Roster Musings

EdgeControl

Just now, Triumph said:

Tanking is out of the question - even if the Devils lost 20 of their remaining games, something which they almost certainly will not do with how well they're playing right now, that still leaves them with 76 points and probably finishing around 7th to last.

its tough getting a top Defender through the draft that way, size, speed and skill players go fast.. drafting 7th gets you 2 of those 3

Just now, EdgeControl said:

its tough getting a top Defender through the draft that way, size, speed and skill players go fast.. drafting 7th gets you 2 of those 3

Lots of top defenders are drafted later than that.  Lots and lots.  So sure, Pietrangelo, Doughty, Provorov, Suter, Lindholm, and Hedman went in the top 10, but Letang, Subban, Weber, Karlsson, Gostisbehere, McDonagh, Chara, Parayko were not.  We can argue over some of the names here, but there's a lot of great D who were drafted relatively late.

5 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Brian Boyle with an astounding 1G, 1A, -6 in his last 20 games.  Seeing significant powerplay time, mind you.

At what point do you give him a sit for a few games.  Don't envy Hynes here, tough to scratch a guy with his story.

Missing tonight's game, so there's that

14 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Brian Boyle with an astounding 1G, 1A, -6 in his last 20 games.  Seeing significant powerplay time, mind you.

At what point do you give him a sit for a few games.  Don't envy Hynes here, tough to scratch a guy with his story.

At least his FO numbers are good...

59 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Lots of top defenders are drafted later than that.  Lots and lots.  So sure, Pietrangelo, Doughty, Provorov, Suter, Lindholm, and Hedman went in the top 10, but Letang, Subban, Weber, Karlsson, Gostisbehere, McDonagh, Chara, Parayko were not.  We can argue over some of the names here, but there's a lot of great D who were drafted relatively late.

I wonder if we're already seeing some kind of correction to that in the sense that fewer and fewer defenseman drafted outside of say the top 20 are going to be legit top pairing guys.  Even without hindsight, guys like Gudbrandson, Ryan Murray, and Dylan McIlrath are 100 percent not going to be drafted in the top ten and two of them probably not in the first or even second round. 

But you are correct that a team does not need to tank to get a really good defenseman in the draft, although you do have to be pretty lucky to select the right one. 

6 hours ago, Triumph said:

Its hard either way, drafting  top quality Defenseman is a crap shoot.. so many top 15 turn out to be, Eh....  and they take 4 years to see what you have.  wheres our joshi, faulk? carlson? Subban? edler? kingberg?   if we dont make the playoffs im hoping for the 12 th- 11th area.. IR cory if it gets to that point

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never know the rules on these things, but is it too late to bring anyone else up?  My initial instinct was why not Q... (would rather see him up here instead of Pietila anyway, but that's beside the point)

I never know the rules on these things, but is it too late to bring anyone else up?  My initial instinct was why not Q... (would rather see him up here instead of Pietila anyway, but that's beside the point)

Q is up, but he's injured (not to mention Hynes said the other day that Q is badly out of shape).

15 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Q is up, but he's injured (not to mention Hynes said the other day that Q is badly out of shape).

sh!t, didn't see either of those.  Great.  Bad time to have guys hurt, but it could be worse I guess.  Everyone keeps talking about Johansson and his potential return (and of course Schneider), but Gibbons hardly ever gets mentioned... is there a timetable for his return?