GDT: New Jersey @ Colorado 9pm

Derlique

Wins are wins and points are points.  This season I'm looking less at style points and making it more about a young team learning, evolving and trying to establish itself.  Playing games that have meaning in the standings and being competitive in the standings and the scoreboard.  Would there be things I would like this team to be doing when the puck is on their stick?  Absolutely.  But I'll take that improvement while the team has it's place in the standings now.  

This home and home with Columbus is the biggest series and most meaningful regular season games in ...a long damned time.  And I want meaningful games like this in February, March, and April.  And I believe that will happen.  Beat the Coyotes 1st.

8 minutes ago, Jersey Sure said:

Wins are wins and points are points.  This season I'm looking less at style points and making it more about a young team learning, evolving and trying to establish itself.  Playing games that have meaning in the standings and being competitive in the standings and the scoreboard.  Would there be things I would like this team to be doing when the puck is on their stick?  Absolutely.  But I'll take that improvement while the team has it's place in the standings now.  

This home and home with Columbus is the biggest series and most meaningful regular season games in ...a long damned time.  And I want meaningful games like this in February, March, and April.  And I believe that will happen.  Beat the Coyotes 1st.

Yeah this year was about evolving and getting better...a playoff appearance feels ahead of schedule, but it does feel like this team is very capable of staying in the race.  To me, the greatest "victory" of this season is Hischier and Bratt not only sticking beyond nine games, but continuing to play like they belong...we hoped for it with Nico, but no one could've seen that coming with Bratt prior to the season.  The team has also found ways to win with guys out of the lineup.  

Really hope Zajac starts getting some points soon.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah this year was about evolving and getting better...a playoff appearance feels ahead of schedule, but it does feel like this team is very capable of staying in the race.  To me, the greatest "victory" of this season is Hischier and Bratt not only sticking beyond nine games, but continuing to play like they belong...we hoped for it with Nico, but no one could've seen that coming with Bratt prior to the season.  The team has also found ways to win with guys out of the lineup.  

Really hope Zajac starts getting some points soon.

I'll be honest, I wasn't sure about Nico, given his size.  But he is one tough kid.  I think that plays into his ability to draw penalties, it seems everyone wants to take a shot at him.  And Travis needs to start hitting the score sheet.  Maybe with some line consistency that starts to happen.   I really hope Zacha finds his game as well. You mentioned belonging and looking like they belong in regards to Nico and Bratt.  Zacha needs for us to start making those comments. 

One thing that was noticeable about Vatanen, his shot.  I think it is the hardest one from the guys on our blueline. 

Nico, Bratt, and the team winning as much as it has is really allowing Zacha to fly under the radar...he'd really be getting killed right now otherwise.  Still gotta remember that he's a kid (doesn't turn 21 until April), but yeah, would be nice to see more production out of him as this season progresses.

• Like 1

I know it's near blasphemy to criticize Zajac on this board but it'd be nice to see him pick it up offensively.  He's been getting paid like a first line center for years and will be for the next few years.  Yes, he plays defense and takes face offs but he's been without an offensive game since Parise and Kovalchuk left the team. Just so used to seeing him shoot wide of the net. Would be nice to see him start burying those shots. 

Edited by slasher72

41 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

I know it's near blasphemy to criticize Zajac on this board but it'd be nice to see him pick it up offensively.  He's been getting paid like a first line center for years and will be for the next few years.  Yes, he plays defense and takes face offs but he's been without an offensive game since Parise and Kovalchuk left the team. Just so used to seeing him shoot wide of the net. Would be nice to see him start burying those shots. 

He's really not being paid that much anymore (especially since the cap's gone up since he signed his contract), and he has had some nice offensive runs here and there post-Parise and Kovy, but yeah, he can't just be an offensively nonentity from here on out who does a lot of little things.  Devils still need some production from him.  I would happily take 35-45 points per 82 GP at this rate (if he can be about what he was in three out of the past four seasons, I can live with that).

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

15 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He's really not being paid that much anymore (especially since the cap's gone up since he signed his contract), and he has had some nice offensive runs here and there post-Parise and Kovy, but yeah, he can't just be an offensively nonentity from here on out who does a lot of little things.  Devils still need some production from him.  I would happily take 35-45 points per 82 GP at this rate.

He's due $5.7 mil per year from now through 2021 with a NTC. That's a lot of money for a slowish center whose bet attribute is winning face offs and trying to square off against the other team's players. It's insane how Lou guaranteed him $5.7 mil for 8 years with the NTC yet he played hardball with Parise which ultimately led to his walking. 

