Roster Musings

EdgeControl

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Johansson activated off of IR and is good to go for tomorrow, but, because we apparently are never going to be able to ice a fully healthy lineup, Bratt didn't practice today and is listed as day-to-day: https://mobile.twitter.com/amandacstein/status/943534966293614595

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone remind me what happened to him last game.  I don't remember seeing him get hurt, and he scored a timely goal to tie the game which was later in the 3rd I think, so whatever happened, it must have been towards the very end?

Looking forward to having Johannsson back, but curious how he will fit in and gel with the guys.  He's hardly played at all this season.

7 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Bratt blocked a shot off his foot before he scored the tying goal.  Wouldn't be the worst thing to sit him out for the next two games, they could IR him retroactive to the 19th and have him back for Wednesday's game against the Wings.

Ah gotcha, yeah I don't think I saw that.  Guess we'll see.  Kinda feel the same way, wouldn't mind letting him heal, now that we have MoJo back.  I'm of the opinion that, with injuries like this, the player should get to decide if he wants to play or not.

54 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Ah gotcha, yeah I don't think I saw that.  Guess we'll see.  Kinda feel the same way, wouldn't mind letting him heal, now that we have MoJo back.  I'm of the opinion that, with injuries like this, the player should get to decide if he wants to play or not.

For me it' the oppsite, the young players want to show themself so it' better for the coachesto say you sit this one out.

I think Mojo played better and better and was starting to be very good just before his second injury

1 hour ago, hrasvalg said:

For me it' the oppsite, the young players want to show themself so it' better for the coachesto say you sit this one out.

I think Mojo played better and better and was starting to be very good just before his second injury

If the player has been medically cleared, I have no problem with the player making the decision. 

I do, however, have a huge problem with a guy being medically cleared and deciding to sit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

If the player has been medically cleared, I have no problem with the player making the decision. 

I do, however, have a huge problem with a guy being medically cleared and deciding to sit.

Yes me too 

But for example my soccer team in sweden had a young player.  He get little hurt in a game but said it was okay. After that he played a full game with pain a week later. When he told the club they did x-ray and he had a broken bone in his foot. And then he missed more games because he wanted to play and sucked it up

Edited by hrasvalg

26 minutes ago, hrasvalg said:

Yes me too 

But for example my soccer team in sweden had a young player.  He get little hurt in a game but said it was okay. After that he played a full game with pain a week later. When he told the club they did x-ray and he had a broken bone in his foot. And then he missed more games because he wanted to play and sucked it up

Yeah, that’s a different situation. 

Since a few of you were discussing when Bratt would be back & who would make the call:  

Hynes said, in the case of ankle issues, it’s often easier to visually tell whether a player is ready to return to the lineup.

“You can see,” Hynes said. “You can see how they push off, how they stop and start.

“It’s really a combination of the most important feedback, which is what the player gives you, but, in this case, you also have the visual,” Hynes added.

http://www.northjersey.com/story/sports/nhl/devils/fireandice/2017/12/22/rookie-jesper-bratt-likely-play-saturday-devils-blackhawks-ankle-injury-john-hynes-new-york-rangers/977409001/

• Like 1

On 12/27/2017 at 10:52 AM, Bonginator11 said:

Looks like Palms and Boyle are both on the ice for morning skate. Hopefully that means both are playing tonight.

Finally 100%, with some line stability... can't wait

so much for line stability

Edited by EdgeControl
  • Like 2

With Prout being waived, half of our defensive manning question has been answered.

When Mueller comes back the final one will be solved. The question then becomes how?

Santini and Butcher are the only defenders who are waivers exempt and frankly, don’t deserve to be sent down. Barring an injury, I guess Lovejoy would be the next man out, even though he had been playing significantly better this season as opposed to last. Do we waive him and risk having half of his cap hit for the duration of his contract, bringing our dead cap hits to over $3m or try to pry a pick out of someone?

Since this is the roster discussion thread I thought this was best posted here. From over on r/devils

https://streamable.com/a1ojk

EDIT: See ya Prout. The dude made Lucic bleed, he can sit in the press box and get paid all he wants as far as I am concerned. fvck Lucic.

Edited by NJDevils1214

Andy Greene, our captain..

hes been in positive territory the last 5 games getting his 18+ mins.. what do the metrics say about his year?  his corsi an Fenwick are below 50% but hes also getting 60 %+ DZS

he always played at a fast 110% pace, which made him a productive 1D, but his speed of play has dropped per my eye test..   is he playing as bad as were making him out to be???

10 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

Andy Greene, our captain..

hes been in positive territory the last 5 games getting his 18+ mins.. what do the metrics say about his year?  his corsi an Fenwick are below 50% but hes also getting 60 %+ DZS

he always played at a fast 110% pace, which made him a productive 1D, but his speed of play has dropped per my eye test..   is he playing as bad as were making him out to be???

Just going by the eye test, I think some of the statements of him being terrible were a bit exaggerated/over the top, but it does appear he has regressed a bit.  It was only a matter of time really given his age.

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

Just going by the eye test, I think some of the statements of him being terrible were a bit exaggerated/over the top, but it does appear he has regressed a bit.  It was only a matter of time really given his age.

he was always an over-achiever.. those types seem to go fast when the reactions and quickness start to regress.. the way hynes runs 3 pairings equally there is not a definitive 1, 2 or 3 .. so he can be hidden as a captain..  but I think his mins need to come down  which it seems like they are starting to..  its not like others are playing way better than andy either

12 hours ago, EdgeControl said:

he was always an over-achiever.. those types seem to go fast when the reactions and quickness start to regress.. the way hynes runs 3 pairings equally there is not a definitive 1, 2 or 3 .. so he can be hidden as a captain..  but I think his mins need to come down  which it seems like they are starting to..  its not like others are playing way better than andy either

He does not run them equally. Yes, in terms of time on ice but he matches D pairings hard which means Greene's minutes are always the toughest.

7 hours ago, Marshall said:

He does not run them equally. Yes, in terms of time on ice but he matches D pairings hard which means Greene's minutes are always the toughest.

yes. like i originally said, Greene gets a high percentage of DZS,, but sami see's the top lines too ... 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Didn't know where else to put this so figured I'd dig this up, but according to the beat writers both Schneider and Johansson worked out off ice today.

That Mojo is working out off ice is an extremely positive thing. I figured it'd be a few weeks before we even heard anything. Good news.

• Like 3