.  I made a point of mentioning that the Canadiens had actually been pretty good in their home games lately, but you can't count on them for anything at this point.  The Devils have a game with them on 4/1 (kinda wish it wasn't on April Fool's Day)...that's one game that I say the Devils better go out and win, because the Canadiens can't be less out of fvcks to give at this point. 

Marchand and Boston not giving the Devils any help against the Panthers and BJs is really making me hate them a lot, BUT, they can make it up to us with some wins against the Panthers (three more games against them) and the Flyers (one more game).  Four out of the Bruins' final six games are against the Panthers and Flyers...they will have a lot of say in how this thing shapes up.

Not much head-to-head between the Devils, Panthers, BJs and Flyers...only game that I see is left is the Panthers - BJs on 3/22. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Devs3cups said:

Their fans aren't 100% clueless.  A guy on another forum I frequent just came back a week or two ago, and posted this rant yesterday:

AHH - it's been a long time since I unleashed a rant. So grab a snack and a comfy place to sit and let the old man have a blab.

We all have gripes about our team from year to year. Being a lifelong fan of the Montreal Canadiens, I've experienced Cup wins, near misses, and I've experienced some disasters. Here's my gripe and observations as a bitter fan.

*deep breath*

The Habs have hired a GM with a "five-year plan" who is currently on his sixth year looking to rebuild. He brings in a coach with a defensive minded philosophy and tries to ram that square peg in the round hole. The owners have fooled themselves into believing that there's no options (due to the lack of available French speaking candidates with experience) so they stay the course and seem unwilling to make the hard decision and admit defeat.

So the team appears to run in circles chasing its tail.

Four years ago, fans were excited at the prospect of having a deep run in the playoffs. We had a lunchbucket team with confidence and swagger. The players could score goals, the defense was solid, Carey Price was in legendary form, and for once playoff hockey in Montreal was super-exciting. Since then, the wheels have fallen off and the magic disappeared.

A bunch of things hurt the team, Price injury aside.

1) Trading away Subban - his persona and play didn't fit the "Montreal Canadiens" philosophy. Which is too bad, since teams need to evolve and get with the time and stop clinging to tradition and deifying old stars. The game has changed, and the teams that are successful in the modern era have evolved (look at Chicago, Boston, etc). Their brand of hockey has changed with the times - Montreal's has not. And having a high profile player like Subban rubs the old goats in Quebec the wrong way.

But if the Molson family and Bergevin would have kept an open mind and been patient to let Subban mature, he would have been good captain material. Snubbing him and giving the captain to one of the weakest links on the team surely knocked the train off the tracks.

This is the modern version of the Chris Chelios situation. Look it up - the similarities are eye-opening.

2) Pacioretty as captain - A captain leads his team by word or by actions. Max Pacioretty is NOT captain material and I will fight anyone to the death who tries to convince me otherwise. Ever since the Chara+stanchion incident, Max has been a fragile broken player. He scores all his goals from one spot on the ice and is a poor back-checker (not his fault - that's coaching and I'll get to that in a minute). His reward is a captaincy? To light a fire under him? All this new responsibility has done is force him to take stupid untimely penalties because he feels he needs to play with more of an edge.

Here's a guy who COULD be a perennial 30 goal scorer relegated to being a decoy with a limited bag of tricks for scoring. So you make him back-check. You make him make the decisions and be the voice on ice. I truly believe that being given the captaincy in Montreal is like receiving the kiss of death in The Godfather movies. It's only a matter of time for Montreal to cast off Pacioretty because you don't demote a captain according to the "old code."

I also believe Pacioretty was given the captaincy as a silent way of giving Subban the finger.

3) Coaching philosophy - Let's see here... bringing back two coaches with the same defensive philosophies that the team let go in years prior because scoring was an issue... and now the main problem is scoring goals. You don't have to be Nostradamus to predict that.

French Canadians at the helm of a hockey club often promote defensive play over everything. Julien, Therrien, Gainey, Boucher, and the list goes on and on. But outside of Claude Julien, how many of those teams have had success with that plan in the current NHL...

Claude Julien was blessed with a team of goal scoring back-checkers in Boston. He was a good fit there. In Montreal, he has a mixed bag of players who have some offensive upside but poor defensive tendencies. His coaching style doesn't permit the sniper to be a sniper. They are given defensive assignments, and over the course of a game, these guys who aren't hardwired to play defensively look terrible, their play suffers and they can't score goals.

The only way Julien will be successful as a coach if the team is loaded with Selke candidates, and the defensive anchors can assist on the counter attack. The Habs have limited options for that, so it ends up being a long year of the same result. Aggressive hockey for the first 5 minutes, score quick goals then settle into a trap/box/perimeter pattern for the remaining 55 minutes. Hang on hockey doesn't work anymore.

4) Wasting money and wasting talent - How many players have been shoved into the lineup with the expectations that there will be some sort of offensive output and great defensive play? Andrew Shaw is our saviour. Dwight King! Dale Weise! Tomas Vanek! Rene Bourque! This list goes on and on. Yet, these players are forced into a offense/defense mode and can't establish any chemistry with their linemates, contribute regularly or conform to the "Montreal way."

Here's another issue. "Let's draft a gifted center and throw him on the wing and stunt his development. Then when we need help down the middle, we'll trade away our best defensive prospect for a winger that we'll put at center and stunt his development."

No one would actually say that, but the actions of Canadiens personnel management SCREAM this. It's this mismanagement that drives me absolutely bonkers.

I didn't hate the Drouin trade. But I do hate that his skill set is being wasted and his development will go to rot playing a role he's NOT DESIGNED FOR. All the problems Galchenyuk has comes from poor line placement and coaching. He's a center with an offensive upside. He needs development on the defensive aspects of being a center - work HARDER on that. But it's easier to flop him over to the wing in a different role and expect to just look pretty and score goals in a position that isn't instinctively natural for him. Then get mad when he can't score and blame it on his lack of experience at center.

FIX THE PROBLEM BY FIXING THE PROBLEM - not creating a NEW problem and blaming it on the old one.

I could go on and on, but this season is a wash, players are getting injured, coaches are still getting paid, and fans are still paying for overpriced tickets and concessions for an AHL caliber team.

Marc Bergevin, GO fvck YA SELF.

Not saying it's all 100% accurate or that everyone should share his opinion, but he's a diehard Habs fan, knowledgeable about the sport, and a pretty smart guy in general, so I give him the benefit of the doubt.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Their fans aren't 100% clueless.  A guy on another forum I frequent just came back a week or two ago, and posted this rant yesterday:

He basically pointed out most of the things I’ve said in my initial post, but in way more detail. Everything said here is true.