Edited by slasher72

2 hours ago, Devils Pride 26 said:

I'd like to see Quennville get a call up sooner than later to audition for Stafford's spot. Hasn't done anything in a while.

As much as I don't like Stafford, Quenneville is just not going to be an RW at the NHL level.  I know they put him there last year but that's because they could see the pile of players ahead of him.  But Cammalleri's gone and so are Henrique and Blandisi.  He's definitely the first callup if there is an LW injury.

24 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

He's due $5.7 mil per year from now through 2021 with a NTC. That's a lot of money for a slowish center whose bet attribute is winning face offs and trying to square off against the other team's players. It's insane how Lou guaranteed him $5.7 mil for 8 years with the NTC yet he played hardball with Parise which ultimately led to his walking. 

Zach Parise is presently making $9M a season, and has made as much as $11M in a season.  So yeah, there's a rather massive difference between the two.  Also it's believed that ownership's financial trouble was a big reason why Lou did not make an offer of this size to keep Parise.  It's turned out to be a blessing that he didn't.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He conveniently ignored the part where I said that Lundqvist won't keep this up...he started slowly and has been pretty hot, but Pavelec not being good has forced the Rangers to start Lundqvist much more than they wanted to...no way was Plan A to start him in 23 out of 26 games to this point.  But between starting their season 1-5-2 and Pavelec being Pavelec, they had to get a little desperate.  Fortunately for them Henrik has played well for a while and they've recovered, but the Rangers could pay for this down the line...56 games left, 23 home, 33 road.  

I don't "conveniently ignore" anything...I am just providing the numerical evidence.

1 hour ago, slasher72 said:

AGREED.

Screw the rags, hopefully they implode.. but Im expecting them in the PO mix. it stinks that the Habs might make the post season and we may not.. washington is interesting, ovie is on fire yet they are stil on the outside.  we just need to beat good teams to have a shot  its going to be tight

55 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Also, wasn’t it reported that the Devils offer to Parise was identical, maybe even slightly better for Parise? It was clear he wanted Minnesota. And, as much as I loved him, boy I’m glad he picked there.

Plus Minnesota added a ridiculous signing bonus that the cash strapped Devils couldn't even think of matching. 20 million of something like that. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Read my above post....I have some solid reasons as to why this won't continue.  That's not to say that I think the Rangers are lousy and will sink out of the playoff race, but they're not going to tear it up from now through the end of the season.  And I can't rule out that they could eventually move past the Devils, but that would be due more to the Devils slumping for an extended period than the Rangers going crazy.  I know I harp on the Rags' early sched, but it was 100% tailor-made for them to get off to a tremendous start...think something along the lines of 17-6-3.  They had to ride an aging Lundqvist to just to get to 14-10-2...they came up 5 to 7 points short of what they should've been able to bank to this point.  Maybe the Rangers turn out to good enough that they can make up for this when their schedule evens out, and if they had their goaltending combo of two seasons ago and earlier, I'd be much more worried about that happening...I think they have a very tough road from here on out.

I didn't ignore your post, but read my first post to you. I wasn't really endorsing the OP's specific fear of the Rags catching the Devils. I'm just acknowledging that I see they're piling up win after win. I don't really know how long it can continue for and I'm not making any argument as to such but they're getting good play from a lot of their players right now. They have the fourth best GF/G (3.53) in the league from the time period starting Nov. 1st. Possession hasn't been as great but it hasn't been for the Devils either.

Re: Parise, not even I expected that contract to look THIS bad this early on. He has seven more years after this one, at a 7.5m cap hit and he had 42 points last year across 69 GP. I do not foresee a deep playoff run anywhere in Minnesota's near future.

I never bought that NJ made a matching offer, that sounded more like a narrative to quell the fans' upset at the time. I think we probably made a serious offer, but thank god Minnesota was absolutely irrelevant at the time and needed to do whatever it could to draw stars to the Wild.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EdgeControl said:

Screw the rags, hopefully they implode.. but Im expecting them in the PO mix. it stinks that the Habs might make the post season and we may not.. washington is interesting, ovie is on fire yet they are stil on the outside.  we just need to beat good teams to have a shot  its going to be tight

The Avs feed last night said they think the Caps are really missing MoJo and the secondary scoring he provided. 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 1

I missed this game, but was happy to see the Devils kept the MacKinnon line off the board. Looks like Vatanen got a lot of ice time, which is almost surprising, considering he didn't have a practice with the team yet. How did he look last night?

Also, what is going on with Zacha? Very little ice time again last night, despite being on a line with Zajac and Johansson. Was he benched late in the game?